Eating less calories then my actual goal and putting on weight?

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    mrsvstol wrote: »
    if you aren't eating enough your body will go into starvation mode and store fat instead of burning it. You must have balance when it comes to eating and exercise. you cant exercise all day but barely eat. you also have to be considerate of what youre eating even if its low in calories.

Definitely NOT THIS.

Yes it can be this!http://www.coachcalorie.com/get-over-fear-of-eating-more-calories/

As the article explains eating below your BMR or too few calories in general will NOT result in greater weight loss. It will stall it and YES cause a GAIN! I'm living proof of this. It was my MD who pointed it out. I slowly added calories until I was 2100-2400 per day. Then I started cutting 50 calories a day. Somewhere in the 2000-2100 range I started losing. As the article states 100 calorie a day deficit can lead to 1 lb a week weight loss.

100 calories a day is 700 calories in a week. How will this result in losing 1 pound a week?

Because our bodies are not mathematical equations. There are hormones and other factors that come into play. There is also a significant bump in metabolism. It just works.

If you are going to assert that a deficit of 700 calories will burn an additional 2,800 calories, you need more than "it just works."

94867-magic-gif-Shia-Imgur-MAH7.gif

• losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    l0vegood wrote: »
    Your goal is 1770. Make it lower. Try 1300 or 1200.

Agree. Don't do this UNLESS that might be your total intake for the day, which in that case may or may not be right. I'd need to know more about you to help you (height, weight, age, activity level in the gym and out) bu you can easily educate yourself on what TDEE and BMR are. (Google it - you can find many calculators but the one on www.scoobysworkshop.com is widely used by folks on MFP). Get a good book that also offers info on strength training also. The New Rules of Lifting (either for Men or Women) is a good place to start.

For example my TDEE says I can eat roughly 2100-2400 to maintain my weight assuming I exercise moderately 3-5 days a week or vigorously 6-7 days (I teach fitness classes and generally move a lot and have a lot of muscle mass). So when I am trying to drop fat I cut my TDEE by 15% to create a deficit so I eat between 1800-2000 depending on how many classes I've taught in a day. I lose slow at that rate (.75-1 lb) per week but it's hopefully not muscle and all fat. That's what you are looking for...but it is not a QUICK fix by any stretch.

Also in the info on the Eat More 2 Weigh Less website is very sound.
  • mrsvstol
    mrsvstol Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    l0vegood wrote: »
    Your goal is 1770. Make it lower. Try 1300 or 1200.

Agree. Don't do this UNLESS that might be your total intake for the day, which in that case may or may not be right. I'd need to know more about you to help you (height, weight, age, activity level in the gym and out) bu you can easily educate yourself on what TDEE and BMR are. (Google it - you can find many calculators but the one on www.scoobysworkshop.com is widely used by folks on MFP). Get a good book that also offers info on strength training also. The New Rules of Lifting (either for Men or Women) is a good place to start.

For example my TDEE says I can eat roughly 2100-2400 to maintain my weight assuming I exercise moderately 3-5 days a week or vigorously 6-7 days (I teach fitness classes and generally move a lot and have a lot of muscle mass). So when I am trying to drop fat I cut my TDEE by 15% to create a deficit so I eat between 1800-2000 depending on how many classes I've taught in a day. I lose slow at that rate (.75-1 lb) per week but it's hopefully not muscle and all fat. That's what you are looking for...but it is not a QUICK fix by any stretch.

Also in the info on the Eat More 2 Weigh Less website is very sound.

^^THIS^^^
  • mrsvstol
    mrsvstol Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Let me find the article. His site is packed with info. I know I just read it this past week. His advice as with my MD to eat more was really hard to get my head around. It's flies in face of everything we've been told. I was very resistant to it in the beginning. As my Dr said if exercise plus 1200 calories was the answer everyone would be thin and the weight loss industry would be out of business.

Your doctor sounds profoundly confused.

Why?? Because she doesn't follow the VLC diet insanity?
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Dieter's Edema is a thing
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Let me find the article. His site is packed with info. I know I just read it this past week. His advice as with my MD to eat more was really hard to get my head around. It's flies in face of everything we've been told. I was very resistant to it in the beginning. As my Dr said if exercise plus 1200 calories was the answer everyone would be thin and the weight loss industry would be out of business.

I didn't say anything about a very low calorie diet. I think she's confused for maintaining that if you have a deficit of 700 calories, your body will somehow burn an additional 2,800 calories in a week.

Weight loss is caused by a caloric deficit. If someone's needs are more than 1,200 and they eat 1,200, they will lose weight. That doesn't mean that have to eat ONLY 1,200. Most people do burn more than 1,200 in a day, so they can eat more than 1,200 and still lose weight.

But your doctor is saying that if one eats less than one burns, the body will somehow hold on to energy. She needs to switch to physics because if she discovered that the body can produce energy from nothing (while also, somehow, create a deficit of 3,500 out of a 700 calorie deficit), it's a discovery that will change everything we think we know about energy.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    And we would all be very Hangry and miserable.

• PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you do cycling. Have you tried using one of the cycling apps to track it? I like MapMyRide, others like Strava. Both are free and will track your exact speed and elevation changes and can give you a more accurate calorie burn than MFP's estimate. Plus it's nice for other features.

