The Clean Eating Myth

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    You don't say whether their strength training level is exactly the same. While they are both eating the same calories at a deficit and working out, could the more nutritional ("clean") diet result in a more intense level of strength training and, therefore, result in a greater weight loss over time?

I know I have a much better workout following a healthy breakfast, rather than eating donuts (for example) which may have the same number of calories.

Definitely would be an interesting clinical study.

my diary is open and I eat non clean foods every day and I have not had any issues with strength training…

Typically, when one bulks and is eating more calorie dense food the intensity of the work increases because one is eating more.

I have never seen a study on strength training gains/energy and type of food consumed. I think that macros would be more impotent than calorie type.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think they'd lose weight at the same rate, but the "clean eater" may be more comfortable doing so because of the volume of food they're eating.

This is true. I can certainly eat enough turkey burgers to feel stuffed and happy without going over my calorie budget. I can't do that with beef cheeseburgers.

(Are turkey burgers clean food?)
  • ndj1979
    Options

even if that diet of processed foods and snacks hits micros and macros?

ummmm.......idk. Is this some kind of trickery? lol. I don't know much about micros and macros.

Not really. I am just pointing out that you can get your nutrient requirements, eat processed foods, and that person would still be healthy ….
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I'm going with C, they will lose approximately the same amount.

Surprised? :p

I'm with Nony on this one. I'm always amused at the amount of posters who just can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that a calorie is merely a unit of measurement. Macros are where the "health" argument should come in to it, but those are a different, albeit complimentary, part of the equation.

CI - doesn't matter one iota where they came from. 100 calories of chocolate = 100 calories of lettuce. However the macro makeup of those calories may change the CO part of the equation (i.e. choosing more nutrient dense foods may correspond to having more energy, therefore putting in more effort at the gym).

In any event, having a CICO deficit is what results in weight-loss, regardless of how either side of the equation is made up.

I'm an accountant, so I love how CICO boils down to a mathematical equation, losing weight has been so much easier since I came to MFP and saw the posts about it. Holy lightbulb moment, Batman.

Calories can be viewed in the same way as money being spent in a business. If you spend $10, your bank account will decrease, regardless of what it is that you spent that money on. However, $10 of production materials will benefit the profitability of the business more than the owner taking $10 out to buy himself lunch. Bank account - Calories. Profits - Macros.

ETA: Grammar. Oy.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I think food volume is overrated. Yes, having some focus on volume is helpful, but I have even more bang for my buck by making sure I have enough fat and protein.

And if we are talking comfort, having variety and flexibility in your diet rather than arbitrary rules is great for that.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    I'm so exhausted with the pseudo-morality attached to food. Ffs. It's food.

I like to joke with myself that I'm eating dirty, on a hclf inorganic diet full of gmo's, processed food, and toxins.
    Thing is, I eat a healthy, varied diet. I'm losing weight. I just refuse to buy into fads and scams and I also refuse to believe that there is "good" and "bad" food, or that one should feel guilt about eating certain foods, or superior and smug about eating others.

I want my kids to have a healthy attitude to food and the best way to do that is to model that myself.

And OF COURSE 1500 calories is 1500 calories. If you're hitting your macros and micros, the rest is irrelevant trendy foodwank.

/rant

Yeah the terminology "clean" is ridiculous. Is a twinkie or even a fresh lentil stew with non-organic produce "unclean?"

I believe that anything that has more than five ingredients is dirty or processed…at least that was a definition I was given once...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    I think they'd lose weight at the same rate, but the "clean eater" may be more comfortable doing so because of the volume of food they're eating.

This is true. I can certainly eat enough turkey burgers to feel stuffed and happy without going over my calorie budget. I can't do that with beef cheeseburgers.

turkey burgers are probably considered clean, but then again, it would depend on who you ask
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I think food volume is overrated. Yes, having some focus on volume is helpful, but I have even more bang for my buck by making sure I have enough fat and protein.

And if we are talking comfort, having variety and flexibility in your diet rather than arbitrary rules is great for that.

i eat four times a day and I have no issues with satiety ….
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I think that in terms of fat loss, they would lose the same amount of weight, but I believe the non clean eating person would retain more water, sodium, etc, and therefore the scale may show different. At least for the first few weeks maybe.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I like to joke with myself that I'm eating dirty, on a hclf inorganic diet full of gmo's, processed food, and toxins.
    Thing is, I eat a healthy, varied diet. I'm losing weight. I just refuse to buy into fads and scams and I also refuse to believe that there is "good" and "bad" food, or that one should feel guilt about eating certain foods, or superior and smug about eating others.

I want my kids to have a healthy attitude to food and the best way to do that is to model that myself.

And OF COURSE 1500 calories is 1500 calories. If you're hitting your macros and micros, the rest is irrelevant trendy foodwank.

/rant

Yeah the terminology "clean" is ridiculous. Is a twinkie or even a fresh lentil stew with non-organic produce "unclean?"

I believe that anything that has more than five ingredients is dirty or processed…at least that was a definition I was given once...

Alright, so I should feel guilty about my lentil stew which contains 3 types of lentils, chickpeas, garam masala, jalapeno, mushroom, parsnip, carrot, and ginger (10 ingredients, heavens to betsy!). Got it!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

/rant

Alright, so I should feel guilty about my lentil stew which contains 3 types of lentils, chickpeas, garam masala, jalapeno, mushroom, parsnip, carrot, and ginger (10 ingredients, heavens to betsy!). Got it!

totally dirty ...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    in_before_the_lock_gif.gif
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Myth or no, as long as I'm losing, I'm eating dirty. So, so dirty.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I rely on Taco Bell to periodically cleanse my toxins. Works like a charm. And I wash my hands before I eat (and after the cleanse) so I'm pretty sure it's all clean.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I lose much more weight on a diet that includes processed foods because I will actually keep to that diet. I'm having a lot of success eating what I'm used to eating.

If I tried to eat "clean" 100% of the time I would give up completely, go back to my old way of eating, and then just keep slowly gaining weight. I think that many of the people pushing "clean" diets are perfectly happy eating that way.

If you are eating a diet that satisfies you, you are much more likely to have success with it. "Clean" eaters may actually lose more weight if they comply with their diet more consistently when they eat that way than they do otherwise.

Whatever is most comfortable for the individual is what is most likely to work long-term.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    If you spend $10, your bank account will decrease, regardless of what it is that you spent that money on. However, $10 of production materials will benefit the profitability of the business more than the owner taking $10 out to buy himself lunch. Bank account - Calories. Profits - Macros.

Brilliant!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »

What's funny is that I find that turkey burgers are really not any less caloric than regular burgers (if I use like 85/15 beef). The beef ones taste better, too.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I often run or lift shortly after eating a 1200 calorie meal. I can't imagine trying to do anything after eating six and a half pounds of carrots. (I can't imagine getting even half of that down my throat.)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    in_before_the_lock_gif.gif

oh come on now …easy on the drama. nothing is getting locked down …LOL

my threads always make it to page 20 before that happens…:)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I often run or lift shortly after eating a 1200 calorie meal. I can't imagine trying to do anything after eating six and a half pounds of carrots. (I can't imagine getting even half of that down my throat.)

bla …or 1200 calories of broccoli …talk about clearing the gym out...