Carbs fat protein?

Options
Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
On mfp it's telling me how many carbs , protein , fat I should be consuming. 50/20/30 does it know this because of the data I've put in like weight , height, goals etc? Or is this not accurate should I manually change it myself or leave it? Just downloaded the app yesterday it's great just not sure of a few things. Any help? Thanks :)

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Likely that is the default. Focus on these two numbers:
    ~Calories
    ~Protein
    The other stuff you can concern yourself with later.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP automatically sets that macro ratio for everyone. You can change your macro ratio if you would like. As for what ratio is best for you, it really all depends on your goals and how you like to eat. Alot of people find they feel fuller if they eat alot of protein when they are cutting calories. Also consider your fitness goals. If you are working alot on strength training then you might want a higher percentage of fat and protein. If you are an avid runner you might opt for a higher percentage of carbs.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's the default. I'm not a fan of it. Do a higher % of protein. That'll help with reducing body fat. I think the 40/40/20 (p/c/f) is a great, well-balanced place to start.

Allan
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    They are typically set to mins set by USDA.

You can adjust as necessary based on personal preference. Mine are set for 45/25/30 because you really only need 0.8grams of protein for every lb of body weight.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Thanks guys I think I'm gonna go with the 40/40/20 because I do run a lot but I do also do weights aswell which I really enjoy .. You's are all saying .8 grams protein for every lb of body weight but how do you work that out exactly like what sum would you do for it? Sorry I must sound stupid it's just I'm new to all this but I just want to get it right. I make sure my calories in are a lot smaller than out etc it's just the whole macros I'm not good with Thanks
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    0.8 per lean lb of body weight so you have a gram total to hit.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    You's are all saying .8 grams protein for every lb of body weight but how do you work that out exactly like what sum would you do for it?
    If you weigh 140 lbs, the sum would be 0.8 x 140 = 112 (so 112 grams of Protein).
  • Samm471
    Options
    You's are all saying .8 grams protein for every lb of body weight but how do you work that out exactly like what sum would you do for it?
    If you weigh 140 lbs, the sum would be 0.8 x 140 = 112 (so 112 grams of Protein).

This mfp says 81 grams protein so should I up this? What your saying sounds right
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    What's your weight at the moment?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    On mfp it's telling me how many carbs , protein , fat I should be consuming. 50/20/30 does it know this because of the data I've put in like weight , height, goals etc? Or is this not accurate should I manually change it myself or leave it? Just downloaded the app yesterday it's great just not sure of a few things. Any help? Thanks :)

It is the default macro setting...you can change it to whatever you like.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Mine is currently set at 50/25/25
  • msfitandtrim
    msfitandtrim Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The app is great but I changed mine a bit to 40/30/30 to even it out a bit