Is there such thing as a rude compliment?

Options

Replies

• Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't see the rudeness in that....but then again I am not one to waste time getting upset over other's actions or words
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    That was a weird thing to say, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it rude, just somewhat on the crude side.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    As someone who is inadvertently rude SEVERAL times I can assure you that some people just don't mean it. You can be upset and peeved, you don't have to take a compliment just because it was meant as one. your emotions are your own, but if it helps to know that there are just some very socially awkward nutballs out there that say dumb stuff, well it's true.

Or she might be a jerkhole in which case, what does her opinion matter anyway?
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Backhanded compliments. Mostly doled out by jealous people. Did she seem like she was trying to be rude or did it seem sincere? I try not to assume everyone is being backhanded when giving me a compliment, drives you nuts.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you are saying. On one of my before and after pictures I posted over a year ago someone said they like my before picture better. I was about 15 lbs heavier. That wasn't really a compliment but still. I was like thanks a lot! lol!
    You've done a great job, so be proud! Congrats on the weight loss!
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people here make a good point. It's possible that it was a backhanded complimented but I believe the woman could have been trying to be humorous while giving a compliment.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Yes. Definitely yes. There are rude compliments. They are usually intended to sound nice, but the reality is that they aren't.

And it is entirely possible to be uncomfortable with something someone said, because of what they said. Not because you "choose" to be uncomfortable, but because what was said, was rude, or mean, or spiteful, or hateful, or just simply inappropriate. However, your choice now is whether you let it continue to bother you. There are a lot of people who compare themselves to others, and if your progress is faster, better, more obvious than theirs, they get jealous, and their insecurities start to show. Shrug it off the best you can, and just know that it might happen again.

40 pounds is cause for celebration, so celebrate your success and tell them to go suck a duck!
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    (I've had past struggles with an eating disorder)

my dad: "You look like you're losing weight again. Are you doing that puking bull****? You better not be. You seem to only lose weight when you're doing that **it."

OK, so ... I look good? Thanks dad. lol.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    chogg2013 wrote: »
    no one is going to recognize me and that there will be gossip that my boyfriend has returned home with a new girlfriend who is half the size of his old one.

I can see how that can be considered rude, but I don't think she meant it to sound that way. Sometimes people just don't think before they say something. You just have to brush it off and let it go.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a backhanded compliment in my opinion. She's pointing out how your boyfriend now has some improved girlfriend, which means you weren't good enough before. She probably meant well, as I think most people do, but I get why it makes you feel uncomfortable. You may get more of this, unfortunately. It's hard to react in the moment, but if it happens again, you can try showing her a puzzled expression and kind of play dumb like you just don't get it. She'll feel kind of stupid having to explain the "joke". Or smile and let it go. You ARE good enough exactly how you are.

How did you get that out of the OP?

How did I get that? Because she said the woman said people will say her boyfriend is returning home with a new girlfriend. What can that possibly mean besides a new and improved girlfriend? I can see how that would make her feel uncomfortable

• blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't think she was being rude. I think way too many people reading into things that are said. That was just her way of saying you are awesome.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ten minutes ago I was making copies and our receptionist said, "stop getting so skinny. You're making me jealous & I'm p*ssed off at you".

I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it but I'm not in the greatest mood today. :neutral:
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    It comes down to context, what's sincere joking between friends who are close enough to speak that way to each other easily becomes bitchy when it's a casual acquaintance. There are some people who just don't get that something appropriate to say to a friend you talk to daily isn't necessarily appropriate to someone you know to discuss the weather once in a while. Or, they do get it, and assume you'll give them the benefit of the doubt when they're really just trying to get in a dig.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's a backhanded compliment in my opinion. She's pointing out how your boyfriend now has some improved girlfriend, which means you weren't good enough before. She probably meant well, as I think most people do, but I get why it makes you feel uncomfortable. You may get more of this, unfortunately. It's hard to react in the moment, but if it happens again, you can try showing her a puzzled expression and kind of play dumb like you just don't get it. She'll feel kind of stupid having to explain the "joke". Or smile and let it go. You ARE good enough exactly how you are.

How did I get that? Because she said the woman said people will say her boyfriend is returning home with a new girlfriend. What can that possibly mean besides a new and improved girlfriend? I can see how that would make her feel uncomfortable

It could mean that he's returning home with a new girlfriend. A different girl. Not one place is it mentioned that she is "new and improved." Project much?
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

I still don't get this as being rude. Clearly she was referring to the "new and improved" her. Not really a "new" girlfriend.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Over sensitivity sucks

You were paid a compliment in a jokey, earthy way ...I'm sure the person who complimented you was amused by his/her own wit and then didn't think twice about it

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    An insult would be something like "now you've lost weight I can see how ugly you are"

See the difference?
  • dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    An insult would be something like "now you've lost weight I can see how ugly you are"

See the difference?

Funny stuff right here!!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yep backhanded for sure. I would get them once my weight loss was really showing. I really didn't care. I either said..."thank you, I am working really hard" or ignored it.

Congrats on the weight loss though that is great!