Help! How important is it to get macros right?

Options
SarahSloth342634
SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi there, I'm on a calorie controlled diet and on MFP my macros are set to 50 30 20 (carbs fat and protein) my percentages are not spot on but near enough at the end of the day. Say if I go over the 50% carb allowance for that day, does this mean I am failing my diet...even though I have eaten the correct amount of calories allowed?

Replies

• Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know this as well, because I love to have a raw smoothie for breakfast with just water added to it and some greens. By the time I've added up all of my fruit and veggies into my tracker I've hit my sugar limit for the day >:(
  • ImVeryAngryItsNotButter
    Options
    Hitting the macros exactly is too much stress. I hit my minimums for protein and fats then I fill the rest with whatever I want. My protein will be 175 grams some days and as high as 275 on others. Allows for much more freedom when meal planning.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hitting the calorie target is more important. Get enough protein to avoid unintended side-effects, and don't worry about the rest. MFP sets it's sugar limits notoriously low (it counts all sugar, not just the added refined stuff).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calories are king for weight loss. Keep those in check and you should be fine. Macros help with other things (like health, hunger, energy, etc) but the numbers that MFP gives you are only one possible setup. There are a ton of different ways that you could set your macros based on personal preference. Try to think of them more as guidelines than actual rules.
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is very reassuring :)
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I think MFP lowballs protein goals. Personally I have mine set to 35/30/35 (Carbs/Fat/Protein). I'm not saying you should set yours this way, but a little Google research on "nutrition macros" will get you lots of articles on the topic.

IF you keep your current goals...and you find yourself hungry, then you could consider raising your protein and lowering carbs. In my opinion (and I'm not an expert) your protein is low. If you're working out at all, as in trying to build muscle (or for those who say you can't lose on a deficit, maintain muscle) then I think for sure your protein is too low.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    If your focus is weight loss, just focus on the calorie goal for now.

You may find that certain foods make you feel more full than others, and can adjust your macro goals down the line (mine are now 35/30/35 as I prefer more protein).

Don't worry about the sugar, either.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I know I wasn't the OP, but these responses have been very reassuring for me as well. Now I know it's okay to have that breakfast smoothie with berries and greens.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm on a calorie controlled diet and on MFP my macros are set to 50 30 20 (carbs fat and protein) my percentages are not spot on but near enough at the end of the day. Say if I go over the 50% carb allowance for that day, does this mean I am failing my diet...even though I have eaten the correct amount of calories allowed?

No, of course not. Different people worry about different nutrition based on personal goals, but calories are what matters for weight loss. I don't even remember what my macros are set to because I don't even have them all visible.
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    And I think it sets carbs too low. So we can probably safely say "correct" macros are controversial. If that concerns you, research it yourself. If it doesn't, just focus on calories.
    I assume they don't differentiate types of sugar because nutrition labels don't, but I find that really frustrating.
  • stefng33
    stefng33 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For all you gems out there eating only 35% carbs please tell me how you do it!!! Yikes. I can barely get mine down to 45% right now. I could use some feedback on replacement strategies.
    My macros drive me crazy...this is a bit comforting to know I can relax a bit as long as I'm in check with cals but it's also crucial to make sure I'm rigidly adding properly. Can't wait to finally get it right!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    35% carb strategy - and I'm not saying I never break this, bur generally. no sugar, pasta, bread (except I love Ezekiel sprout less "bread"). I get most carbs from quinoa, oatmeal, potatoes, rice, fruit, and vegetables. Lately I've been struggling to find new carbs to eat. Higher protein helps makes me feel fuller, so that might help with carb craving.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Natural sugar is okay, added sugar isn't. That is my advice for that one.
    If you go over sugar make sure it is from things that have natural sugars born into them. I never get below my sugar goal, but I still lose weight and feel great because I stay away from added sugar.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    To lose 'weight', counting calories is king. If you're already at a low/lower body fat level, or want to lose vanity pounds, that's really where the beauty of macro manipulation comes in. But if your goal is just to simply lose weight, then keep to the counting calories technique. I maintain a low body fat level and for me, personally, I have a baseline calories I loosely adhere to while focusing primarily on keeping my macros in check. And I second, third, etc. all the PP advice about avoiding the sugar.