Paleo

Options
Jessica_8587
Jessica_8587 Posts: 17 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!!

I'm on week two doing a paleo diet. I don't crave bread now, which is great! I'm having a hard time getting my calories up they have only been 800-900 but keeping my carbs at 50 or lower.

Any suggestions? If you have any recipes that would be great!

I'm getting tired of salads.. just the thought of them makes me sick! lol

I have a stationary bike that I do for 30 minutes a day and have a couple 3lb weights that I occasionally throw in to the workout. I also do a workout I find on YouTube every now & then.

I want to lose weight so I cut my fruits down to once a day

If you want to add me to look at my diary you are more than welcome!

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but 800-900 sounds really low for Paleo. What are you eating now? Are you getting enough fat?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Are nuts and seeds okay on your Paleo version?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Don't you just cut out grains and dairy on Paleo. So you can eat anything else? Like steak?
  • JoKessho
    JoKessho Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do you eat meat? And I agree with @janejellyroll, you probably need to increase fat. Add butter or oil (EVO, coconut, etc.), eat oily fish (if you eat fish), avocados... You can also go for fattier meats if you eat them
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You shouldn't be having a problem getting enough calories on paleo. (I could easily overeat on paleo.) Are you getting enough protein? Using a variety of meats? Including fats in every meal (coconut oil, olive oil, olives, nuts and seeds, avocado, meat again)? Including the starches that are okay within the paleo plan (sweet potatoes, potatoes, root veggies in general, depending on the particular version you follow, maybe other stuff)?

I think salads get boring too; I prefer to cook my veggies.

If you are low on calories, why keep fruits so low?

My familiarity with paleo (I did it for a while and do CrossFit, so know lots of people who do it) is not that it's a low carb diet, for what that's worth. Some stress putting the carbs around workouts, that's all.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Don't you just cut out grains and dairy on Paleo. So you can eat anything else? Like steak?

You also avoid legumes and (most) starchy vegetables.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but 800-900 sounds really low for Paleo. What are you eating now? Are you getting enough fat?

Echoing this. It sounds to me like you aren't getting nearly enough fat. Paleo should be high fat I believe.
  • Jessica_8587
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I cut out grains, dairy, sweets, sodas, pretty much everything besides meats, veggies, fruits, & nuts.

I do cook with olive oil and coconut oil and I use grassfed butter
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I cut out grains, dairy, sweets, sodas, pretty much everything besides meats, veggies, fruits, & nuts.

I do cook with olive oil and coconut oil

Before adding more calories, are you confident that your logging is accurate? Are you weighing your food, logging all oils, avoiding generic database entries, etc?

• Jessica_8587
    Options
    @JoKessho Yeah.. I eat meat.. the only meat I don't eat is fish/seafood because I don't like it and I don't like avocados lol
  • Jessica_8587
    Options
    @janejellyroll I don't weight my food (I know, I know!) so my calorie count could be wrong
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    @janejellyroll I don't weight my food (I know, I know!) so my calorie count could be wrong

I am going to recommend that you get a food scale and weigh your solid foods. Adding more calories when you aren't sure how much you're actually eating could backfire. If you're eating calorie dense foods (and it sounds like you are), the difference between what you're eating and what you think you're eating could be significant.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It was incredibly eye-opening for me when I bought my food scale. I bought one at Walmart for less than $20. Do I think it's the best? Not really, but certainly I'm closer with that than not using one.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way OP, but your calories are wayyyy too low and following the paleo diet isn't just about eating salads. At a minimum you should go no lower than 1,200 calories per day and I call BS on having a hard time getting any higher.

I'm not a fan of Paleo, but the idea is that you cut out processed foods and basically eat only organic meats and veggies (like someone from the paleoethic era would have) and they idea is you'll lose weight and look like they did (does anyone have any pictures of a caveman?).

Regardless of my criticisms paleo does help some people lose weight because the super restrictive nature of paleo. You can't go to McDonald's and you can't have the super double extra frap with extra whipped cream on top. Paleo isn't magic, people who lose on it are only doing so because they create a calorie deficit. I can just as easily (and happily) gain weight on paleo because I love organic steak and guacamole (whole foods guac is the best) and etc.

Here's a better plan,

1. Buy a food scale for home and the office (or one for your back pack if a student)
    2. Weigh all solids on food scale in grams, only liquids belong in measuring cup.
    3. Items like peanut butter should be weighed, not put in a measuring cup
    4. One trick, measure Jar of peanut butter before putting it on sandwhich, weigh container afterwords and boom,there's your serving amount
    5. Eat anything you want (even fast food), just make sure you record everything and keep yourself accountable.
    6. Shoot for a weight loss goal of .5 lbs to 1 lb per week and never exceed 2 lbs per week.
    7. Long term goals are healthier and better in the long run
    8. Any fad diet promising fast results is a lie or has serious consequences.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I am going to recommend that you get a food scale and weigh your solid foods. Adding more calories when you aren't sure how much you're actually eating could backfire. If you're eating calorie dense foods (and it sounds like you are), the difference between what you're eating and what you think you're eating could be significant.

Second.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I would say add more veggies cooked in butter or bacon grease. Also, a food scale would be very helpful. I do keto, which is similar to paleo and have zero issue getting enough calories, but I also eat dairy, so that helps as well.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Paleo doesn't have to be high fat at all. If you eat enough veggies and fruit you wouldn't need the increased fat intake at all. You need volume.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Second.

Third.
  • Jessica_8587
    Options
    @janejellyroll Thanks. I'll definitely look into picking one up!
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

I'm on week two doing a paleo diet. I don't crave bread now, which is great! I'm having a hard time getting my calories up they have only been 800-900 but keeping my carbs at 50 or lower.

Any suggestions? If you have any recipes that would be great!

I'm getting tired of salads.. just the thought of them makes me sick! lol

I have a stationary bike that I do for 30 minutes a day and have a couple 3lb weights that I occasionally throw in to the workout. I also do a workout I find on YouTube every now & then.

I want to lose weight so I cut my fruits down to once a day

If you want to add me to look at my diary you are more than welcome!

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!!

Take a look at my diary and cut the volume in half for your needs to start. Tinker with the volume to meet your calorie goal. You need a Vitamix or some blender to make it work but trust me - there's no going back to what I ate before, now that I have this program in place.