about salad dressings....

sbwood888
sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
What do you use? I have been using Kraft Fat Free Italian or Kraft Fat Free Catalina. Both have too much sodium and the Catalina has too much sugar. Ugh. What do you use???

Replies

• wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    vinegar
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    That's the problem with salad dressing, isn't it? I'm curious, too!
  • jennsie
    jennsie Posts: 38
    I hate the taste of dressings and most sauces (mayo, ketchup, etc etc). I also don't like the texture.

When I have salad, I sprinkle some chopped walnuts on top of it. It tastes good.

Maybe I am just weird because I prefer my salad (and other foods) to be plain -- or with heaps of jalepenos/chillis!
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Call me weird but I don't use dressing on my salad.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    salad spritzer by wishbone . . .especially the ranch . .. 10 sprays is like 10 cals or something like that. I find 10 sprays covers 2 cups of spinach well
  • I love vinegar on my salads! Balsamic, Red Wine, White Balsamic...lots of choices! I think I have every flavor of vinegar in cupboard here at home lol
  • mok33
    mok33 Posts: 46 Member
    someone told me to buy the hidden valley ranch powder packets and mix it with fat free sour cream and stir in fat free milk to make a salad dressing consistency.... haven't tried it yet, but it's a good idea....
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    I eat a T. of what I like (Chunky Blue Cheese, forgot the brand at the moment) and count it. Sometimes I don't use any. Haven't found a fat free one that tastes any good plus don't they have junk in them? Yea, I'd rather have good stuff and simply count it, :tongue:
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    someone told me to buy the hidden valley ranch powder packets and mix it with fat free sour cream and stir in fat free milk to make a salad dressing consistency.... haven't tried it yet, but it's a good idea....
    Plain Greek Yogurt works well too, same consistency, texture as sour cream. :flowerforyou:
  • birdieandkenadi05
    birdieandkenadi05 Posts: 71 Member
    I use lime juice and a few sprays of the Wishbone Italian vinagerette salad spritzers..alot less sodium and nearly no sugar. It took a while for me to get used to because I use to drown my salad in dressing (Catalina was my fav) then I realized I was defeating the purpose of eating a salad by drowing it in all the toppings and sauces...

Good luck!!
  • birdieandkenadi05
    birdieandkenadi05 Posts: 71 Member
    I use lime juice and a few sprays of the Wishbone Italian vinagerette salad spritzers..alot less sodium and nearly no sugar. It took a while for me to get used to because I use to drown my salad in dressing (Catalina was my fav) then I realized I was defeating the purpose of eating a salad by drowing it in all the toppings and sauces...

Good luck!!

Fresh squeezed limes!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Tablespoon of olive oil, tablespoon of red wine vinegar, pinch of oregano, pinch of pepper. Easy peasy.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Seasoned rice wine vinegar. Yummy- and a little goes a long way.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,072 Member
    I love the Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings:
    http://bolthouse.com/our-products/dressings/yogurt-dressings
  • ginakelley
    ginakelley Posts: 33
    Fat free cottage cheese and chunky salsa! Good source of protein in the cottage cheese and the spicy kick I love from the salsa! I don't miss regular dressings at all!!!
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    I typically like to use an olive oil based red wine or balsamic vinaigrette. But lately I've been using the Marzetti Simply Dressed dressings. So far I've had the balsamic, ranch, and caesar and they're all good. Of course the ranch and caesar are higher in calories, as expected. The next one to try will be the champagne.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Fat free cottage cheese and chunky salsa! Good source of protein in the cottage cheese and the spicy kick I love from the salsa! I don't miss regular dressings at all!!!

Oooo... that sounds pretty good!

I bet it would be easy to whip up a nice dressing with salsa and greek yogurt too! :D
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    I've tried and liked several of Renee's Gourmet's dressings. A lot of them are low fat/low sodium/no preservatives (they have a fairly short shelf life). They taste pretty good too! A 1 tbsp serving for most of them ranges from 25-45 calories. Since they have no preservatives they're usually in the refrigerated produce section of the grocery store.
  • I use plain greek yogurt thinned out with a little squeezed lemon or pure orange juice and a teaspoon of honey or agave.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Tablespoon of olive oil, tablespoon of red wine vinegar, pinch of oregano, pinch of pepper. Easy peasy.

I make my own dressing, similar to this. if I'm low on calories I'll just use a tsp of oil, and maybe add 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard, squeeze of orange or lime juice - yum!!
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Equal parts virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, and dried oregano. Great on a greek salad!
  • art4fun69
    art4fun69 Posts: 151 Member
    I like the maple grove farms of vermont fat free balsamic, it is yummy
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    red wine vinegar is my first fav, but i have a few other ones I can mix in my salad instead

If I want something more heavy then I make my jalapeno ranch.

Ranch dressing mix
    a container or sour cream /ligh/ no fat sour cream or greek yogurt
    pickled jalapeno and some juice from container.

Or something more light but flavor full caesar type

olive oil (1 or 2 tbs)
    grated garlic (1 or 2 cloves)
    lemon juice
    splash of worchester sauce
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    I make my own. it so unbelievably easy, once you get the hang of it. 3 parts olive oil or nut oil of choosing and and acid. So I use 1 tbsp to 1 tsp. As for acids I use a variety of things lemon juice, lime juice, braggs apple cider vinegar, rice wine vinegar or even pickle juice if I'm putting pickles in my salad. if you want a thicker dressing you can add a bit of plain yogurt or a bit of smashed avocado. You can also smash berries like raspberries or strawberries for a fruity vinaigrette. season with whatever herbs and spices you like. Whisk together and enjoy.
  • baddkitty187
    baddkitty187 Posts: 62 Member
    I absolutely love the wishbone vinegrettes, romano basil, balsamic basil and red wine are my favs, my aunt loves raspberry walnut
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Call me weird but I don't use dressing on my salad.
    Not weird at all I occasionally use hummus or salsa instead.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I use a teaspoon of olive or walnut oil and a tiny bit of balsamic reduction. About 40 cals total.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    I like to cut my dressing in half with salsa. cuts back on the fat but you still get good flavor on your salad.
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    I also use Maple Farms of Vermont Balsamic Vinaigrette, love it.
    Fat Free

2 Tablespoons has:
    15 calories
    95 mg sodium (very low compared to others)
    3 carbs
    2 sugars

Or I make my own with olive oil, red wine vingar, oregano and basil, pepper.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    I know not everyone has a Trader joes in their area but I really like their Low fat Ranch Parmesan dressing, taste really good!
This discussion has been closed.