Wired jaw- wasting away.

Options
I dislocated my jaw and had surgery last week. I'm a thin girl anyway, so any weight loss will definitely not be cool. Unfortunately, drinking all my meals makes it difficult to avoid. Now that the swelling is down and the meds aren't making me nauseous I'm ready to try some different stuff. I'm making smoothies, slurping soups and drinking Boost as much as I can stomach but I need new ideas. And I have 5 weeks to go. Help?

Replies

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes with ice cream, PB and bananas

Any nut butters you can add

Also drink fiber like husks

if you want high calories i would make protein shake with ice cream cocoa powder and coconut cream
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    pureed chicken and rice soup?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes with added flaxseed oil.

Flax seed oil could also be added to yoghurt.

Add avocado to smoothies too.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hummus, Dhal and other blended pea-dishes... yummi and dense in nutrients.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I would second the protein shakes with high cal ingredients like ice cream or full fat yogurt. If you make your own soups, add fatty oils like olive oil.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    abelcat1 wrote: »
    Hummus, Dhal and other blended pea-dishes... yummi and dense in nutrients.

Ooh, this is a great idea. Lots of different flavors in ethnic foods that we may not think of. I had my tonsils out and had to eat liquids for only a week; I can't imagine it for a month and a half. I did a lot of yogurt, ice cream, soup, and popsicles. I also got sick of it really fast.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You can add oatmeal and peanut butter to any smoothie. But here are some things that are different:

You can also make curried chick pea soups. And cashew soup made with raw cashews!!!! Try a raw food cookbook.

Cashew cheese - just make it wet

http://nutritionstripped.com/classic-cashew-cheese-3-ways/

Cold corn and cashew soup:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/raw-sweet-corn-and-cashew-chowder

Sweet potato soup (also raw):

http://www.organicauthority.com/raw-sweet-potato-soup-recipe-light-and-comforting/
  • victorprocure
    victorprocure Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I kind of just want to try a protein shake with icecream now. My jaw works fine
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    OP: I'm so sorry! That must be incredibly painful/tough!!

I second cashew soup as a possibility. I've made one with cauliflower, which was really nice, and you should be able to tweak the consistency. Cashews cook really nicely because they soften more than other nuts, but still give you calories.

Can you manage scrambled eggs?

I agree "ethnic" flavors might make things more interesting in general, like jerk or soy/mirin/chili.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Check out runsforcookiesrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/08/protein-shakessmoothie-recipes.html
    This woman, Katie, writes a blog that I read pretty frequently. She broke her jaw and had it wired shut a few years ago. She had a lot of different protein smoothie recipes that she used.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    boost high calorie shakes, available at the pharmacy, or on amazon
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Costco carries Premier Protein, which has 30 calories per shake. Try blending with ice cubes for an icy smoothie. This high-protein combo always constipates so add your fiber too. Maybe some V8 on hand too.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I make both black and white bean soups and puree the beans as part of the process which should be something you could easily work with, no chewing required but would create a whole new flavor. I tend to add shredded chicken or pork and diced veggies along with lots of spices and all of those things should puree down pretty well.

Things like mashed sweet potato, applesauce, spaghetti sauce and/or alfredo sauce and heck have some pudding.

Hopefully your jaw won't be wired shut for too long and you can soon enjoy the foods of the season.
  • Shelala287
    Shelala287 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've gotta go shopping! Great ideas, guys. Thanks for the help.
  • ImVeryAngryItsNotButter
    Options
    Just had all four wisdom teeth pulled with two of them cut in half as they were impacted and all of these suggestions are great but i'm going to tell you the one thing not to have.... don't puree meat and try to make tacos, it tastes really gross and it's just a bad idea. Last night I had tortillas for dinner after I almost threw up from my pureed steak tacos. Don't do it!
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Smoothies- add nut butters and coconut oil. Soups- add avocado and olive oil.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Fair warning: your teeth may suffer. If you have the money, invest in a water pik. Not being able to brush on the insides for that long will have a lasting impact. Flush your mouth out after everything you drink.
  • Shelala287
    Shelala287 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just had all four wisdom teeth pulled with two of them cut in half as they were impacted and all of these suggestions are great but i'm going to tell you the one thing not to have.... don't puree meat and try to make tacos, it tastes really gross and it's just a bad idea. Last night I had tortillas for dinner after I almost threw up from my pureed steak tacos. Don't do it!

I bet! Last night I tried tuna. It blended well but the texture was...um...yeah. That's a nope.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    A couple purée soup ideas, all chicken stock based (with sautéed onion & garlic to start):
    Cauliflower with chickpeas, turmeric & cumin seeds
    Broccoli, blends nicely with chia seeds
    Posole- dried ancho chiles (usually 2-3 to a quart stock) simmered 10 min before blending with hominy
    Best of luck!