Secret Eating - help!

Options
2»

Replies

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I didn't think of it until right this moment, but I eat in secret, too. This is exactly why my eating binges look like this: a bite of this, a dab of that, a sip of this other thing, a lick of that other thing. I don't want anybody to be able to see that all of something is gone since the last time he or she was in the kitchen, so I make it hard to pinpoint what and how much I ate. It's hard behavior to change; that's for sure! I think the first time I joined an on-line support group, I weighed about 30 pounds less than I do now. I try and give up on myself on a daily basis!
  • YoungIronG
    YoungIronG Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i chew gum... hard gumballs, then my jaw is too tired to eat
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks Zombieinkpot. I will try to look at my feelings a bit more! I have tried but I can never identify anything going on, I just seem to be greedy and bored!

I think you might be right about not eating enough or not being excited about what meal I have planned though - that seems to ring really true. As well as when I don't have any meals planned - that seems to set them off - like I have so much choice I grab loads of things and eat them all.

Thanks everyone! I feel better knowing I'm not alone!
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your post in so many ways- I know that seeking counsel and OA are often recommended- but I simply do not have access to that in the small rural town I live in. Having said that- I have found a lot of help in flexible dieting/iifym. Before- I "dieted" my way into obesity- eating "clean" and I would do great for a handful of days then binge. I definitely have food issues- and do not know where they stem from or all of my triggers- but since I have been practicing flexible dieting- I feel like I have control over it now- have made great progress- and never feel denied. I am now a heavy lifter- strong-empowered- and no longer feel panic or loos of control. Know that you are not alone- and you have a wonderful support group here!
  • kas1317
    kas1317 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i am the same way! I am a smaller person (5'1 and 117 pounds) but I can out eat any man. Last weekend i ate 5 pieces of papa john's pizza and then went to get a milkshake and had to cookies (from Chick-fil-a) on the way home and threw away the wrappers and only walked inside with the milkshake. Of course my stomach hurt and i felt guilty, but while i was shoveling food in my face...i DIDNT CARE! it was so good. If i didnt order the pizza, i would have been fine. Everyone says "eat 1-2 pieces". HOW???????
  • brookekingyens
    brookekingyens Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I also have a daily desire to down an entire family sized bag of potato chips by myself. I'm pretty sure the only reason I do this is because it tastes good, and I've somehow convinced myself I deserve it.

I've only been back on food/activity tracking for 10 days. I've done this before and lost weight, my issue is that once I've lost it, I quit. This time, my goal is to keep at it to maintain my weight as well.

I've found that staying committed to tracking does help (but you REALLY have to own up to EVERYTHING you eat). When you do slip up, don't be too hard on yourself. You ate it, you logged it, move on and fix it with better habits tomorrow.

Aside from just tracking calories, this time I'm also trying monitor my nutrient breakdown. When I'm feeling like a snack, I'm aiming for a snack that fits what I've been lacking for the day (sadly it's always protien). The goal here is to actually give my body what it's actually asking for. Usually this involves preparing something as well, so it forces you to think 'how bad do I really want a snack?'.

Lastly, whether I keep them in the house or not, it's easy enough for me to go buy a bag of chips or a chocolate bar (Everything is walking distance). For this reason, I do keep substitutes on hand like pop-chips, special K cracker chips and 80% cocoa chocolate bars (which for me is enough cocoa to limit my intake). This way, if all else fails and I do end up finishing a whole bag/box of something, it's usually only enough to prevent weight loss for the day and doesn't really set me back any. Again, you eat it, you log it, and you do better tomorrow.
  • fruitsalad15
    Options
    kas1317 wrote: »
    i am the same way! I am a smaller person (5'1 and 117 pounds) but I can out eat any man. Last weekend i ate 5 pieces of papa john's pizza and then went to get a milkshake and had to cookies (from Chick-fil-a) on the way home and threw away the wrappers and only walked inside with the milkshake. Of course my stomach hurt and i felt guilty, but while i was shoveling food in my face...i DIDNT CARE! it was so good. If i didnt order the pizza, i would have been fine. Everyone says "eat 1-2 pieces". HOW???????

How do you do that and stay at 117lbs!!!! Well Done you!!! I agree - who can only eat 1-2 pieces!!!
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I so relate to this. I've had a history of disordered eating, so when I find myself in a "secret eating" mental place, I have to stop and think about what's going on in my life. Like, I'll be painfully full, and still eating! For me, it's usually that there is something in my life that I feel like I'm unable to control or that I'm dreading dealing with (or both), and for me, that's a trigger -- but once I can identify it, and spend some time thinking about it/ talking it through with my partner, it typically alleviates the behaviour for me. Stress is a MAJOR thing for many of us, and it has so many more impacts than we even realise.

I'm not saying that's what triggers yours, but it can't hurt to offer experience. Good luck!
  • meganlee65
    meganlee65 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem and finally this week, I got fed up with it and I looked into OA. I live in a small town in North Dakota and the closest meeting is 50 miles away, but I found both telephone and online meetings so you don't have to live near a face to face meeting! Go to www.oa.org and you can choose find a meeting and click on online meetings. I don't think it's as good as a face to face meeting, but it connects with you others who are going through the same thing!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest an online meeting of OA. Bravo, @meganlee65 . I'm not prone to binging myself, and I own my love of food (no hiding it away). But I sympathize. I relate it to the abstention/binge/shame cycle common with addicts. You guys can correct me if I am wrong because you have way more experience with this than I do, but it seems to me that there are two main issues. First is figuring out what emotion the food is suppressing and work on that, and the other is to remove the shame from food.
  • fruitsalad15
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and help. I mentioned to my husband that I had posted here and he was very supportive too.