pwh300
pwh300 Posts: 99 Member
What kind of food scale do you have?

Replies

• PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have a weight watchers thing, but just because my sister was buying a new one and gave me her old one.

If I was buying one, I'd get the Ozeri for $15 on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Kitchen-Capacity-Stylish/dp/B003E7AZQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431736218&sr=8-1&keywords=weightwatchers+food+scale
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Mine is a digital, no brand on it. On the back it says "digital kitchen scale". I can do oz, or grams and it is super easy to use. Knowing me, I bought it on Amazon
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I just have the 13$ one from Wal-Mart. There's no name brand on it but it works just fine
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have a taylor digital scale. Just make sure you can measure in ounces and grams and it has a tare option.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    I have a weight watchers thing, but just because my sister was buying a new one and gave me her old one.

If I was buying one, I'd get the Ozeri for $15 on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Kitchen-Capacity-Stylish/dp/B003E7AZQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431736218&sr=8-1&keywords=weightwatchers+food+scale

I have this and I like it.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have a Salter digital that I picked up at a goodwill before I started using MFP. Still works, and I like that it takes AAA batteries instead of button style ones.

I actually bought a Taylor scale at Target this week just to see if mine was measuring as accurately. I hated it and took it back. It felt cheap, the numbers flickered, and it had a huge lag time when I'd tare.
  • pwh300
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I have a taylor digital scale. Just make sure you can measure in ounces and grams and it has a tare option.

What is a tare option?
  • arditarose
    Options
    pwh300 wrote: »

What is a tare option?

You can put a plate on it and "tare" it to zero before you add food. Or you can add one ingredient, and tare it back to zero before you add another.
  • pwh300
    Options
    Thank you.
  • LisaRoloff
    LisaRoloff Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have the ones from when I used to make soap and bath goodies as a part time side business. the big scale is pelouze postage one that goes up to 5 lbs and the little one is one I got from a head shop. Really accurate cause I used to be measuring chemicals and just a bit off can mess up a whole batch or soap or bath fizzies.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I bought this one because it has a large platform and a large display. My other scale was a cheaper one, $15 Oster brand. Worked fine but I wanted to be able to put bigger dishes on it and still be able to see the display. I love this scale!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Elite-Digital-Kitchen/dp/B009EUPMFK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431736956&sr=8-2&keywords=eat+smart+food+scale
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Tare option <3 best thing ever.

• king042
    king042 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    $14 dollar scale from Walmart. No name. Nothing special but it gets the job done.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have the $15 black slimline scale from Walmart. Works just fine.
  • forgtmenot
    edited May 2015
    Options
    LisaRoloff wrote: »
    I have the ones from when I used to make soap and bath goodies as a part time side business. the big scale is pelouze postage one that goes up to 5 lbs and the little one is one I got from a head shop. Really accurate cause I used to be measuring chemicals and just a bit off can mess up a whole batch or soap or bath fizzies.

Lol

• arditarose
    Options
    LisaRoloff wrote: »

I actually never thought of getting one there. I live closer to a head shop than any target/department store.
  • forgtmenot
    Options

What is a tare option?

You can put a plate on it and "tare" it to zero before you add food. Or you can add one ingredient, and tare it back to zero before you add another.

Yes! Mine does this and it is awesome! Do not get an analog scale that doesn't have a tare/zero button. I made that mistake with the first one I bought and had to return it. It was even called a "diet scale", but it was completely useless. It only went up to 2 lbs and the numbers were segmented by 20 gram increments. That means the measurement could be off by 20 grams and you wouldn't even know. 20 grams is a lot when you're weighing food.
  • seiffertrk
    seiffertrk Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have this OXO scale. It's a bit more expensive than the other suggestions so far, but the feature I like about it most is that you have up to a half hour to keep adding things while it will remember the most recent tare. This is useful when cutting up veggies for example (I'm slow with the knife; perhaps this more expensive scale is the tax on my lack of skill!).

I also used the ozeri model mentioned earlier. It worked fine, but would shut off after two minutes. If needing more time to do multiple tares doesn't matter to you, it is a great value.
  • moltobella
    moltobella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have this one. I love that I can take the glass off to clean.

Ozeri The Epicurean LED Kitchen Scale with Removable Glass Weighing Platform, 18-Pound, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005WLPVUG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_YHRvvb0N5XFYJ
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

What is a tare option?

This type