Meal Replacement Shakes

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    LOL. I love how everyone has completely ignored my post.

You are back here losing weight again...so it didn't work to begin with. Not much else to discuss really.

LOL. It worked while I lead a healthy maintenance lifestyle. As soon as I was on a plane every week and drinking scotch in first class along with hotel food, I gained some back. No where near all, and I learned what was wrong and what was right. The point being, who are you to judge what some people need to motivate them? Had I *not* learned through the process that I could lose weight (ie, seeing it in a mirror), I highly doubt I would have had any motivation to try.

Some people need a good kick in the pants this way.

Right...and like pretty much EVERY PERSON who responded to this thread said, they work in the short term, but also have one of the highest propensities to regain weight.

You're basically living proof of what pretty much EVERY PERSON in this thread said.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

You are back here losing weight again...so it didn't work to begin with. Not much else to discuss really.

LOL. It worked while I lead a healthy maintenance lifestyle. As soon as I was on a plane every week and drinking scotch in first class along with hotel food, I gained some back. No where near all, and I learned what was wrong and what was right. The point being, who are you to judge what some people need to motivate them? Had I *not* learned through the process that I could lose weight (ie, seeing it in a mirror), I highly doubt I would have had any motivation to try.

Some people need a good kick in the pants this way.

Right...and like pretty much EVERY PERSON who responded to this thread said, they work in the short term, but also have one of the highest propensities to regain weight.

You're basically living proof of what pretty much EVERY PERSON in this thread said.

r5aoxxs29eefgjvupxkn.gif

• CarynCharB
    CarynCharB Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have been using them for 5+ years. I eat 3 a day and a regular dinner. Now anytime I try to eat normally I gain. I wish I wouldn't have started this..or at least done it short term.
  • jazzsax69
    jazzsax69 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Did you read what I said?

I kept the weight off while I lead a healthy lifestyle. I got off shakes completely and was rollerblading 10 miles a day. It stayed off for over almost 3 years.

it started back on when I made some bad choices due to travel and other factors ---- I wasnt ON the shakes for the three years it stayed off. Had you actually read what I said you wouldn't be jumping to conclusions.

If you want to argue, we could argue that anyone who goes out and eats fast food is living proof that you will just gain back the weight you lost after eating healthy. ANYONE can gain weight back regardless whether they used shakes to lose their weight, a VLCD of some sort, calorie deficits, etc. You could be the expert of portion control and go blow it for whatever reason.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

So everyone who lost weight by counting calories and gained it back failed because counting calories doesn't work?

It sounds like he kept it off quite well until he stopped paying attention to calories (in his own words)

I'm not trying to assert anything about either method, just saying that all methods have failure rates if not maintained, and one person's regain (well after the fact) certainly doesn't disprove their method. No matter the method, if your lifestyle changes and you start eating at a caloric surplus, you will gain the weight back.
  • jazzsax69
    Options
    CarynCharB wrote: »
    I have been using them for 5+ years. I eat 3 a day and a regular dinner. Now anytime I try to eat normally I gain. I wish I wouldn't have started this..or at least done it short term.

Even i will agree --- that's far too long. Your body doesn't know how to eat properly at this point.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I kept the weight off while I lead a healthy lifestyle. I got off shakes completely and was rollerblading 10 miles a day. It stayed off for over almost 3 years.

it started back on when I made some bad choices due to travel and other factors ---- I wasnt ON the shakes for the three years it stayed off. Had you actually read what I said you wouldn't be jumping to conclusions.

If you want to argue, we could argue that anyone who goes out and eats fast food is living proof that you will just gain back the weight you lost after eating healthy. ANYONE can gain weight back regardless whether they used shakes to lose their weight, a VLCD of some sort, calorie deficits, etc. You could be the expert of portion control and go blow it for whatever reason.

You lost and didn't have the tools or knowledge to keep the weight off when times changed. That is the point. Your definition of success may be different than mine though.
  • CarynCharB
    CarynCharB Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Even i will agree --- that's far too long. Your body doesn't know how to eat properly at this point.

I know and I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about seeing a nutritionist.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Have you tried using MFP/calorie counting?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

I think you should. Maybe a doctor as well. I can't even imagine never being able to eat without fear of gaining weight :(

Best of luck
  • jazzsax69
    Options

You lost and didn't have the tools or knowledge to keep the weight off when times changed. That is the point.

Then say that. Don't blame the shakes.

Reality - I knew how to keep it off. I made crappy choices. But knowing how long I kept it off for (and then what I ate when I gained some back) had zero to do with the shakes, and everything to do with emotional and environmental issues. I had the tools previously, just didn't use them.

Shakes worked to kick start things. In my case I've needed more discipline to keep going --- like many do. I had no problems reintroducing foods and weaning off the shakes.

For ever person who has done shake diets, I can name people who have done the old standard --- eating healthy --- who then made the same choices and ballooned back to where they were before.

Everyone needs a different motivator. Give the woman a bit of a break, and advice to help her while she tries it. Maybe give her some good weaning suggestions and meal replacement ideas and she might not feel like she is being attacked.
  • jazzsax69
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Have you tried using MFP/calorie counting?

