What is the real purpose for Whey Protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    LadyFencer wrote: »
    It is a byproduct of manufacturing cheese and yogurt. The popularity of Greek yogurt in particular has created a huge excess of it, so it's become very important to convince people they need it. Don't fall for the hype. You get plenty of protein from real food.

I can remember protein powder being around long before I ever heard of Greek yogurt.

Never said it didn't exist before- just that there's an even bigger need to unload it now.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It is a byproduct of manufacturing cheese and yogurt. The popularity of Greek yogurt in particular has created a huge excess of it, so it's become very important to convince people they need it. Don't fall for the hype. You get plenty of protein from real food.
    That's a pretty generalized statement there. Without looking at a person's food choices how on earth can you know if they are getting "plenty of protein from real food."
    Maybe you meant to say that " You CAN get plenty of protein from real food."

I'll adjust slightly to clarify. If you are eating real food and not junk and you are getting enough calories, it is virtually impossible to be getting too little protein. That is a fact.

Define what too little is.
    I would argue it depends on your goal.
    If you are aiming for bare minimum, sure. Not everyone is.
    I competed in a bodybuilding competition and was aiming for between 30-40% of my calories in protein. I also was not eating "junk". Every meal had a protein source. I still used protein powder to help me reach my goal at times. It could be difficult to hit the amounts I needed with just food. It was also a lot of food.
    Even now I still have to focus on hitting my protein.
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sure. If you set some arbitrary goal you might not reach it. I was referring only to the dietary needs of human beings. Body builder or not, nobody needs that much. Some body builders achieve their goals with steroids. That doesn't mean they need them. Do you really think God or evolution designed you to need a highly processed product like that?
    Anyway, arguing about protein on a forum like this is like arguing about religion. I'm sure lots of people will vehemently disagree. I stand by what I said but I'm not going to put more time into this discussion. Just to avoid accusations of ideology, I should probably add that I'm not a vegetarian or vegan.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Sure. If you set some arbitrary goal you might not reach it. I was referring only to the dietary needs of human beings. Body builder or not, nobody needs that much. Some body builders achieve their goals with steroids. That doesn't mean they need them. Do you really think God or evolution designed you to need a highly processed product like that?
    Anyway, arguing about protein on a forum like this is like arguing about religion. I'm sure lots of people will vehemently disagree. I stand by what I said but I'm not going to put more time into this discussion. Just to avoid accusations of ideology, I should probably add that I'm not a vegetarian or vegan.

You are referring to the minimum dietary needs. Not everyone has the same needs. Even the recommendations are a range and specify the minimum for non-active people.

I never said you need protein powder, I'm fairly certain I made it quite clear you don't. But it can be useful. There are a lot of things we use that we weren't designed to need.
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I take it after working out along with a banana , it's whats for breakfast.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Unless you don't always have much of an appetite. Contrary to being overweight, the past few years, I managed to consume a lot of calories without consuming a huge volume of food due to chronic low-level nausea. I was eating calorie dense food and maintaining a high weight as a result.

Anyway, my point is? I don't always have the appetite or the desire to eat regular food. Sometimes a protein smoothie is the perfect thing for me.

Edit: I should add that I'm a vegetarian who firmly believes man evolved enough to invent things. "Processing" is a bugbear I don't fear.

• ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That's a pretty generalized statement there. Without looking at a person's food choices how on earth can you know if they are getting "plenty of protein from real food."

I'll adjust slightly to clarify. If you are eating real food and not junk and you are getting enough calories, it is virtually impossible to be getting too little protein. That is a fact.

Just saying, I struggle to get enough protein in my diet, and I eat "real food". Gah, except this week. Don't look at this week lmao.

It takes a concerted effort on my part to get enough protein in my diet. Just saying that it might not be as easy for others as it is for you.

Edited to add: my protein goal is 25-30%, or around 100g per day. I don't see that as excessive at all. And yet it's still difficult to meet.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Good! I'm the first person who gets to say this. Whey protein is the mamma cow's way of providing nourishing protein to her calf. That's it's purpose.

We've re-purposed of course.

Actually most of Momma Cow's Milk is casein, i think like 80%, with the other 20% whey...
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you are eating real food and not junk and you are getting enough calories, it is virtually impossible to be getting too little protein. That is a fact.

Declaring your dubious opinions to be a fact, doesn't make it so.

So.. you stand by your dubious opinions. That's nice. That still doesn't make your opinions facts.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Nope, still your opinion, not a fact. The world is full of misguided people who think if they live on quinoa and kale, they have all they need to survive, at least until their first doctor's appt.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Think of it at as a more versatile chicken breast, only that it is cheaper per serving. All it is, is another dietary source of protein whether you choose to consume is up to you. Technically it can be used while you are losing weight, maintaining weight or gaining. But that is up to the consumer of the latter.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Whey protein moves quickly through the digestive system to provide the body with the amino acids it needs, especially after workouts.
  • lchillies
    lchillies Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have recently been taking protein shakes/bars because i was never hitting my calorie goals. I work out 4/5 days a week at a very high intensity and wasnt getting anywhere apart from very fatigued. Since using protein i am seen results in my perfermonce, am able to workout much harder and am noticing changes in my body.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Since you have all the answers, why are you here?