Women - how much do you squat?

Options
sengalissa
sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Please give me your bodyweight, your reps and your weight for back squats.

I am 130lbs, and I do 5x5 130lbs. I am confused because after one year of lifting, mostly on a deficit, I seem to be doing pretty well given this: http://bretcontreras.com/impressive-strength-levels/ but as much as I trust Bret Contreras, I don't believe squatting 130lbs for me/bodyweight is a lot for a woman. I am looking for a reality check here.

I work out all by myself, and it is important for me to know which lifts I should be able to do more because I have no comparison whatsoever.*

*(I have to say that my pull-ups (1-2 unassisted) and my bench (50lbs 5x5) still suck, so maybe my lower body is just really good while my upper body is still weak? Also, I hip thrust 220lbs 5x5 and I have only done hip thrusts for 6 months, mostly on a deficit. So... there is still a lot of room for improvement, I feel.)

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Why not compare where you are now, to where you started? Unless your goal is to compete in powerlifting or Oly lifting competitions, YOU is a far, far better, more accurate, and *safer* comparison than people with totally different body shapes/weight loss experiences ('cause if you start off heavier and lose weight, you can retain muscle versus starting off skinny and having to build it) and athletic backgrounds.

If you're advancing through the ranks or at least numerically after a year, I'd say you're doing pretty darn well. :)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    "Comparison is the thief of joy."

It doesn't matter what anyone else squats. It doesn't matter what you read in a book. What matters is that you keep progressing.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    If you're following StrongLifts, the progression is built into the program -- that would be all you would need to worry about -- if you can increase then do so, if not, keep working at the level your are on.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8 135 lbs and also 5x5 130 lbs so we're very close to the same stats. I have squated a bit heavier but i didn't count it because my form was off.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    "Comparison is the thief of joy."

It doesn't matter what anyone else squats. It doesn't matter what you read in a book. What matters is that you keep progressing.

+1

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    He has a chart based on strength levels of women he has trained over the years. Remember that most women you see on YouTube or online forums who squat big numbers have been at it for quite awhile. Not just a year.

http://bretcontreras.com/female-strength-levels/

As far as what I squat, 75 is my heaviest and that's with 4 good reps and 1 omgihatefingsquats rep. And that's on a good day. Squatting is my most difficult exercise by far. I quit back squats entirely and just do front squats for heavy days now.

But yeah, just focus on yourself. I'm fine with my slower progress. I'm adding 5 lbs a month and working well below that most of the time since I do 5/3/1.

Oh, I'm 147 lbs.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    84kg body weight, platform proven at 120kg, recently hit 145kg for a single in training.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Why not compare where you are now, to where you started? Unless your goal is to compete in powerlifting or Oly lifting competitions, YOU is a far, far better, more accurate, and *safer* comparison than people with totally different body shapes/weight loss experiences ('cause if you start off heavier and lose weight, you can retain muscle versus starting off skinny and having to build it) and athletic backgrounds.

If you're advancing through the ranks or at least numerically after a year, I'd say you're doing pretty darn well. :)

I don't get that she's comparing, more that she is trying to get a feel for what a reasonable goal is, so she doesn't try to progress to a weight where she could get hurt (since she doesn't have someone on hand to help if she needs to bail out).

I'm a beginning lifter, so my stats will be useless to you, OP. But I think you'll know when you are going too heavy because your form will start to break down or you won't be able to complete all your sets. At that point, you can just quit adding weight or add only when you get to the point where you can complete all lifts with excellent form.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sengalissa wrote: »
    Please give me your bodyweight, your reps and your weight for back squats.

I am 130lbs, and I do 5x5 130lbs. I am confused because after one year of lifting, mostly on a deficit, I seem to be doing pretty well given this: http://bretcontreras.com/impressive-strength-levels/ but as much as I trust Bret Contreras, I don't believe squatting 130lbs for me/bodyweight is a lot for a woman. I am looking for a reality check here.

I work out all by myself, and it is important for me to know which lifts I should be able to do more because I have no comparison whatsoever.*

*(I have to say that my pull-ups (1-2 unassisted) and my bench (50lbs 5x5) still suck, so maybe my lower body is just really good while my upper body is still weak? Also, I hip thrust 220lbs 5x5 and I have only done hip thrusts for 6 months, mostly on a deficit. So... there is still a lot of room for improvement, I feel.)

I'm 5'8, 160lb and when pushed by PT I can squat 3 sets of 12 at 65Kg so that's 143lbs, I have no idea what my 1 rep maximum is .. but I haven't really worked to build it yet tbh

I'm only at jump into pull-up at the moment .. still looking to crack that
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not that it matters because none of us are built the same- we have different bone engineering (the way the bones sit in the sockets) so some of us are more successful at certain lifts than others- and ultimately you should just continue to strive to get better at what you're doing.

There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Right now my working weight is around 180-200- and I can single squat (one rep max about 240) - I would at some point like to hit 300 pounds on my squat- but it's all baby steps- one step at a time.

edit- I'm 5'8" and 160ish pounds.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

I don't get that she's comparing, more that she is trying to get a feel for what a reasonable goal is, so she doesn't try to progress to a weight where she could get hurt (since she doesn't have someone on hand to help if she needs to bail out).

