Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How Much People Overeat

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    did we ever determine the point of this thread….or, as I suspect, was it just a lame trolling attempt?
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Anyone ever grilled a PB&J? Like, in the same way as a grilled cheese? Stuff that dreams are made of.

WOW. :open_mouth: I have a feeling my life will never be the same.
    I was going to eat my banana plain. Time for a Jif-Nana !

How about…

o-PEANUT-BUTTER-BANANA-HOT-DOG-facebook.jpg
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    did we ever determine the point of this thread….or, as I suspect, was it just a lame trolling attempt?

I thought it was peanut butter facts?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Most people gain 1 to 2lbs per year. That means that, on average, people overeat by only 10 to 20 calories per day. For those of you who like to weigh stuff, that is between 1.7 and 3.4 grams of peanut butter per day.

actually
    Adults tend to gain weight progressively through middle age. Although the average weight gain is 0.5 to 1 kg per year, this modest accumulation of weight can lead to obesity over time.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23638485

and over 30 years that is 30-60lbs...so we are actually saving ourselves...we are being preventative instead of reactive.

and this stat only applies to those who aren't logging accurately with a food scale...cause those of us who use a food scale won't be gaining that weight...but you will.

Mind-Blown-Kramer.gif

To add to this -
    Doesn't part of it have to do with progressively becoming less active as one ages?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Most people gain 1 to 2lbs per year. That means that, on average, people overeat by only 10 to 20 calories per day. For those of you who like to weigh stuff, that is between 1.7 and 3.4 grams of peanut butter per day.

actually
    Adults tend to gain weight progressively through middle age. Although the average weight gain is 0.5 to 1 kg per year, this modest accumulation of weight can lead to obesity over time.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23638485

and over 30 years that is 30-60lbs...so we are actually saving ourselves...we are being preventative instead of reactive.

and this stat only applies to those who aren't logging accurately with a food scale...cause those of us who use a food scale won't be gaining that weight...but you will.

Mind-Blown-Kramer.gif

Sure...whatever. I've lost more than 50lbs without using a scale, there's no reason to think I need one to maintain my weight. Maintenance is more about having an effective regulator than it is about knowing how many calories you're eating.

I'm curious, how close are you to maintenance and what is your plan?

I agree, a scale isn't necessary for weight loss or maintenance, but it makes things easier.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    People don't eat within 10-20 calories a day. Even if you try to, it's not likely to be possible. People eat all over the map. It's just a matter of does it all come out in the wash with higher days and lower days, or do they have an overall surplus.
  • kleonard84
    kleonard84 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2015
    I just joined MFP last week and have never been on the boards before, but this thread just made me love everyone of you guys and gals.

Except for you. You know who you are. *squinty stare*
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    My kid has a peanut allergy so we can't keep peanut products in the house. This thread makes me sad. I miss peanut butter.
  • kleonard84
    Also, to contribute to the important PB-related theme of this thread, one whole grain English muffin, one Tbsp of honey-roasted crunchy peanut butter, and 1 Tbsp of hazelnut spread is 300 calories. Best. Breakfast. EVER.
  • kleonard84
    edited May 2015
    (Grrrr... double post)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    minkky wrote: »
    Peanut butter? Can chocolate please get involved here somewhere?

YOU, I like!
    1886zf7sed95.jpeg
  • Extra86
    Extra86 Posts: 21 Member
    I have averaged a weight gain of 3.19 lbs. over the past 27 years.
  • fraserkr
    fraserkr Posts: 110 Member

aavjsi9249ye.jpg

Reeses peanut butter cup chocolate brownie bottomed cheese cake...

I *really* want a slice of this cake. never heard of it before! someone's been hoarding all the good stuff.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2015

I'm only a sample size of one, but I'm not sure I know ANYBODY who fits this description of 1-2 lbs./year. Most people I know who have gained, did so in spurts, sometimes due to something specific (say, pregnancy or inactivity due to an injury; going away to college and eating "freely" for the first time and going crazy, or whatever) and sometimes by apparent surprise. They might have then gone six months, two years, five years, hell, any random amount of time before gaining again (if they've been in an uphill spiral and didn't just gain that one "bulk" amount and then stayed stable). OR they got into a cycle of gaining but it sure as hell didn't add up to only two pounds in a year. Rather it might be X amount of pounds per month while they struggled to get their eating back under control.

People have asked where you've heard this, I'd be curious to know the answer to that as well? Also, by "people" - do you mean 18-and-overs? Over 30s? Or does this include children who should be naturally gaining weight as time goes on or, or, or...? That's pretty vague, to say "most people" gain 1 to 2 lbs. per year.

And let's be logical here, that DOESN'T mean people who do gain a pound or two in a year ate 10-20 extra calories a day. In fact, it's pretty unlikely they got it that accurate. More likely is the binge-diet-binge cycle, or even just bingeing, say, at holidays, out drinking and so on alternating with days where they're eating what would have been maintenance for them, had the binges not been sprinkled in.

I can stay this same weight from now through May 12, 2016 and then I can gain one pound of water overnight on May 13, 2016 and still fit in with your "average" when I'm figured in with everybody else - the assumption will be that I gained one pound in one year. After all, on May 13, 2015 I stepped on a scale and weighed 190 and on May 13, 2015 I stepped on a scale and weighed 191. I just don't see how this particular claim can have any credence for the overall population - that they're accidentally overeating, but doing so at a consistent 10-20 calories per day. I mean I am sorry to say this but that just sounds kind of silly.

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    minties82 wrote: »
    I don't know what they put in peanut butter in America?! You guys seem obsessed with it.

I know! Im so glad I don't live in the us, I'd probably be dead by now. But on the bright side, looks like I won't be putting on a pound or two each year.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member

reeses-344x375c.jpg

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2015

katem999 wrote: »
    I don't know what they put in peanut butter in America?! You guys seem obsessed with it.

I know! Im so glad I don't live in the us, I'd probably be dead by now. But on the bright side, looks like I won't be putting on a pound or two each year.

Peanut butter is crack.

Tasty, nutty, crunchy (I like mine crunchy) crack.

Mmmm.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    kleonard84 wrote: »
    Also, to contribute to the important PB-related theme of this thread, one whole grain English muffin, one Tbsp of honey-roasted crunchy peanut butter, and 1 Tbsp of hazelnut spread is 300 calories. Best. Breakfast. EVER.

Welcome, welcome! And that - that is the stuff of dreams. (note to self, eat this soon). Btw, do be sure to weigh the tbsp of hazelnut spread. The margin of error is no good for stuff like that. :smile:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    kleonard84 wrote: »

That was my lunch today (well, the whole grain muffin and 2tbsp creamy honey roasted peanut butter...I may or may not *GASP* think Nutella is overrated)

And now I shall contribute this so I don't get shunned out of the thread

54ef851fcbd28_-_chocolate-peanut-butter-fudge-bars-lg.jpg
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

katem999 wrote: »

Peanut butter is crack.

Tasty, nutty, crunchy (I like mine crunchy) crack.

Mmmm.

Yeah, even though it's not as popular here as in the us (thank god), my mother is pretty addicted to it. I can blame her pregnant gorging on the stuff for my allergy...