Miles Ran to Bugs Ingested (ratio)

Options
1235»

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Oh also not a running thing, but last night I found a 2 inch long weird bug thing that my dad thinks is a silver fish from the picture I sent him. It was just chilling on my wall, but above my bed which is NOT OK, so... I squished the poor not-so-little guy :(

2inches?! Urgh. Luckily I've only ever seen them about 1cm long here in the UK.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @katalinax87 Can't log dogs here. It may work for you too when it comes to dogs. I have a couple on my biking route that are very aggressive, deep mean growls and hard charging. I slow down to almost a crawl, no eye contact and no talking to them. Once I slow down enough they don't seem to treat me like I am prey/food source or threat anymore and loose interest in me. By then they are still very close to me. I never take my attention off them until I am a few hundred yards further on. Only then do I return to pace. Fortunately, most of the dogs on my routes come up with an excited bark, follow along beside me a few yards away until they reach their property line, then kind of whimper as if their play buddy is leaving and then turn back towards home.
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    DesertGunR wrote: »
    @katalinax87 Can't log dogs here. It may work for you too when it comes to dogs. I have a couple on my biking route that are very aggressive, deep mean growls and hard charging. I slow down to almost a crawl, no eye contact and no talking to them. Once I slow down enough they don't seem to treat me like I am prey/food source or threat anymore and loose interest in me. By then they are still very close to me. I never take my attention off them until I am a few hundred yards further on. Only then do I return to pace. Fortunately, most of the dogs on my routes come up with an excited bark, follow along beside me a few yards away until they reach their property line, then kind of whimper as if their play buddy is leaving and then turn back towards home.

Thanks for the advice. I've been made nervous a couple of times but it was nothing compared to the very girlie shreeking I pulled when a rat ran out in front of me! Hate rats!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    May 1 to May 15. 73:3
  • DesertGunR
    Options
    @katalinax87 You're welcome. I hope it helps. Just remember since you are running that may mean you will have to come to a complete stop. Also, breath deep, slow and go to your happy place. Keep total awareness of the dog. It may take some time before the dog moves on. Once you notice that it is moving away wait a bit, then a very slow walk to get a good distance away before starting to jog and returning to your run. If the dogs are always loose and aggressive like you say, I'd contact animal control for your area and see if they can trap them. Remember always better to be safe than sorry. Some dogs may not calm down. Don't blame the dog, it is the lack of training from their owner.
  • DesertGunR
    Options
    Got back from a ride a little while ago. I think I rode through at least 3 gnat swarms. Either that or the first one really stuck with me. After the first mouthful near the top of my first big hill, hell if I know how many I gulped down. Kind of caught me off guard. I tried to do a better job on the other swarms since the lighting was just right and I was able to hold my breath as I breezed through them. Got a couple in my eyes despite sunglasses. Seemed to have a couple that no matter how many times I took the glasses off seemed to fly right back in.

Figure I'll log enough to get an extra 3g/4g of protein today. LoL.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Just back from a nice trail run. Managed to avoid ingesting any bugs but had plenty stuck to my sweaty face and one up the nose. Not sure if it's just my imagination but I felt like it was wiggling up there for a while.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    It would appear someone added "gnat" to the MFP food database, although I question the calorie count submitted :)

LOL!!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    It would appear someone added "gnat" to the MFP food database, although I question the calorie count submitted :)
    But that's only one gnat. It seems most people go through "swarms". So I added a new serving size for "partial swarm". That's nutrition!
  • JBROC5
    JBROC5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Summertime in Alabama means I'll be running after the sun goes down (dusk-ish), so there is no need for sunglasses. However, a pair of clear safety glasses could prove useful. Maybe I should try to be conscientious of my mouth being open while I'm running, too.

Jen: Those poor, poor caterpillars

I lived in Alabama and would mt bike in the evening or am. Those dang night spiders would always be out and if I was the first on the trail I would always end up with one on my helmet. And yes, mt biking I have to wear glass of some sort or I will get a gnat in my eye and I have sucked in those tiny ones and about choked.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've been bug free for nearly 4 years and thousands of miles.
  • DesertGunR
    Options
    hermann341 wrote: »
    I've been bug free for nearly 4 years and thousands of miles.

Must be biking around inside the worlds biggest bubble "boy" bubble. LoL
  • DesertGunR
    Options
    No bugs to log for today's ride thanks to a gentle rain. I swear it was squirrel suicide attempt day. I've always seen a quite a few squirrels being in a semi rural area. As they hear/see me they are gone before I get 20 yards from them. Today, I counted 17 squirrels that ran across the road as soon as I got 10 feet from them. Three so close I nearly ran over their tails. One of them changed its mind last second and went between the front and rear wheel and that was after just being missed by the front wheels. Strangest thing I've ever seen concerning squirrels.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's 8k had zero bugs ingested, but several attacks. I ran in a different area than I usually do with a river involved. Bugs were aplenty but my mouth stayed closed!
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Are you logging these bugs into your daily food dairy. Some bugs have lots of protein....just saying this might be a helpful tip.