Logging everything and still gaining ! GRRRR...

Options
I lost one pound the first week... now that I started logging breastfeeding I'm gaining ;(( I stay at around 1200 calories and nurse my daughter many times a day. My Dr suggested 1800-2000 calories and that I would still lose however that is not the case. Idk what to do!! I log everything! !! I'm so frustrated HELP

Replies

• doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Could you open your food diary? It might help troubleshooting.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary; are you measuring/weighing everything accurately?
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Simply logging alone doesn't equate to losing weight. How accurately are you logging? Are you eyeballing portions and using measuring cups, but not a food scale? Are you eating back your calories from breastfeeding? If you're truly at 1,200 calories, you'll lose. Heck, I'd argue that you can eat more than 1,200 calories and still lose, provided that you're accurate. Good luck!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Either you are not accurately logging your food (underestimating what you're eating, or your exercise (overestimating your calorie burns).
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    No one can really help troubleshoot if your diary is closed.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    Did you start a new exercise program? Doing so can result in a temporary weight gain because of water retention needed to help your muscles recover. Also, don't use just the scale to measure your progress. Take measurements of your body and pictures as it is quite possible to lose inches and not have the pounds come off for even fairly long periods of time, but if the inches are coming off you are losing fat.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

It is doubtful that anyone can troubleshoot if it is open, either. Looking at what someone has logged isn't going to tell you if they logged it correctly, or if they left something out.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

It is doubtful that anyone can troubleshoot if it is open, either. Looking at what someone has logged isn't going to tell you if they logged it correctly, or if they left something out.

So true. Only the person doing the logging knows how accurate they are being with it. It's very easy to forget to log, to not realize that even that 70 calorie Oreo snitched from the pantry before dinner counts, or to purposefully not log things because one is ashamed to put it into writing.

OP, if you aren't losing weight then you aren't eating fewer calories than you are burning. It is almost always as simple as that. If you aren't using a kitchen scale to weigh your food, start. It can be really eye opening.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

if you see someone using generic entries and cups then yes it can help, as you know they are not logging accurately.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    When you increase your calories the scale will temporarily go up. That's your glycogen stores replenishing. It will even out and go away. Since you are breastfeeding, you need to eat enough to maintain your milk supply. Follow your doctor's advice. That's why he/she is a doctor. Even LLL recommends a MINIMUM of 1800 calories for breastfeeding mothers.

I'm going to go with glycogen replenishment and not giving it enough time for this one. But of course, having more information would be more helpful, to be honest. How long have you been eating more calories? What are your stats? Can you open your diary? Are you weighing your food? All of these things would be helpful to know.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    How many weeks are you talking about.

I get the impression you have been logging for 2-3 weeks which isn't really long enough to claim you aren't losing or gaining.

How much are you gaining? 1 pound? 10 pounds? Could be water weight?
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

True, but occasionally there is an obvious error that more experienced users can recognize, like a food item with erroneous calories or exercise calories that are way off. I recall one poor soul who was routinely logging 1000 calories for an hour of walking (from an HRM or fitness watch or something) and eating most of them back.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if you see someone using generic entries and cups then yes it can help, as you know they are not logging accurately.

^^ that

i see it all the time (we all do), and yes, i think to some extent we all take our own shortcuts, but those of us (yourself included TimothyFish) who are successful in losing weight, generally know what we are doing and if we have issues in our weight, where we need to focus and pay attention to.
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    That happened to me before. Try measuring your food. Also, maybe have your thyroid checked. Some women develop issues during and after pregnancy with their thyroid.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by logging your breastfeeding?
  • PoppyG1971
    PoppyG1971 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're doing a great job on breastfeeding - hope you're enjoying it. 600 cals is what I was told you burn while feeding which I guess is where the 1800 minimum comes from (1200+600) but there's a lot of sitting around snacking too (or there is here!). Why not give it a few weeks of careful logging of what you eat and drink, and try to increase your activity level and see what happens. I only joined because I wanted to look at my macros and track my activity and I've been astonished at how many empty calories I was eating without really noticing, and how little I did on some days despite 'running around' after little ones. Good luck!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I was curious about that too. Figured it was misworded or secret women's business.

Sounds like she logs food in and breast feeding out but that would be silly.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Some women don't lose weight while breastfeeding. Your body will hold on to the weight to be able to feed your child. I did not lose any weight at all the whole 16 months I breastfed. Plus I was starving the entire time, I don't even know how you're doing it only eating 1200 calories, lol. I suggest not worrying about it too much, up your cal's to 1800, make sure you're drinking plenty of water, and continue nursing your babe! Your milk supply is more important at this point.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your foods with a food scale? If not, get one asap.weighing food and Logging accurately takes work, but it's the only way to get the best estimates of what your really consuming.

Are you counting your breastfeeding as exercise? I may have read your post incorrectly so please clarify .
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I was curious about that too. Figured it was misworded or secret women's business.

Sounds like she logs food in and breast feeding out but that would be silly.

I have actually seen it written that breastfeeding adds about 600 calories per day to a woman's calorie burn. It takes energy to produce milk.

I agree that at this point, having an adequate milk supply is much more important than losing a few pounds. Focus on your baby's health for awhile. Besides, stress can cause problems with weight loss and so can a lack of sleep. As a new mother, I'm sure both of those things are an issue for you. Take away one stressor by letting go of the weight loss attempts for now.