Swimming is also hugely variable. You'd need to be in top shape doing a college level swim team workout to burn 800 calories in an hour.
  • JessicaAllisonO
    JessicaAllisonO Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you start eating fewer calories your metabolism slows down to compensate. So even though you think you have a 500 calorie deficit your body is slowing down and you are no longer cutting the 3500 calories per week. Two major signs of a slowing metabolism: 1. you'll be more tired than usual, crashing hours earlier than before and 2. you'll find that you'll feel colder at a temperature that you would normally feel comfortable. The solution is a slow, progressive reverse diet until your weight levels out and your daily calories roughly matches the TDEE from common calculators. THEN a slow progressive cut of calories as mentioned in previous posts. Everyone likes to simplify this dieting thing but it's not that simple. "starvation mode" is a real thing but it's not what you all are experiencing, you're body is just trying to compensate metabolically. science.
  • NellyDolphin
    NellyDolphin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    You mentioned that you do cycling. Have you tried using one of the cycling apps to track it? I like MapMyRide, others like Strava. Both are free and will track your exact speed and elevation changes and can give you a more accurate calorie burn than MFP's estimate. Plus it's nice for other features.

Swimming is also hugely variable. You'd need to be in top shape doing a college level swim team workout to burn 800 calories in an hour.

• NellyDolphin
    NellyDolphin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do use that app for cycling that's how I know my speed etc.
    oh no, I don't swim that much to burn that much calories
  • ximeniuxix
    ximeniuxix Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    May be it could be better if you do a diet checking the GI. Glusemic índex
  • myepi
    myepi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    if you aren't eating enough your body will go into starvation mode and store fat instead of burning it. You must have balance when it comes to eating and exercise. you cant exercise all day but barely eat. you also have to be considerate of what youre eating even if its low in calories.

Definitely NOT THIS.

Yes it can be this!http://www.coachcalorie.com/get-over-fear-of-eating-more-calories/

As the article explains eating below your BMR or too few calories in general will NOT result in greater weight loss. It will stall it and YES cause a GAIN! I'm living proof of this. It was my MD who pointed it out. I slowly added calories until I was 2100-2400 per day. Then I started cutting 50 calories a day. Somewhere in the 2000-2100 range I started losing. As the article states 100 calorie a day deficit can lead to 1 lb a week weight loss.

100 calories a day is 700 calories in a week. How will this result in losing 1 pound a week?

Because our bodies are not mathematical equations. There are hormones and other factors that come into play. There is also a significant bump in metabolism. It just works.

100 calorie deficit per day does not equal one pound weight loss per week for anyone. I would like to see the medical issue for this to apply.

Try it. Eat up to your TDEE. Stay there for 3-4 weeks or longer. Then start subtracting 50 calories a day. You will shred weight like crazy.

This doesn't make sense to me. By this logic, wouldn't a person who's been eating at maintenance for years and years, who cuts their calories also "shred weight like crazy?"

My MD suggested I go see a nutritionist.
    She wrote down my daily food intake, which was less than 1000 calories.
    She suggested I open MFP account (which I opened several years before), change my caloric intake to 1500, eat good breakfast which I skipped before, have 2 snacks, lunch and dinner. I have to watch fat, protein and carb intake. I am an avid indoor cyclist, I run occasionally and lift weights.
    In 7 days I dropped 5.5 pounds which has not happened even when I was juicing. My whole adult life I was eating only healthy foods, just not enough of it. The 500 extra calories per day (my hubby can not believe how much I'm eating) have made all the difference. I wish I visited my nutritionist before. I just have to say that I love her!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So as an avid cyclist, and a sometimes runner and lifter, you only consume 1500 calories per day? And you ask us if we promote a VLCD? That seems pretty dang low to me for someone who is really active such as your self. I could be wrong though. It happened that one time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a logging issue to me.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I cycle one hour a day and it burns between 500-600 calories and I use Pacer to track my steps and adds an extra 300 calories, that's how I burn my calories.
    I just started using this app and I'm truly trying to put down everything I eat but maybe it's just not enough time and I'm panicking for nothing.
    Thank you for advice !!! I really appreciate it x

Tracking your steps throughout daily activity should not be added burn. This is taken into account in the energy you need to go through the day anyway. Unless you are walking extra *in order to* exercise, just usual movement should NOT be added as extra calories.

As for cycling, outdoors or indoors? Where's the calories measurement from? MFP estimate? HRM? The output reported on the bike?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

yopeeps025 wrote: »

No no no that is not how it works. You cannot store energy with no energy.

i didnt say store energy i said fat

Definitely NOT THIS.

These three posts combine for some of the misinformed, scientifically disproved, physically impossible concepts I've seen here for a long time.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

If this is true please explain how prisoners in concentration camps where extremely thin, basically just skin and bones? How are anorexic people so thin that they look like walking skeletons??
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    When you start eating fewer calories your metabolism slows down to compensate. So even though you think you have a 500 calorie deficit your body is slowing down and you are no longer cutting the 3500 calories per week. Two major signs of a slowing metabolism: 1. you'll be more tired than usual, crashing hours earlier than before and 2. you'll find that you'll feel colder at a temperature that you would normally feel comfortable. The solution is a slow, progressive reverse diet until your weight levels out and your daily calories roughly matches the TDEE from common calculators. THEN a slow progressive cut of calories as mentioned in previous posts. Everyone likes to simplify this dieting thing but it's not that simple. "starvation mode" is a real thing but it's not what you all are experiencing, you're body is just trying to compensate metabolically. science.

Metabolic adaptation takes months to happen.
  • ivyelaine96
    ivyelaine96 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cycling tho plus swimming

With the amount of excersize you're doing it's possible that you are toning and gaining muscle while losing fat. Muscle weighs more then fat so don't get discouraged!