what kind of protein powders do you use

Options
13»

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Is there one that tastes decent? All the ones I've tried taste like rotted cardboard to me. Not that I have experience with that, just guessing.

(i guess a whey one - there are issues with soy, right?)

I don’t think I’ve ever tried a bad one, but I’ve only tried whey and plant-based. I didn’t love Dymatize in strawberry kiwi. Otherwise, I like vanilla or chocolate ones - usually a safe bet. I have a Kaizen vanilla whey now and it’s great because it’s not too sweet (and pretty cheap). Unflavoured is always an option if taste is a concern :smile:.
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use Plant Fusion, in chocolate and plain. The chocolate is great. The plain is "meh" but I've yet to find something better that is dairy and soy free to put in fruit smoothies.
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Manitoba Harvest Hemp70 Protein Powder
  • kchezelle
    kchezelle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    TLS protein shakes
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Is there one that tastes decent? All the ones I've tried taste like rotted cardboard to me. Not that I have experience with that, just guessing.

I don’t think I’ve ever tried a bad one, but I’ve only tried whey and plant-based. I didn’t love Dymatize in strawberry kiwi. Otherwise, I like vanilla or chocolate ones - usually a safe bet. I have a Kaizen vanilla whey now and it’s great because it’s not too sweet (and pretty cheap). Unflavoured is always an option if taste is a concern :smile:.

Thank you! :)
  • simplymonicav
    simplymonicav Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Vega <3
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    the Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder - Vanilla (decent taste)
    1 scoop = 170 calories / 30 grams protein.
    Reasonable cheap ($18) and mixes well with milk, etc. Bakes very nicely as well.
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. We use the french vanilla creme flavor to make flavored shakes or when I just want something basic. And the rocky road to cure sweet tooth. Really good mixed w/ almond vanilla milk or vanilla soy milk (light or regular), pb2 (peanut butter), and even add in a banana if you want. (Depending of course on the nutrients you need.) They even taste amazing just mixed with plain water. No gritty texture or residue as long as you mix with a shaker bottle or blender of course. And no horrible after taste. They haven't given me any digestion issues (which lower quality brands such as six star nutrition usually give digestion problems for most people).

There's also one by Fitmiss Delight-- Vanilla Chai which was alright flavor wise but very weak and watery when tasting mixed with even the minimal amount of water (4oz). If you try this one I would STRONGLY recommend mixing it with milk of some sort to thicken the shake or help the flavor retain.

Try some out, find what works for you. :smile:
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

Happy to whey in (see what I did there??) :smile:
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
    You can see the rankings based on a couple different criteria, e.g. sugar-free. After the supplement scandal following NY AG legal action, I was beginning to doubt that these contain what they purport to at all. It reassured me, anyway.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Whey.
    I like the strawberry, vanilla and chocolate peanut butter.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

Happy to whey in (see what I did there??) :smile:

Lol - I did, I did - hat tipped!
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Base performance...whey
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've liked the bag of Myprotein I bought.

I had a sample of Quest strawberry powder and really liked it. I'd buy a tub if it weren't so expensive.
  • weightliftingbarbie
    weightliftingbarbie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Gold standard and pro elite :)
  • lookingtobesmall
    lookingtobesmall Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I do it as a meal count my calories and exercise
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I actually use Thrive by Le-vel..and love it! I use it more as a vitamin supplement, but the shakes are packed with protein too. It seems to have stepped up my workout progress and I'm definitely seeing it on the scale!
  • tcbutler8627
    tcbutler8627 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    the Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder - Vanilla (decent taste)
    1 scoop = 170 calories / 30 grams protein.
    Reasonable cheap ($18) and mixes well with milk, etc. Bakes very nicely as well.

Their chocolate peanut butter is pretty good too!
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Bluebonnet Dual Action Chocolate... it's Whey and Casein, the casein digests more slowly, so you feel fuller longer. It's very tasty and no added sugar, just like 5 ingredients. one scoop (34g) = 26g Protein and about 120 cals. I mix with Unsweetened Cashew Milk and it's so effin good... sometimes I pour over my cereal.

A 2 lb tub has 30ish servings ( I weigh mine and definitely use more than "a serving" some days, less others) and it came out to around $1.35 a serving for me. I don't have a shake everyday, so this is a good value for me.
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Vega. I add it to my overnight oats, or just mix it up with pineapple juice for a quick intake of protein when I know I did not get enough during the day (especially after a work out)