Miles Ran to Bugs Ingested (ratio)

Options

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've swallowed a bug while running--I have a way worse track record for cycling though.

Right now I'm being plagued by baby inchworms (half-inchworms?) hitching a ride--I usually have to pull 3 or 4 off after every run. And I'm running on the road--not back in the woods!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I learned to run in the winter. No bugs. Is this what I have to get used to?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    damn how do you log that
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    I stupidly run by the river every morning and every morning I am cursing myself because BUGS. I haven't swallowed any (yet) but getting them in your nose and eyeballs is enough for me, we also have the geese and ducks to contend with (who love to sit right in the middle of the trail....)
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Last night was my first attempt to jog and not stop. I got two miles in. One bug flew in and back out of my mouth. I did my best to keep my mouth shut after that. Found that impossible. The whole time I was trying to figure out a mouth/nose covering to use, then sell. Make millions.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    MissLaaber wrote: »
    I stupidly run by the river every morning and every morning I am cursing myself because BUGS. I haven't swallowed any (yet) but getting them in your nose and eyeballs is enough for me, we also have the geese and ducks to contend with (who love to sit right in the middle of the trail....)

The geese by the river where I run are very territorial. They do not hesitate to snap. *kitten*...
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    Last night involved the bug flying into my mouth. I tried to cough it up, but it was disturbing my run so I just swallowed it. I don't remember tasting it, but the thought was kind of disturbing. I kept waiting on my throat to go numb.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    MissLaaber wrote: »

The geese by the river where I run are very territorial. They do not hesitate to snap. *kitten*...

Thankfully these Geese aren't at that point, the nests are closer to the river's edge but they sure do hiss at you. Buggers.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Summertime in Alabama means I'll be running after the sun goes down (dusk-ish), so there is no need for sunglasses. However, a pair of clear safety glasses could prove useful. Maybe I should try to be conscientious of my mouth being open while I'm running, too.

Tifosi has interchangeable lenses, one of which is clear. Absolutely invest in a pair - you can find them on sale for pretty inexpensively. It's inevitable...if I forget to wear them, bug in the eye! I think I've only swallowed one or two in all my running though - somewhere around 1500 miles. Surprising given that I breath through my mouth.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    Just looked those up. Thank you!!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    I did a study just last week of number of miles to biked to number of bugs caught in my bra. It was a 20mile:34bug ratio.

Were you just riding in a bra?
    I think it's like in fishing, the larger the net...

Couldn't resist.

B)

Nope, I had a tank top on, but leaning over the handlebars just left too much open to the outside world. Either I need a higher tank top or smaller boobs.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    I did a study just last week of number of miles to biked to number of bugs caught in my bra. It was a 20mile:34bug ratio.

Were you just riding in a bra?
    I think it's like in fishing, the larger the net...

Couldn't resist.

B)

Nope, I had a tank top on, but leaning over the handlebars just left too much open to the outside world. Either I need a higher tank top or smaller boobs.

Don't we all, girlfriend.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    These stats will depend largely on where you run and when.

On long runs, I run around a lake, often around sunrise. If it's windy or cool, the bugs mostly stay away. If it's not, there are the occasional swarms of gnats. Not only can I be guaranteed to have sucked down at least two by the end of the run, I am also guaranteed to have a mini-fleet of them stuck to the sweat above my neckline.
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I am not a seasoned runner by any means and am constantly wondering if I am the only one who inhales gnats. ALL THE TIME. I can't avoid those hovering clouds where I run. One less thing to be insecure about on my runs as now I know I'm NOT the only one! :smiley:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Not sure whether I have swallowed any bugs, but I definitely had an eye kill!! ;)
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    During about 4 months of marathon training I ended up with only 1 bug in my eye (he stayed there for nearly 2 hours...).
    I think fewer than 5 ended up in my mouth during that time.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

More of a problem, dozens of them stick to my sweaty face.

This is the worrrrrrst. I've had my fair share of post-run showers when I'm picking bugs off my skin. Ick!

Agreed... I do tend to run less by the river during part of the year.

Next time I do I will put up a profile pic showing the fine accumulation of tiny bugs all over me. The things we do for fun and fitness!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    do bugs ingested impact your daily calories? You should log them :)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    It would appear someone added "gnat" to the MFP food database, although I question the calorie count submitted :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Is there a formula for bugs stuck in eyeballs? Those tiny no-see-ums congregate in packs and I don't realize they're there until I am in the middle of the cloud.

Oh I also need a formula for bugs stuck in chapstick. See above.

Thanks