Do you log your fruit?

Options

Replies

• BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate tons of fruit and went over on carbs but always log because they still have calories!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat including fruits of vegetables because it all has calories. I need to know how many calories I am eating to lose weight. Some fruits and vegetables can add up to quite a few calories.
    I look at calories first then glance at protein, fiber, fats, carbs and sodium. I don't even look at sugar because I don't have a health condition that requires me to monitor and limit sugar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Yes...

Also keep in mind that while sugar is sugar, the numbers MFP gives you are for added sugars. If you eat any fruit at all, you're going to be over that number. Personally, unless you are eating cake for lunch and washing it down with 40 oz Big Gulps (that would be a problem) or have a medical condition that warrants watching sugar, I'd just switch it to fiber or something.

Manage your macros, don't micro-manage your micros.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ah, I was just going to ask this today. I have 4g of sugar left and the only sugar I took in was from one banana & 2 teaspoons of honey for breakfast & a cup of strawberries for a snack just now. I am trying not to worry about it TOO much - but its hard not to notice, and I still want to track sugar....but try to tell myself to not stress about it. That's why I quit WW too. I wasn't losing a thing after a while, and since I jumped back on MFP I have lost 0.8-1 lbs a week. When I logged my food for the first day after WW I was like, WOAH, I was eating WAY too much.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If you aren't going to track accurately, what is the point of tracking at all?

That's not negativity. I can't even really see how it was taken as such. That is an honest question that you should ask yourself.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I log everything. An apples a day, a banana, and some berries don't negatively impact my overall balance. My overall carbs are usually at or below my self-imposed reduced daily target.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes. Fruits have calories so you should log them.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    If you aren't going to track accurately, what is the point of tracking at all?

That's not negativity. I can't even really see how it was taken as such. That is an honest question that you should ask yourself.
    I didn't see negativity but sometimes the truth hurts..

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,324 Member
    Options
    I eat strawberries, banana and one apple or orange every day and yes i log them without going over my sugar limits.
  • greco16
    greco16 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I track fiber instead of sugar. Had 25 grams by lunch time.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I log all my fruits and ignore the sugar macro.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yes...

Also keep in mind that while sugar is sugar, the numbers MFP gives you are for added sugars. If you eat any fruit at all, you're going to be over that number. Personally, unless you are eating cake for lunch and washing it down with 40 oz Big Gulps (that would be a problem) or have a medical condition that warrants watching sugar, I'd just switch it to fiber or something.

What do you mean by the bolder part? Mfp doesn't separate added sugar from sugar from fruit. I've gone over on sugar from just eating fruits and veggies.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Fruit has a ton of calories. I wouldn't even consider not logging it. However I did switch from tracking sugar which is useless for me to tracking fiber which I feel is much more informative.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Yes...

What do you mean by the bolder part? Mfp doesn't separate added sugar from sugar from fruit. I've gone over on sugar from just eating fruits and veggies.
    It does separate it. Sugar is counted in your carbs, the sugar macro is for added sugar.
  • Lukyanenko
    Lukyanenko Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I log fruit, but I don't track sugar intake. I just track for the calories.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Yes...

It does separate it. Sugar is counted in your carbs, the sugar macro is for added sugar.

Not on mine it doesn't. According to my food reports...I have had 14g (approximately) of sugar from processed food. Yet...my sugar level reflects that I have had 66g. Those 52g extra grams came from 1 1/2 banana, 432g of watermelon plus some came from the vegetables that I have eaten today.

Maybe MFP works differently for some...idk.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Yes...

Me too. I have had a heavy fruit day today.

• lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

I don't know what you're talking about. Sugar is certainly included in total carb counts, but is still indicated as an independent nutrient when logging. Unless you're using specifically modified entries that exclude naturally occurring sugars (which I don't see much point in if you're going to the effort of logging), it absolutely is included in your sugar counts.

For example, yesterday I had 283g of strawberries. Total carbs - 22.6g; 5.7g fiber, 14.1g sugar. Strawberries definitely do not have 14g of added sugar. The sugar was included in my overall daily total, along with sugars from the blackberries, chocolate, and potatoes I had. Nutrition information does not discern between naturally occurring and added sugars, just overall quantity.

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I eat a *lot* of fruit, log everything, and track fiber, not sugar.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    As others have said, unless you have a reason to log sugar, you should replace it with something else (like everyone else I replaced it with fiber). Sugar is not the enemy, and if you're eating fruit and limiting things like candy bars and cake (or even go days completely without them) then it doesn't matter, anyway. But the calories certainly DO matter. A big enough apple or banana can wipe out your deficit depending on how big it is.