Do you ever want to want to eat something "bad"?

Options
NiqueKristan
NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Going through the "wanting to want cookies".... And other junk. Not hungry, eating healthy and I'm not craving anything, but I want to want something bad! Why? :(

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're restricting yourself too much, that can lead to you craving and then going overboard. It's best not to think of foods as "good" or "bad" and work a small treat into your calories as you can allow.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "bad" food. If you want a cookie and have calories left over, go for it.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you're restricting yourself too much, that can lead to you craving and then going overboard. It's best not to think of foods as "good" or "bad" and work a small treat into your calories as you can allow.

+1
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I wanted some ice cream today, yesterday, thursday, and wednesday so I made some fit into my calories.

I'd be miserable if I completely cut my sweets out of my life so I don't.
  • NiqueKristan
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    No such thing as "bad" food. If you want a cookie and have calories left over, go for it.
    I'm not depriving myself, and if I wanted a cookie, I'd have one. I WANT to want one , as odd as that sounds.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I think all food is good! Except oatmeal and kale (and not not together).. everything else welcome.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    See, when someone says "do you want to do something bad" on a Saturday night I tend to think it's about something other than eating a cookie.
    Which isn't bad at all.

Yeah, this thread is not at all what I was expecting.... :p
  • NiqueKristan
    Options
    See, when someone says "do you want to do something bad" on a Saturday night I tend to think it's about something other than eating a cookie.
    Which isn't bad at all.

LOL
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    ^^ This.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I think all food is good! Except oatmeal and kale (and not not together).. everything else welcome.
    What, no oatmeal-kale pancake for you? :smile:
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I'm not depriving myself, and if I wanted a cookie, I'd have one. I WANT to want one , as odd as that sounds.
    I guess I feel this whenever something brings over food I don't like, such as Whataburger.

edit: I just thought of a good example- Thanksgiving. I hate Thanksgiving turkey, I hate cranberry sauce (cranberries in general tbh), and I hate pecan pie.

I wish I enjoyed them just because there's so much of it during the holiday.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    if you're just "wanting to want something", that's all emotional, imho (which I totally get!!)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna encourage you to redefine "bad."

Bad could be a food that causes issues - has a negative effect on your health in some way.

Bad could also be a food that you have trouble eating a reasonable portion of. For me, that's Pringles or Milano cookies. I will inhale a tube of Pringles with barely a thought. I can eat the bag of Milanos in the same way. So they're not foods I bring in my house (though I have recently picked up single-serve packs of Pringles, since I can tell myself "just one pack" and stick to that).

Having a cookie or ice cream or pizza isn't bad. Eating nothing but those things could be.

If you have the calories for the cookie, eat the cookie! Enjoy it. Make sure it's something you find tasty :)

~Lyssa
  • ObiWanJacoby_
    ObiWanJacoby_ Posts: 56 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    How long have you been dieting for and how much weight have you lost? When you diet for a extended period of time your bodies metabolism will slow down as it believes it's beginning to go into starvation mode. It no longer burns as many calories at rest than it did before. So introducing a re-feed day is common and recommend if you've lost a lot of weight, or having been dieting for a extended period of time. This causes us to have a heightened want and extreme cravings for food. So giving your body more carbs one day will help your body realize that what you're doing on is in fact on purpose and not because you are starving.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't understand wanting to want something. I either want it or I don't.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Food is not good or bad. You need to get over that mentality. I eat no processed foods, sweets or salty foods. After the first week, I've never wanted them again (over 3 years now). When I did taste them, they tasted terrible.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't understand wanting to want something. I either want it or I don't.

this^