Abs are made in the kitchen! MEAL PREP!

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    But seriously, OP, what's up with the turtle?

Turtle soup. Or Turtle Cacciatore? Perhaps we should post some turtle recipes.
  • myee924
    myee924 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    acollis1 wrote: »
    I had to come back and check this thread. Unfortunaltly I knew you were going to get blasted! Thanks for the effort, I meal prep on Sundays, cook a bunch of chicken and chop veggies/ fruits. Makes the week go smoother. If anyone cares I plan dinners for the week and if there's a bunch of prepping to do for a meal I'll do it then too, that way I get dinner on the table faster after work and school :)

Hahah I should've known. First and last time I post here. I'll stick to the fitness community that's familiar with meal prepping >_<
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    myee924 wrote: »
    I had to come back and check this thread. Unfortunaltly I knew you were going to get blasted! Thanks for the effort, I meal prep on Sundays, cook a bunch of chicken and chop veggies/ fruits. Makes the week go smoother. If anyone cares I plan dinners for the week and if there's a bunch of prepping to do for a meal I'll do it then too, that way I get dinner on the table faster after work and school :)

Hahah I should've known. First and last time I post here. I'll stick to the fitness community that's familiar with meal prepping >_<
    Ugh did you not read?

Lots of us here meal prep, I do every Sunday.

Variety is what was talked about.

And sauces, and flavours, and not soggy sammies....
  • jkwolly
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think that I could easily eat the same thing each day for a week. Then the next week I'd change it some. Every time I feed my dogs I wish there was some sort of human kibble that I could just eat a cup of twice a day so that I could just scoop it out and go sometimes.
    HA this killed me!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Now, that chicken cacciatore looks yum! I started to prepare in advance for the week approach and found it is very helpful to stop the nibbles and the random fast food drives because fridge is empty. Thumbs up for the effort, it is great to plan out the week. I recommend it! On the other hand, yeah, variety is the "spice" of life. That particular outlay looks like it could use a tad more spice (and less bread). At least, with me, if I change it up it keeps me motivated and not get discouraged --and I still get to enjoy what I eat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Meal prep does not equal "the same foods over and over".

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How many times has the OP been edited at this point. It went from half-gibberish to YOU MUST MEAL PLAN IT'S KEY to planning is okay. It's hard to keep up with what's actually being said.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How many times has the OP been edited at this point. It went from half-gibberish to YOU MUST MEAL PLAN IT'S KEY to planning is okay. It's hard to keep up with what's actually being said.

Well...we know one thing for sure. OP likes turtles.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I think that I could easily eat the same thing each day for a week. Then the next week I'd change it some.

Same here, i can eat the same thing for a week but then must change it up the next week. I try to meal prep one week at a time.
  • myee924
    myee924 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Ugh did you not read?

You can add the sauce/seasoning desired at the time you eat the meal when it's prepped this way too. As I said-- this is what this particular client prefers-- it's not for everyone! This just makes it easier for him to track the food for the week when his staple meals are the same. Also, the sandwiches don't get soggy if you later them properly.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I can do what rabbit has posted before I.e make a large stew that you can store and heat up. That takes more effort and is more suitable to being frozen or stored for a short time.

I do get he is so dedicated and is to be applauded for how well organised he is. Useful if you are really busy or never have the time to cook. i.e if he was a truck driver or he lived in the gym.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I believe sandwiches can be frozen but I'd have to say bleurgh to that

My meal prep involves big stews like chicken cacciatore

d1qor84vmq53.jpg

Served with rice

40g protein, 8g fat for around 415 calories

Wouldn't swap you, even if you threw in the turtle

Looks great - do you have the recipe?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I believe sandwiches can be frozen but I'd have to say bleurgh to that

My meal prep involves big stews like chicken cacciatore

d1qor84vmq53.jpg

Served with rice

40g protein, 8g fat for around 415 calories

Wouldn't swap you, even if you threw in the turtle

Looks great - do you have the recipe?

That looks really good. recipe please.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Ugh did you not read?

You can add the sauce/seasoning desired at the time you eat the meal when it's prepped this way too. As I said-- this is what this particular client prefers-- it's not for everyone! This just makes it easier for him to track the food for the week when his staple meals are the same. Also, the sandwiches don't get soggy if you later them properly.
    So because the rest of us like variety and flavours, we aren't familiar with meal prepping?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/06/chicken-cacciatore-43-pts.html

I think I added thyme too and doubled the pepper / mushrooms

Also like the crock pot version which is without mushrooms
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/06/chicken-cacciatore-43-pts.html

I think I added thyme too and doubled the pepper / mushrooms

Also like the crock pot version which is without mushrooms

Sweet. Thanks!
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I pre-make my lunch the night before. The entire week would be a stretch. And I'd probably go "New York" (while in Texas)/postal :) if I have to eat the same thing the entire week. The key for me is to have these items available:

Fresh veggies and fruits, staples of nuts and seeds, fresh eggs, chicken breast, fresh or apple gate turkey breast, Dave's or Ezekiel bread, Bob's Red Mill oatmeal, La tortilla wrap, lavash, PB2, crunchy regular PB, veggie and chicken broth, whey protein powder, oat milk, almond milk, etc. It helps to have veggie and herb garden. If you have no space you can grow them in containers. It is fun, therapeutic and practical :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I'm kind of bummed I missed out on the original OP and the gibberish.

Now it is just a picture of bland food, nice abs, and a turtle. The gibberish might have spiced it up a little bit.

I'm with others, I see the value in meal planning/meal preparation - but I prefer to do it in a way that allows for more variety on a day to day basis. But this person (client?) is likely single and just feeding themself, whereas I am trying to figure out meals to keep a family of four happy. My meal prepping is to save my sanity on busy nights trying to get dinner on the table after work, after kid practice, etc.

• icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I attempted the "meal prep" thing once. I watched a bunch of Youtube videos on it. I went out and bought a bunch of containers and thought it was the smartest thing ever. Then I made a week's worth ( I think abt 5 days worth, actually) of 2 different lunches/dinners to eat over those 5 days. I think by the 4th day the food tasted like 4 day old leftovers. Ick. I need food to be more flavorful and fresh. The remainder of my chicken, sweet potatoes & veggies went into the trash. I kept the containers though. Meal prep works better for me if I only do a couple meals at a time, that way I am not cooking EVERY night but I am also not eating food that's been sitting in the fridge for a week. Now I do breakfast refrigerator oatmeal, fruit/yogurt/nut parfaits for snacks, cut up fresh veggies into ziploc bags, individual portions of dips/nut butters, etc into small containers, and 2 lunches & 2 dinners into containers as well. And I have Quest protein bars for grab-n-go snacks or meal replacements just in case I get into a pinch. Single serving fruit or ice cream bars are evening treats. I do like meal prepping for a couple days worth of food at a time because if I don't have anything prepared I fall prey to restaurant/take-out food. haha