I dont know what type of foods to eat.

Options
sortiz0114
sortiz0114 Posts: 1 Member
I just joined and I need help on what to cook and how to keep my meals portions can anyone help me out ?
I would really appreciate the help. :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you loved before, just in smaller portions
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat what you normally do, only at a deficit. The best advice is to get a food scale. Good luck!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you enjoy. You just need to weigh out all solids and measure out all liquids to make sure you are eating the proper portion.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want, but less of it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I see you are 18 with about 80 pounds to go...

Why don't you log your food into MFP for a week or two. Get an idea of what you eat now and how many calories are in the foods you eat. Log the portions you eat.. and then look at what is recommended on the food products.

YOu should learn to weigh and measure your foods this is extremely important!!!!!!

Once you see the numbers and amounts/portion sizes, you choose the foods you like to eat and log it until your reach your daily calorie MFP recommended to lose X pounds a week..

Do this one week and you will get the hang of it. You can eat the same foods you always have, just less of it! :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Decide what you want to eat, enter it in your diary, and see how much of it you can have. You can adjust the numbers as many times as you need to in order to make everything fit. You can also delete things you've pre-entered in cases where you decide you'd rather have something else. The trick is just to make what you eat fit. That's the main rule. I enter my dinner after I've had breakfast and then I see how many calories I have left for lunch and snacks. I fiddle with the portion sizes to make everything work.

This!

It's like a puzzle when you prelog. If you put in your dinner and you see what you have remaining, perhaps you can't have the WHOLE serving of what you had in mind for lunch, but you can weigh out "x" amount of grams instead. Or you can eliminate an ounce of meat from dinner, etc.

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Yes weighing and logging your food into MFP is key. Once you have done it for a week or so you will see where to make the changes. Don't over complicate it, just keep to the calorie goal MFP sets for you and you will lose weight. Get some exercise in and then you can use some of the calories you earn to eat a bit more if you want to. If you can eat a bit more fruit, veg and lean meats and fish this is good and healthy. But the important thing is to keep to the calorie goal so if you want to eat your favourite foods have a treat here and then you can as long as it fits in your goal.

You will find tons of information on the forums, recipes and tips on foods. Look around, make some friends and have fun.

Be patient it wont happen overnight but you will get there.

mdijdf750853.png
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Eat what you normally do, only at a deficit. The best advice is to get a food scale. Good luck!
    This
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Ditto on what everyone is saying about weighing or measuring food. Look at the nutrition label on a jar of peanut butter and note that it gives a serving size in "tablespoons" and "grams". With a food like peanut butter, it's more accurate to weigh it on a food scale, because we all have a different idea of what a tablespoon of food looks like, right?. With an actual weight in grams, it is much more accurate, especially with a calorie-dense food like peanut butter. While I hate to get all preachy on you, I would suggest you keep your diet simple whole foods, rather than protein bars or other processed foods. There is a tendency to believe that these bars have some magical quality for people trying to lose weight, but they are, in fact, just a means for the big food corporations to cash in on vulnerable people (like myself) who are trying to get more fit. An apple and a hard-boiled egg will be more satisfying than a chocolate protein bar -- and better for your overall health. Also suggest you do some reading on weight-loss and diets from reputable sources. You will find a lot of opinion in the MFP community, some more sane than others, if you know what I mean...
  • arditarose
    Options
    Ditto on what everyone is saying about weighing or measuring food. Look at the nutrition label on a jar of peanut butter and note that it gives a serving size in "tablespoons" and "grams". With a food like peanut butter, it's more accurate to weigh it on a food scale, because we all have a different idea of what a tablespoon of food looks like, right?. With an actual weight in grams, it is much more accurate, especially with a calorie-dense food like peanut butter. While I hate to get all preachy on you, I would suggest you keep your diet simple whole foods, rather than protein bars or other processed foods. There is a tendency to believe that these bars have some magical quality for people trying to lose weight, but they are, in fact, just a means for the big food corporations to cash in on vulnerable people (like myself) who are trying to get more fit. An apple and a hard-boiled egg will be more satisfying than a chocolate protein bar -- and better for your overall health. Also suggest you do some reading on weight-loss and diets from reputable sources. You will find a lot of opinion in the MFP community, some more sane than others, if you know what I mean...

Not for me!
  • bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am on the go a lot and often had fast food because I couldn't cook. Thankfully I don't have to give it up, just change what I get, and it still tastes great and works well! Chipotle is the best. You get a salad with steak or chicken and beans and veggies and you got a healthy meal there with lots of protein. Likewise I do a grilled chicken salad at Wendy's or Chick Fil A.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What's your goal? The number on the scale? Your health? Both?

If it's BOTH: eat mostly nutrient dense foods such as high quality carbs (green vegetables, legumes, fruit); high quality protein (lean meats, high quality tofu...); good fats (avocados, nuts, seeds); dairy etc. Limit heavily refined snacks, eat at a deficit.

I like the idea of pre-logging (for a while) to get a sense of things.

• walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Wish people, would stop telling people to eat whatever. You cant eat just ben and jerrys and only drink coke
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Wish people, would stop telling people to eat whatever. You cant eat just ben and jerrys and only drink coke

who is advocating a diet of ben and jerry's and coke all day??? nice straw man argument...

eat whatever you want means eat the foods that you were previously eating, just eat less of them. So yes, eat nutrient dense foods, but at the same time you can eat treats like ice cream, cookies, pizza, etc.

• ndj1979
    Options
    OP ..get a food scale and weigh, log, measure everything into MFP.

Eat nutrient dense foods like vegetables, fish, chicken, fruit, lean meats, etc, but, at the same time, you can still eat foods you enjoy like pizza, cookies, ice cream, etc. Just make sure to maintain your calorie deficit.
  • tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure. Get measuring cups and measuring spoons. Get a food scale that is easy to use. Use these religiously. At first it seems like a hassle but it starts coming naturally pretty quick. Plus, and here's the biggie, it works! Keep us informed. We're all rooting for you!
  • arditarose
    Options

Really? I haven't seen that suggested here once. Ever. Nice try.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

@walkonfire5 NO ONE here is telling anyone to just eat Ben and Jerry's and only drink Coke.

Everyone is suggesting you eat all foods in moderation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

@walkonfire5 NO ONE here is telling anyone to just eat Ben and Jerry's and only drink Coke.

Actually, I can see why several folks' posts could be interpreted that way. IIFYC seems to be the motto of this thread. That said, I KNOW based on a million of these threads, that that's not what they MEAN. But several people did say eat whatever you want (variously stated) as long as it's under the calorie goal.
    I'm of the mind that "eat whatever you want" have become as meaningless as so many other DIET words (clean eating etc.) have. cheers
  • ndj1979
    Options

Actually, I can see why several folks' posts could be interpreted that way. IIFYC seems to be the motto of this thread. That said, I KNOW based on a million of these threads, that that's not what they MEAN. But several people did say eat whatever you want (variously stated) as long as it's under the calorie goal.
    I'm of the mind that "eat whatever you want" have become as meaningless as so many other DIET words (clean eating etc.) have. cheers

how on earth would ever conflate "eat whatever you want" with ben and jerry's all day? You know that is a ridiculous straw man argument….

I am pretty sure the posters in this thread said eat what you currently eat, just less of it, or some variant of that.

and I have yet to come across a person that has a diet comprised of 100% ben and jerrys….