pre-diabetes ?

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Woman with diabetes that I mentioned in my previous post successfully controls her diabetes without medication. So far, anyway. It can be done.

I am doing it. I was diagnosed T2D in January 2014 with an A1C of 7.3. I have been eating reduced carb, but not low carb, ever since and after 3 straight A1C of 5.3-5.4 my doctor took me off the medication in December. My A1C has stayed the same since.

I eat a maximum of 180 g of carbs a day. I have my macros set to eat 35% of my calories in carbs which currently means 154 g unless I get exercise calories to eat back. Then I eat more, but almost never over the 180 (the number my Dr., who is a diabetic educator, gave me).

In my case, my diabetes was from being overweight, excess mental and physical stress, ageing, and long term use of antidepressants. One risk factor I did not have was the genetic one. I am the first in my family to have it.

• dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the posters above -- Does diabetes run in your family? Genetics definitely play a role. I'm starting to show signs around the same age my dad did. I'm insulin resistant and have to stay on top of what I eat. One thing the nurses, NP, and dr constantly remind me to do is stay hydrated and daily activity (exercise). Depending on the glycemic index of certain food, it may cause you to have highs and lows. Becareful with corn, potatoes, and other starchy veggies... it sneaks up on you. Did you get a result for insulin, by chance? Was that normal, too?

Don't stress... you are already making positive changes. Your doctor will probably retest you in a few months to see where you are since you have changed your carb consumption.

• defadonna
    defadonna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had fasting test done and ac1 that confirmed mine. But only because a routine fasting flashed it up in my pregnancy. 3 months after preg it stayed doc says it was a blessing in disguise because I had it before but never new.

My family is full of diabetes including my twin so was bound to get it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    defadonna wrote: »
    I had fasting test done and ac1 that confirmed mine. But only because a routine fasting flashed it up in my pregnancy. 3 months after preg it stayed doc says it was a blessing in disguise because I had it before but never new.

My family is full of diabetes including my twin so was bound to get it.

Losing weight as you are doing will reduce your blood sugar.