Miles Ran to Bugs Ingested (ratio)

Options
_incogNEATo_
_incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
Maybe I'm just not a very lucky guy. I'm pulling data from the last two weeks (just to fit my argument):

April 29th - May 13th
Miles Jogged: 52.5
Bugs Ingested: 2*

*does NOT include the one (1) that my eyeball ingested

By this data, can I assume that every 26.25 miles ran will involve swallowing a bug? Can I also assume that every 17.5 miles ran will involve either a bug in the eye or a bug down my throat?

I'm interested in comparing data to other runners. Crunch numbers below, please. I'm trying to decide if it would be worthwhile to invest in a helmet with a bug deflector to run in or not.

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I don't recall swallowing a bug, but perhaps I have selectively repressed such memories. I do recall getting a small bug caught up in my eyelashes just last week. That was annoying. I will be curious to see the data points on this one.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've had those little tiny ones end up in my sinuses... The jerks. Can't remember ever swallowing one, but I'd be willing to believe I repressed the memory if that had actually happened :wink: . I run with sunglasses on precisely because I don't want bugs/pollen/falling leaves/whatever to end up in my eyes. :)
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    April 1- May 8 I may have swallowed one while running last week, but have successfully spat out 2 others. Total miles is only 31.14 though. A bigger problem is the amount of caterpillars. I cannot begin to even count the number of these guys that I have squished. I would put my guesstimate somewhere near 50. I try to avoid them, but they are just everywhere.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    Summertime in Alabama means I'll be running after the sun goes down (dusk-ish), so there is no need for sunglasses. However, a pair of clear safety glasses could prove useful. Maybe I should try to be conscientious of my mouth being open while I'm running, too.

Jen: Those poor, poor caterpillars
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Summertime in Alabama means I'll be running after the sun goes down (dusk-ish), so there is no need for sunglasses. However, a pair of clear safety glasses could prove useful. Maybe I should try to be conscientious of my mouth being open while I'm running, too.

Jen: Those poor, poor caterpillars

Even with the number I (and others apparently by the ghastly amount of caterpillar goo and remains on the trail) have squished there are still several left. There are enough to take over a small country at least, should they choose to evolve slightly and develop such goals.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem to be a problem for me when running, but I regularly ingest airborne protein when on my bike. At least a few bugs per ride.

Then there was that bee that flew into my mouth as I was coming into T2 at a race once. That was not fun. Fortunately I spit it out before it stung me.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    The only times I ever remember swallowing a bug while running was in high school cross country. That was like 10-14 years ago, lol. I wear sunglasses while running outside now and that helps with no bugs in the eyes. I also mostly run in the gym since I go at 5:30 am and don't like running outside by myself in the dark.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    April 12th 6.5 kilometers. 2 bugs eaten and one in the eye
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Along the river and on some forested trails there are these clouds of tiny black bugs. Sometimes I manage to avoid sucking them in, but not always.

I do not log these calories.

More of a problem, dozens of them stick to my sweaty face.
  • _incogNEATo_
    edited May 2015
    Options
    April 12th 6.5 kilometers. 2 bugs eaten and one in the eye

Geez... Have you ran since? :D
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Just think of all the ones you're ingesting that you don't see. Like gnats. Every once in a while, I'll run into a sunny spot and see the thousands of gnats swarming right in front of me. I am pretty sure they're swarming in the shade, too and I am just not seeing them.

The ones going up your nose are pretty dang gross, too.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I lol'd at this post. I just started running this winter so had my first experience of ingesting a bug last night on my 6-miler.

Tried to avoid squishing caterpillars as well; though that definitely ruined any semblance of a stride that I had going. At times felt like I was playing hopscotch.

I must be the only guy wearing full length compression tights in the heat; but I am regularly assaulted by grasshoppers and I keep getting the image of them hopping up my shorts. F That. I'd rather look a little weird with the tights.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I did a study just last week of number of miles to biked to number of bugs caught in my bra. It was a 20mile:34bug ratio.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's about 1 eye-bug per 10 miles. Gnat swarms during summer morning runs (pre-coffee :open_mouth:) usually leave me pulling off to the side and digging a bug out of my eye at least once a week. Though I usually manage to spit out the ones that foolishly get into my mouth.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    I did a study just last week of number of miles to biked to number of bugs caught in my bra. It was a 20mile:34bug ratio.

Were you just riding in a bra?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Along the river and on some forested trails there are these clouds of tiny black bugs. Sometimes I manage to avoid sucking them in, but not always.

I do not log these calories.

More of a problem, dozens of them stick to my sweaty face.

This is the worrrrrrst. I've had my fair share of post-run showers when I'm picking bugs off my skin. Ick!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JTick wrote: »

Were you just riding in a bra?
    I think it's like in fishing, the larger the net...

Couldn't resist.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Bonus protein?
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I tend to get about 1 bug for every 3-4 miles when I'm cycling. Not so sure about the gnats and smaller ones that cloud up, probably tons of those! There is an entry in the database for gnats, by the way :smiley:
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    HAHA, love this. During my last run (1 eaten, 1 inhaled :/) I distinctly wondered how many calories it is and whether I’m scoring some extra protein. No joke.