Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Alisonison wrote: »
    Diabetes runs in my family, I haven't been diagnosed yet but I definitely want to track it just in case

I would still just track carbs.

This is actually a good point.

For diabetes, is there really a meaningful difference between what MFP counts as sugar (especially since it includes sugar from veggies, etc.) and refined carbs in general (or even, arguably, whole foods like potatoes)?

I don't know, since I'm lucky enough not to have a family history or any past blood glucose issues.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Diabetes runs in my family, I haven't been diagnosed yet but I definitely want to track it just in case

I would still just track carbs.

This is actually a good point.

For diabetes, is there really a meaningful difference between what MFP counts as sugar (especially since it includes sugar from veggies, etc.) and refined carbs in general (or even, arguably, whole foods like potatoes)?

I don't know, since I'm lucky enough not to have a family history or any past blood glucose issues.

I'm not diabetic, but for every diabetic in my family, they have a worse reaction after eating things like potatoes and bread than they do after eating cookies or candy.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    If it's mainly from natural foods like fruit then I wouldn't worry about it.

Sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from.

That's true -- but nobody is on this site because they got fat from eating apples. You're going to feel a lot more full eating fruit than you are eating candy and thus less likely to overdo it.
    You concede that sugar is sugar then make a bold assumption about how people became overweight.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options

That's true -- but nobody is on this site because they got fat from eating apples. You're going to feel a lot more full eating fruit than you are eating candy and thus less likely to overdo it.
    You concede that sugar is sugar then make a bold assumption about how people became overweight.

You know a lot of people that are fat from eating fruit?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Yes...and from eating meat, carbs, vegetables, sweets, pizza, dairy, and bread.

Since no one eats one and only one thing, it seems kinda silly to place all the blame of being overweight on one food, now doesn't it?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I know a few people that got fat as vegetarians. If all you have is hyperbole, you have nothing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

MY DAD'S ON THIS SITE AND HE GOT FAT FROM EATING APPLES!

Not really, but he did get fat from eating "whole foods." Why is it so hard to fathom that people can get fat NOT eating junk food?

And what do you mean by "whole foods"? If you're dad got fat eating fruits, vegetables, and lean meats then I'd say he definitely did something wrong. If you're talking about those things along with bread, rice, cheese, fatty meats, etc. then yeah I'd say it's certainly possible. The poster didn't ask if you could get fat eating "whole foods". She asked about sugar. Again I say it...nobody on here got fat from eating too much fruit.

I mean foods that are generally thought of as unprocessed. I'm just making a point that regardless of the food being consumed, you can get fat eating anything if it puts you in a calorie surplus.

That's just basic math. You're not taking into account the likelihood of someone actually doing that. Using fruit as an example most fruits are going to be much more filling than say a candybar. 45g of fruit will make you pretty damn full while probably not killing your calorie count whereas 45g of candy will probably kill your calorie count and you'll still be incredibly hungry. I'm not saying you're wrong. Anything can be unhealthy if not being consumed in moderation. The point is that 99.99999% of MFP is not here because they have an addiction to "whole foods".

Hmm, I'm not sure about that (obviously made up ;) ) statistic. I do agree about fruit, but it's actually pretty easy to over consume whole foods. Whole foods are delicious and some are very high calorie. Nuts, for example, can really rack up the calories quickly. And a well marbled ribeye is no less "whole" than an ultra lean filet mignon.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

MY DAD'S ON THIS SITE AND HE GOT FAT FROM EATING APPLES!

Not really, but he did get fat from eating "whole foods." Why is it so hard to fathom that people can get fat NOT eating junk food?

And what do you mean by "whole foods"? If you're dad got fat eating fruits, vegetables, and lean meats then I'd say he definitely did something wrong. If you're talking about those things along with bread, rice, cheese, fatty meats, etc. then yeah I'd say it's certainly possible. The poster didn't ask if you could get fat eating "whole foods". She asked about sugar. Again I say it...nobody on here got fat from eating too much fruit.

I mean foods that are generally thought of as unprocessed. I'm just making a point that regardless of the food being consumed, you can get fat eating anything if it puts you in a calorie surplus.

That's just basic math. You're not taking into account the likelihood of someone actually doing that. Using fruit as an example most fruits are going to be much more filling than say a candybar. 45g of fruit will make you pretty damn full while probably not killing your calorie count whereas 45g of candy will probably kill your calorie count and you'll still be incredibly hungry. I'm not saying you're wrong. Anything can be unhealthy if not being consumed in moderation. The point is that 99.99999% of MFP is not here because they have an addiction to "whole foods".

Not for me. I actually feel a lot more satisfied with a 10g chocolate lamb than I do with an apple, which can run up to 100 calories whilst my 10g chocolate lambs are only 57 calories
    My sister actually did get fat eating fruits and vegetables and lean meats. She ate too many of them. Many fruits are actually quite calorific.

OP - get a test to see if you are diabetic or not. If not, then there's no real reason to track sugar. If yes, then follow your doctor's advice. MFP's sugar recommendations are pretty low anyway.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    anyone else hitting their sugars too early in the day? I've got mine set to 49 and I always hit it after lunch totally sucks. Any advice?

Not sure what you are eating now, but it seems to me one way to redistribute your sugar so you have more at dinner, is to go easy on starchy foods at breakfast and lunch and eat vegetables instead. It's not an easy thing to stay low on sugar, I almost always went over it, so I stopped tracking it - I guess that's the head-in-the-sand method of eating.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

There's someone here who says she gained weight from bananas. I think she was a raw vegan for a while.

I didn't get fat from fruit--I probably didn't eat that much fruit when I was gaining--but I also didn't eat that many sweets when I was gaining. (I ate lots of whole foods and dairy products/olive oil that happened to include a good bit of fat, and I got lazy after working late and picked up Indian food far too often and tended to be overly indulgent with the savory stuff at nice restaurants. So I don't see what we got fat on as especially relevant. Not everyone went nuts with sweets.)
  • jennakearney
    jennakearney Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That wad getting to me too. I love fruit and enjoy snacking on it but found I was going over my sugar for the day. Need some alternative snack ideas?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Nuts and cheese. More calories, though. Raw veggies (kind of obvious) -- maybe more exciting with hummus or baba ganoush (my preference). Cottage cheese.

I don't see the problem with fruit, though.