Paleo

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

I'm on week two doing a paleo diet. I don't crave bread now, which is great! I'm having a hard time getting my calories up they have only been 800-900 but keeping my carbs at 50 or lower.

Any suggestions? If you have any recipes that would be great!

I'm getting tired of salads.. just the thought of them makes me sick! lol

I have a stationary bike that I do for 30 minutes a day and have a couple 3lb weights that I occasionally throw in to the workout. I also do a workout I find on YouTube every now & then.

I want to lose weight so I cut my fruits down to once a day

If you want to add me to look at my diary you are more than welcome!

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!!

Take a look at my diary and cut the volume in half for your needs to start. Tinker with the volume to meet your calorie goal. You need a Vitamix or some blender to make it work but trust me - there's no going back to what I ate before, now that I have this program in place.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I can't stop laughing at the idea that one requires a Vitamix to make a Paleo diet work.
  • Jessica_8587
    Jessica_8587 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @tedboosalis7 Thanks, I'll check it out
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I more or less follow the paleo diet and I'm a competitive bodybuilder. When I'm in a cutting phase, I eat a lot of Shirataki Noodles. They are Japanese yam noodles with no calories and no carbs. You can find them at most Asian grocery shops. In the US they are usually refrig, but in the rest of the world, they are usually kept at room temp, so you may have to ask for them. I drain them, (they smell a bit fishy at first) run fresh water over them, then put them in a bowl of fresh water for 10 min, drain again, then place on a hot..like high...stove setting. Fry them for 6-8 mins, stirring often. Then mix them with whatever you wish. I make stir fry or spaghetti with them The noodles themselves have very little taste, so they will pick up the taste of the sauce you place them in. Now a bit TMI, they are a filler food, kind of like corn, so they will fill you up, but pass thru your stomach and out the other end more or less intacted. So while they have no calories, you have to wait till you "go" before the weight is released, if you get my drift. At least that is how it is with me. good luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way OP, but your calories are wayyyy too low...

OP isn't using a scale, so nobody knows how much OP is eating, so advice that intake is "wayyyy too low" is unlikely to be accurate.

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

OP isn't using a scale, so nobody knows how much OP is eating, so advice that intake is "wayyyy too low" is unlikely to be accurate.

Didn't see that until after I posted, spot on good point. She could be just as easily be over eating by not weighing and measuring properly.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Didn't see that until after I posted, spot on good point. She could be just as easily be over eating by not weighing and measuring properly.

Yeah, that wasn't revealed until later. :smile: There should be a little sticker on profile pics indicating whether someone weighs, would speed up some conversations.

Based on everything we know about human behavior, the odds strongly favour OP eating more than she thinks, rather than less.
  • Jessica_8587
    Options
    @Mr_Knight without weighing my food I admit it might be more.. but I'm not overeating. :smile: I'm going to get a scale and see how big of a difference that makes :smile:
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    @Mr_Knight without weighing my food I admit it might be more.. but I'm not overeating. :smile: I'm going to get a scale and see how big of a difference that makes :smile:

I don't think he meant "over-eating" in the way you took it -- he meant that it is probable that you are eating more calories than you think that you are.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

I'm on week two doing a paleo diet. I don't crave bread now, which is great! I'm having a hard time getting my calories up they have only been 800-900 but keeping my carbs at 50 or lower.

I have a stationary bike that I do for 30 minutes a day and have a couple 3lb weights that I occasionally throw in to the workout. I also do a workout I find on YouTube every now & then.

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!!

Take a look at my diary and cut the volume in half for your needs to start. Tinker with the volume to meet your calorie goal. You need a Vitamix or some blender to make it work but trust me - there's no going back to what I ate before, now that I have this program in place.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I can't stop laughing at the idea that one requires a Vitamix to make a Paleo diet work.

This

• Jessica_8587
    Options
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I was Paleo a few years ago and my days were way beyond above 800-900 calories. I ended up ditching it because it wasn't sustainable and didn't need to follow a restricted diet (and I couldn't both pay my rent and buy grass fed steak).

A few questions, OP:
    - Why are you following a Paleo diet?
    - What guidelines are you using said diet? In other words, what research/who are you following to get the food you can and cannot eat?
    - What is your ultimate caloric goal each day? What about your macro goals?

I can't see your diary, so I'm unable to accurately give feedback. Sorry!

And FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING GHEE GET A DAMN FOOD SCALE.

ETA: You don't need a Vitamix. For that matter, the entire time I was Paleo I don't think used my blender once.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    ETA: You don't need a Vitamix. For that matter, the entire time I was Paleo I don't think used my blender once.

Same here. I like to eat fruits and veggies (I assume that's what it's for?) whole.
  • Jessica_8587
    Options
    @SconnieCat lol I know! I'm going to pick up a darn food scale! Lol

Biggest reason for the paleo shift was wanting to get away from processed crap and hopefully eat better & lose some weight.

I've only been doing it since the first so I'm still getting the hang of it.

I've read a bunch of stuff online (I know I know!) Paleoleap was a big one. I know the basics.. No grains/dairy & all that jazz.

Mfp says my calorie goal should be 2200 but I'm shooting for 12-1500

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!!

who knew paleolithic people have blenders and viatmix....??
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!!

OMG, Me neither. I have tears rolling down my face. How did our ancestors survive?

OP, the only kitchen appliance you'll find really helpful is a good food scale.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    62136723.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Biggest reason for the paleo shift was wanting to get away from processed crap and hopefully eat better & lose some weight.

I've read a bunch of stuff online (I know I know!) Paleoleap was a big one. I know the basics.. No grains/dairy & all that jazz.

When MFP said your calorie goal should be 2200, how many pounds a week loss was that?

What is your current weight, age, and height?

While very obese people can sustain larger deficits, you don't want to go too aggressive, or you really run the risk of losing more muscle mass than usually happens with weight loss.

• forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your deficit is too much. You will eventually burn out if you continue eating so little.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you can do the bolded part without Paleo..

Curious, are you following a regional based paleo diet?

and I would be curious as to how you are defining "processed"?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    Sounds like your deficit is too much. You will eventually burn out if you continue eating so little.

We have no idea what OP's deficit actually is though.