Good suggestion.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I just can't believe the nastiness more than anything to be honest. Very disheartening.
    Just ignore them. Niner has a valid point about the long term effectiveness and rationale behind MRP, which kind of delays you learning about real calorie control. If its working for you, then stick with it as its your diet and you can learn from your own mistakes if you end up putting it back on once the shakes stop. Theres always the chance you wont. Its not a given that it will happen but you should learn about nutrition and calorie control.

I dont see the others as being nasty, its a public forum, but if you dont like it then dont read their posts, easy to ignore.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is meal replacement shakes are a temporary fix. I don't know if you've ever known anyone with a drug addiction, but many drug addicts quit using, but pick up another habit instead because they've never learned to deal with whatever was drawing them to the addiction to begin with. Food can be an addiction for many people, and not learning how to live your life and make the correct choices in EVERY situation is part of the reason people "relapse", go back to their old eating habits and regain the weight. You have to learn the proper tools as you go so you can learn to deal with stress, travel, emotions, etc and still make correct choices. I see meal replacements as an easy way to not have to deal with life's inconveniences when it comes to food. You always have the shake with you so you don't have to figure out what you can eat at a fast food/sit down restaurant, a hotel, etc., but what happens when you don't have the shake with you? What happens when you have a work event or whatever and you can't sit there at a restaurant with a shake?

If you have underlying psychological issues causing the weight gain, that is a different story altogether and that needs to be dealt with anyway before you will ever be successful at this long term. You can't medicate yourself with food, you have to learn how to deal with problems in other ways and a meal replacement shake isn't going to do that for you no matter how much you believe it will "give you a kick in the *kitten*".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options

@ninerbuff you have been doing this 17 years. You know as well as everyone else that people fail for various reasons. I'm sure you've seen a variety of people succeed and a variety of people fail. What about the "secret eaters", the "emotional eaters", etc?

I believe some people need a kick in the *kitten* --- and thats often what meal replacements do. it doesn't *replace* the fact the person needs to learn portion control and proper nutrition, but if it helps kickstart someone who has had problems doing that their whole life, I say go for it.
    The discussion at hand isn't about how other eaters fail/succeed though. My response was about meal replacements in general.
    What's more likely, that people who use meal replacement shakes are doing it for a kick in butt, or because they are sold on a program that advertises it's "success" rate? I'll go with the latter. Since it's a public forum, I believe that putting out the most accurate information is much more beneficial to the majority, than to acknowledge the 10% of users of meal replacements that succeed.
    If people need a "kickstart", then they really just have to be serious and committed to themselves and make a plan of action (that involves the eating lifestyle they can continue for life) and adhere to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I agree with @bmele0 I lead a busy lifestyle with work and am stressed majority of the time which I'm on medication for. I know how to cook also and am very much into making everything from scratch as well I don't like processed foods they just make me feel bloated and horrible afterwards. So the shakes fits my lifestyle currently. I understand what is being said though. I know very well about portion control and calories etc but please respect this is my choice at this current moment in time.

If quick is what you want, what about making your own and using proteins like yogurt?
    I did the bodies by vi shakes and lost about 10 lbs in just over a month but it was mostly water weight. It slowed waaay down when I started having a deficit with real food. What's concerning about shakes besides not learning portions etc, is that generally the ingredients aren't very good for you. Check the label, the shakes I took had sucrelose as the sweetener and gave me terrible headaches. 21 out of their 23 ingredients were synthetic.
    Maybe do your own shakes with some frozen fruit, yogurt, almond milk, etc. much. Much healthier
  • Charisma_Black
    Charisma_Black Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'll look into this @DaniCanadian Thanks! :)
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend for this to happen but I have ended up using a protein meal replacement powder in my iced coffee for breakfast. I have to say I feel awesome! I hate eating at my desk and it keeps me full from breakfast to lunch. Also before I started using the meal replacement by lunch time I would be starving but now I am just barely hungry. So for me it works great. I don't feel it's unhealthy at all considering all the very healthy stuff in it. I am sure eventually I'll get bored with what I am doing and switch it up again. Just find what works for you.
  • jazzsax69
    Options
    I agree with @bmele0 I lead a busy lifestyle with work and am stressed majority of the time which I'm on medication for. I know how to cook also and am very much into making everything from scratch as well I don't like processed foods they just make me feel bloated and horrible afterwards. So the shakes fits my lifestyle currently. I understand what is being said though. I know very well about portion control and calories etc but please respect this is my choice at this current moment in time.

If quick is what you want, what about making your own and using proteins like yogurt?
    I did the bodies by vi shakes and lost about 10 lbs in just over a month but it was mostly water weight. It slowed waaay down when I started having a deficit with real food. What's concerning about shakes besides not learning portions etc, is that generally the ingredients aren't very good for you. Check the label, the shakes I took had sucrelose as the sweetener and gave me terrible headaches. 21 out of their 23 ingredients were synthetic.
    Maybe do your own shakes with some frozen fruit, yogurt, almond milk, etc. much. Much healthier

Great suggestions.

• acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Like I said in a previous post it's not long term. No one bothers to read what you say unfortunately :( This is usually why I don't post on these forums because everyone jumps down your throat. Thanks anyway for your opinions and thoughts.

Exactly, it's a shame. I will ocassionally use a MRS on the weekends for lunch when I'm running my kids here and there and I want to avoid fast food. I use either Shakeology, or Vegan Smart. Just make sure whatever you use isn't loaded with unknown ingredients. Do what works best for you, like I was so kindly reminded the other day, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in a deficit, LOL!