Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
Hey :)

I am currently taking the Ultraslim Meal Replacement Shake - 1 for breakfast and 1 for lunch. I have a healthy nutritious dinner. I also have a morning snack and afternoon snack alongside 3 to 4 litres of water a day. I'm eating 1300 to 1600 calories a day. I've also started the couch to 5k programme.

Anyone else doing a meal replacement programme?

I am interested in how people are getting on with this and how you find it. I understand everyone will have their own thoughts and opinions on this which I respect.

Replies

• VioletHaz
    VioletHaz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I loved when I did a shake diet! I was fabulous for my wedding, but that was 7 years ago. I stopped it to have children. When I tried to start again later it didn't work since my system and health issues changed a bit and I couldn't tolerate it.
    I suggest having a plan to phase into when you stop taking it because these are rarely forever solutions. I did love the immediate results though so enjoy!
  • Charisma_Black
    Charisma_Black Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you lovely for your encouragement and support :) I'm hoping this will start things off for me and definately not a long term plan. Thanks so much for your honesty.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have the protein shakes my gym makes for lunch on weekends and dinner most week nights. Very tasty, keeps me full. I'd like to be able to just buy the protein powder and mix them up myself but that has eluded me so far lol... for whatever reason I make excuses as to why my own shakes just wouldn't taste as good as theirs!
  • kutedaisy
    kutedaisy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did slim fast version for a week. I can handle it for breakfast but not for lunch but I did have good results in that one week.
  • Charisma_Black
    Options
    @chelsy0587 I know what you mean! My gym also does shakes too. I think it's great that they offer this service! It's like when someone else makes you a meal - it always tastes better lol

@kutedaisy Sounds great :) I know lunchtime I'm ok but once the afternoon comes I need to make sure I have good healthy snacks with me. Also having a nice treat once a week keeps the motivation also! :p
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I've never done the meal replacement shakes but one of my aunts did it. She lost a lot of weight, got down to the size she wanted to be. Then she started incorporating "real food" back into her lifestyle, gained all the weight back that she lost and even more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Meal replacements teach you NOTHING on how to actually structure eating habits. They also have one of the highest weight regain. Makes sense because again, it shows you nothing on how to eat correctly once you stop. Unless you're planning to do it for the rest of your life, consider just learning how to portion and limit your calories through actually eating your meals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I actually like a few different meal replacement protein shakes/bars. I think I could eat or drink them for the rest of my life and if not, I also know several different meals that fit those same goals on days I have more time to whip something up.

I don't think I am as likely to gain back since I still know how to select or cook food within that calorie range. I'm just lazy and like a cold easy protein shake/bar. Lol
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Just no. Meal replacement shakes are not sustainable long term, and you will still need to learn to eat properly once you lose the weight or you will regain the weight. Not only that but shakes like slim fast are usually severely low on calories for a meal and if you eat too little your body will start burning through muscle for fuel.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Meal replacements teach you NOTHING on how to actually structure eating habits. They also have one of the highest weight regain. Makes sense because again, it shows you nothing on how to eat correctly once you stop. Unless you're planning to do it for the rest of your life, consider just learning how to portion and limit your calories through actually eating your meals.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If MFP's forum software allowed for the use of signatures, I could just make mine read "I agree with @ninerbuff" and save myself a lot of time typing. (and really make his notifications light up like a Christmas tree!)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree with this.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This. I've tried meal replacement shakes twice in the past, both times I lost a good amount for a few months, then I'd slowly go back to normal food and gain it all back, plus more. They might be a quick fix, but 99% of the time it will not give long term success, because you are not learning proper portion control, and almost nobody is going to eat them forever.

I've been doing portion control for over a year now, I never feel hungry, I've saved a ton of money and lost 85 pounds. Plus real food is delicious
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I cannot do shakes. I am constantly hungry on them and craving "real" food. Totally did not work for me.
  • Charisma_Black
    Options
    Like I said in a previous post it's not long term. No one bothers to read what you say unfortunately :( This is usually why I don't post on these forums because everyone jumps down your throat. Thanks anyway for your opinions and thoughts.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Like I said in a previous post it's not long term.

Right...that's sort of the point.

You lose weight in the short term, then put it all back on once you return to eating regularly because they don't teach you how to properly portion control.

So if that's your goal...fine. But they're not a good idea for those looking to permanently lose the weight.
  • Charisma_Black
    Options
    I agree with @bmele0 I lead a busy lifestyle with work and am stressed majority of the time which I'm on medication for. I know how to cook also and am very much into making everything from scratch as well I don't like processed foods they just make me feel bloated and horrible afterwards. So the shakes fits my lifestyle currently. I understand what is being said though. I know very well about portion control and calories etc but please respect this is my choice at this current moment in time.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    I don't like processed foods they just make me feel bloated and horrible afterwards.

So the shakes fits my lifestyle currently.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative...but how can you possibly jive these two statements?

I mean, there's really not many foods more 'processed' than a meal replacement shake.

• Charisma_Black
    Options
    Yes I understand fully what you're saying and I am fully aware. I came on here to ask if there were others on the same sort of plan for some support and encouragement for this current goal.
  • Charisma_Black
    Options
    It's my choice. What's your problem?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't you rather learn how to have sustainable eating plan now?