I'm a beginning lifter, so my stats will be useless to you, OP. But I think you'll know when you are going too heavy because your form will start to break down or you won't be able to complete all your sets. At that point, you can just quit adding weight or add only when you get to the point where you can complete all lifts with excellent form.

Thank, exactly that.

I had not been pushing my bench because I had no idea it was a weakness of mine. Now I focus more on that.
  • rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 98lb and after almost 12 months of lifting I can squat 110lb for 5 reps with a 132lb 1 rep max. If those numbers look odd it's because I've converted them from kg as everything is kg here.

I don't find squatting easy, I really have to bully myself to do it. I LOVE all other lifts, especially dead lifting, but squats are my nemesis. Every time I get under the bar I have to give myself the "if it's hard it's because you need to do it - nothing easy is worth doing" talk!

My PT always does that "you are totally amazing" speech, but I have to confess to putting that 100% down to the usual PT nonsense to keep their clients coming back, however looking at those strength levels posted I might actually be sitting just above average.

Oh and the other thing is that I'm eating like a mad thing. I've not managed to actually put on any noticeable amount of scale weight, but I've literally been scoffing 3000 calories a day for the last 12 months. I personally think bodyweight x 5 reps after 12 months on a cut is pretty impressive.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    120-ish lbs, I did 135lb for 1 rep after about 8 months of training. Felt like I could have handled another 5, maybe 10 lbs but I was doing Wendler's 5/3/1 and didn't deviate from that to go for it.

I'm working lighter than that now - did a cut, deloaded for form fixes, etc. Right now, I'm at 105 lb, 8 reps. Definitely could do more, but want to increase slowly and steadily.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options

This times a million.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Not that it matters because none of us are built the same- we have different bone engineering (the way the bones sit in the sockets) so some of us are more successful at certain lifts than others- and ultimately you should just continue to strive to get better at what you're doing.

There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Right now my working weight is around 180-200- and I can single squat (one rep max about 240) - I would at some point like to hit 300 pounds on my squat- but it's all baby steps- one step at a time.

edit- I'm 5'8" and 160ish pounds.

This.

I can hip thrust over 200 pounds for reps but my back squats are awful in comparison.

Plus, Bret's strength chart is a little different anyway. He looks at it more from the perspective of how you compare to the population as a whole rather than just seasoned lifters. I think it's purpose is to encourage us to look at the weight we lift as an accomplishment (it really is when you think about it since some many girls shy away from anything resembling strength).

ETA: I thought the link went to a different list he has. That one doesn't seem odd. The 130x5 example he had was just for front squats.
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    225 back and 205 front. I'm working on a squat progression program right now to increase my front and back squat...I hope that after two rounds I'll be maxing out close to 275 (back) at the end of the year. Fingers crossed.
  • Adrianamarie89
    Adrianamarie89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Comparatively im short and fat and built for powerlifting... Thankfully I love it just started training again 5'4" 170lbs 200 1RM
  • JoRocka
    Options
    brandi9172 wrote: »
    225 back and 205 front. I'm working on a squat progression program right now to increase my front and back squat...I hope that after two rounds I'll be maxing out close to 275 (back) at the end of the year. Fingers crossed.

that's quiet a bit of weight to put on in 7 months. not trying to disappoint you- but I've gone up by about 15 pounds in the last 14-16 months and I've been training regularly. I mean- all kudo's to you if you can!! I'd love to hit 250 this year- but even my 240 squat isn't very good (hence why it's a single rep and yeah- it was REALLY fugly).

But as we said- everyone is different- so hat tip to you if you can add 50 pounds in that time!!!
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

that's quiet a bit of weight to put on in 7 months. not trying to disappoint you- but I've gone up by about 15 pounds in the last 14-16 months and I've been training regularly. I mean- all kudo's to you if you can!! I'd love to hit 250 this year- but even my 240 squat isn't very good (hence why it's a single rep and yeah- it was REALLY fugly).

But as we said- everyone is different- so hat tip to you if you can add 50 pounds in that time!!!

If you're just starting though, it's possible with beginner gains. I've seen it time and again with new lifters. What I also see is them drop out of the sport when the awesome gains slow to an incremental crawl or go backwards due to injuries or life.

I can't seem to get past 240. I'd like to hit 242.5 (110kg) at a meet in July. I just rely on deadlift to bring my total up :smile:

bw 125
  • JoRocka
    Options

If you're just starting though, it's possible with beginner gains. I've seen it time and again with new lifters. What I also see is them drop out of the sport when the awesome gains slow to an incremental crawl or go backwards due to injuries or life.

I can't seem to get past 240. I'd like to hit 242.5 (110kg) at a meet in July. I just rely on deadlift to bring my total up :smile:

bw 125
    I would agree if she was a beginner- 225 back squat doesn't exactly sound like beginner though- unless i TOTALLY misread that whole post!!!

LOL- yes ma'am that's the way to do it!!!!