Women - how much do you squat?

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft 7 151 lbs and have been lifting for almost 2 years.

Did 9 months of SL 5x5, a summer of SL 3x5 and now 9th month of 5/3/1

My max squat atm is 210...based on a calc in my app...I know I have squatted 205x5 so that's not unreasonable.

As for that link http://bretcontreras.com/impressive-strength-levels/ eh not sure about this. Just because of where it puts me...
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    brandi9172 wrote: »
    225 back and 205 front. I'm working on a squat progression program right now to increase my front and back squat...I hope that after two rounds I'll be maxing out close to 275 (back) at the end of the year. Fingers crossed.

that's quiet a bit of weight to put on in 7 months. not trying to disappoint you- but I've gone up by about 15 pounds in the last 14-16 months and I've been training regularly. I mean- all kudo's to you if you can!! I'd love to hit 250 this year- but even my 240 squat isn't very good (hence why it's a single rep and yeah- it was REALLY fugly).

But as we said- everyone is different- so hat tip to you if you can add 50 pounds in that time!!!

If you're just starting though, it's possible with beginner gains. I've seen it time and again with new lifters. What I also see is them drop out of the sport when the awesome gains slow to an incremental crawl or go backwards due to injuries or life.

I can't seem to get past 240. I'd like to hit 242.5 (110kg) at a meet in July. I just rely on deadlift to bring my total up :smile:

bw 125
    I would agree if she was a beginner- 225 back squat doesn't exactly sound like beginner though- unless i TOTALLY misread that whole post!!!

LOL- yes ma'am that's the way to do it!!!!
    It certainly wasn't my starting weight. However, I've seen some strong girls get on the platform for the first time and kill it. On Saturday I saw a 185lb woman pull 419 at her first meet. At the same meet I saw a 125lb woman squat 264 at her first meet. Mind you, I'm in the front row to see a ton of new lifters start competing so that type of thing starts to seem more commonplace.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    225 back and 205 front. I'm working on a squat progression program right now to increase my front and back squat...I hope that after two rounds I'll be maxing out close to 275 (back) at the end of the year. Fingers crossed.

that's quiet a bit of weight to put on in 7 months. not trying to disappoint you- but I've gone up by about 15 pounds in the last 14-16 months and I've been training regularly. I mean- all kudo's to you if you can!! I'd love to hit 250 this year- but even my 240 squat isn't very good (hence why it's a single rep and yeah- it was REALLY fugly).

But as we said- everyone is different- so hat tip to you if you can add 50 pounds in that time!!!

If you're just starting though, it's possible with beginner gains. I've seen it time and again with new lifters. What I also see is them drop out of the sport when the awesome gains slow to an incremental crawl or go backwards due to injuries or life.

I can't seem to get past 240. I'd like to hit 242.5 (110kg) at a meet in July. I just rely on deadlift to bring my total up :smile:

bw 125

<sadface>Oh how I wish I had better beginner gains with squats.</sadface> Lol. I'm one of the people who just aren't built great for squatting. That's okay. I just keep working at what I can do and even though they aren't as heavy as many can go, I like the results I am getting from them.
  • Tewmom1
    Tewmom1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 6 203lbs when working with my PT i have done 140lbs for three sets of 6. Of course that is with a lot of encouragement! :)
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I echo the sentiment that the only thing that really matters is your own progress. I took a peek at the Bret link and I’m not so sure about those numbers.

I confess I do like to track my progress based on performance standard measures though - I think it’s fun to track my gains. I like two websites for this. Here you can see 1 rep max standards for adult lifters (men and women) by exercise, and on here you plug in your information and it shows how you fare in each lift category.

For the sake of discussion, I’m 5’4”, 128lbs, got back to lifting for 3 months now (I had done it in the past but stopped for about a year), I’m eating in a deficit, and I squat 125lbs for 3x5. My upper body is incredibly weak in comparison, though.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My 3 rep max at the beginning of March was 210# (I was trying to go for a 5 rep) I was a couple of pounds heavier in March so maybe 140-142# I'm 5'6.
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

bw 125
    I would agree if she was a beginner- 225 back squat doesn't exactly sound like beginner though- unless i TOTALLY misread that whole post!!!

You didn't miss it, but yeah I've only been lifting about 6 months, so total newbie to the lifting game. I always had crazy strong legs...so I guess that's what I've got going for me, lol. I know 275 is a crazy goal...I'm okay if I don't hit it though. Like I said...fingers crossed, lol. :D
    And no dropping out for me...I'm not looking to compete, I'm only looking to be awesomely me, whatever that means. :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    This does remind me I should come up with a new goal for squats once I'm in a program that works on them on a regular basis (some of the stages in NROLFW don't). I made it to 165 x 3 back when my weight was 162. Took a while as I've been on deficit since September and started lifting start of November. Hoping to work on increasing squat and deadlift over summer though. Slow and steady with some personal goals to boost my focus, that's what works for me.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" 282lbs and my pt has me squatting 3x15 reps of 40 kg. But the week before tom I can only do 20 kg but even at my largest of 311lbs I was doing daily bodyweight squats.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

bw 125

You didn't miss it, but yeah I've only been lifting about 6 months, so total newbie to the lifting game. I always had crazy strong legs...so I guess that's what I've got going for me, lol. I know 275 is a crazy goal...I'm okay if I don't hit it though. Like I said...fingers crossed, lol. :D
    And no dropping out for me...I'm not looking to compete, I'm only looking to be awesomely me, whatever that means. :)

275 isn't unrealistic. One of my team mates did the same thing when she was starting out. Good luck.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'3", 140lbs and am currently squatting 132lbs. I have been following stronglifts 5x5 3 days a week since September. So it has taken 9 months to get to this point. I have been eating tdee 1400 calories which is a small deficit.