Omnivore vs. Vegan / Vegetarian / Nutritarian

Options
bexita617
bexita617 Posts: 17 Member
I just watched Food, Inc and I'm in the process of reading "Eat to Live" and I'm seriously considering becoming a vegetarian (or Nutritarian, as the book labels it). Has anyone here made that transition? What prompted you to do it & how has the change affected your health? Biggest challenges?

Anyone read the book? Thoughts?

Replies

• ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been meat-free on and off. I find it difficult at times as my partner will not turn vegetarian, definitely not vegan and we haven't got the funds to make different meals every night. I just try to eat animal products less and less; I'm finding more and more substitutes but it's a work in progress. Generally I think it's a good idea and definitely worth a try! I really started to think about it when I saw how much meat/fish is thrown away at supermarkets every day (more of an ethically decision).
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here made that transition?

Yes. I switched to a mainly vegan diet in October last Year.

What prompted you to do it & how has the change affected your health?

For me, I read Rich Roll's book (he's a vegan ultra athlete) which pretty much changed my life overnight. That in itself is unusual for me as someone who is naturally very sceptical.
    I made the change because whatever I'd tried before now simply wasn't working consistently so thought it was worth a shot.
    By going vegan, it would also deny me my nemesis foods, greasy meats and cheese.
    Before all the arm-waving starts, I know that the consensus on here is that you shouldn't deny yourself anything. But, for me, that simply wasn't working.

Health changes:

1) I definitely have more energy. That was the one, big, noticeable change that was fairly rapid.
    2) I haven't got a cold or Winter bug since switching.
    3) I'm far more aware of nutrients in food and the importance of proper fuelling.
    4) Less of the aches and pains that I'd simply put down to getting older.

A lot of the above changes are probably more down to me now eating far more nutritious food rather than cutting out meat. But, whatever the reason, the benefits have been real.

Biggest challenges?

The learning curve really. Had I gone just vegetarian, I think it would have been a lot easier finding substitutes for meat in meals. Omitting animal products entirely takes a bit of work but I'm glad I learned how to do it as it now gives me options.
    Also, peoples attitudes! I encountered a fair bit of negativity from friends and colleagues which surprised me. But, as it's no-ones business but mine, it doesn't bother me personally.

Where I am now:

I'm not in any particular group. I'm mainly vegan, but also vegetarian, but will also eat meat and fish occasionally. I'm doing the "me" diet which doesn't fit into a pigeon hole.
    My personal thoughts are (and this is just my personal opinion, not looking to start arguments) that the problem with modern animal products is that they're so far removed now from how they would have been. Genetically engineered to yield massive gains from the least input, I don't believe that modern animal products are a particularly great way to live.
    If I had access to natural, wild meat, I doubt I would have tried to remove it from my diet.
    There is also the ethical argument, although I must admit I do it purely for selfish reasons.

Anyway, sorry, that's a lot of waffle that mostly isn't that relevant to you!
    But, long story short, this previous self-confirmed carnivore who previously regarded veg as just "something that food eats" wouldn't now go back to an omnivorous diet.
  • CM_73
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Duplicate post.
  • CM_73
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Duplicate number 2...
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Vegan here. I did make the jump five years ago after seeing a PETA booth at a gay pride festival, and being a fifteen year old girl who loved her animals, I went vegetarian cold tofurky that day. About a year ago I went full tilt vegan, and couldn't be happier about it. For me, it's all ethical. I don't want to eat animals or animal products (and at this point, they taste so gross to me) so I simply don't. I do want to let you know that being vegan DOES NOT mean that you are healthy. Oreos, fritos, french fries, fake vegan cheese, fake meat, and fake ice cream are all vegan. Now, nothing wrong with those things, but when I first switched, I would literally eat nothing but grilled cheese sandwichs, chips and soda. I think I went three years without ever eating a single vegetable (Excluding potatoes) I also reached my highest weight as a vegetarian.

Now, as for health reasons, you can be a healthy vegan, vegetarian, or omnivore. Be aware that the biggest piece of evidence for a vegan diet, The China Study, has been largely debunked. So do some research about health benefits of a vegan diet, and look close, because some of it is now outdated. As for my health changes, mine have been HUGE. I have a disease called Endometrisos, which is female reproductive disorder that causes severe pain during my period and randomly as well. Since cutting out animals products my symptoms have improved so much! I have more energy, less pain, I'm not as moody or as sore as I used to be. So for me and my specific situation, it has helped tremendously. My suggestion is to try it for a month, see if you like it, and if you do, stick with it. Best of luck!

Also, here is a group devoted to Veg-heads that can totally help with any veggie specific questions you may have!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like being an omnivore...
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    thank you for the community link yogi323.... I just joined!!
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Omnivore and glad of it.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    As an omnivore you can eat everything vegans, vegetarians, nutritarians eat. And then some. Or not. The only thing you don't get is a special label that lets you declare to your friends that you can't eat this or that because you've self identified with a label that doesn't allow this or that.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    jddnw wrote: »
    As an omnivore you can eat everything vegans, vegetarians, nutritarians eat. And then some. Or not. The only thing you don't get is a special label that lets you declare to your friends that you can't eat this or that because you've self identified with a label that doesn't allow this or that.

And that is so different as coming to a weight loss forum and loudly declaring your omnivore status. So so different. Pot. Kettle.

Why is that the same thing? The point of being an omnivore is that you can eat pretty much anything put in front of you, as long as it's not generally harmful to human life--and I'd add the restriction that you like it and are not sensitive or allergic to it. What makes being on a weight loss forum so special, when vegans declare their special snowflake status wherever, whenever they are around others who have the ability to comprehend them. The nice thing about being an omnivore is that it represents the majority--so eating as an omnivore does not need any special status or whatever--omnivores are just people eating, the way nature meant people to eat.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I never said I was an omnivore (although I am). It is completely not the same thing. A vegan can't walk into a room without announcing his or her vegan-ness. If they are in the room with a bunch of vegans, they need to compare vegan credentials. When omnivores get together, they eat. That's pretty much it.

Anyway, if someone is posting a thread asking about different ways of eating, then it's natural to respond with personal experience--in my case omnivorous eating. It doesn't mean anyone is announcing anything--they are simply staying on topic. There is nothing special about a vegan diet, with the exception of the sense of entitlement it confers upon the eater, at least in the case of the "ethical" vegan or if you believe that it is a form of orthorexia. It is just as bad or just as good as any other way of eating with just as many obese people as any other way of eating. If you don't like that people respond to threads entitled "omnivore vs. vegan, etc." with an omnivore's perspective, don't read them.
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I never said I was an omnivore (although I am). It is completely not the same thing. A vegan can't walk into a room without announcing his or her vegan-ness. If they are in the room with a bunch of vegans, they need to compare vegan credentials. When omnivores get together, they eat. That's pretty much it.

Anyway, if someone is posting a thread asking about different ways of eating, then it's natural to respond with personal experience--in my case omnivorous eating. It doesn't mean anyone is announcing anything--they are simply staying on topic. There is nothing special about a vegan diet, with the exception of the sense of entitlement it confers upon the eater, at least in the case of the "ethical" vegan or if you believe that it is a form of orthorexia. It is just as bad or just as good as any other way of eating with just as many obese people as any other way of eating. If you don't like that people respond to threads entitled "omnivore vs. vegan, etc." with an omnivore's perspective, don't read them.

Woah there buddy. I find that a bit offensive, to say the least. Not everyone announces their "vegan-ness" thank you very much. I think at my work, maybe two of my coworkers (out of fifty) know that I'm vegan. And that's because they are close friends and I thought it might be helpful if they knew that I don't eat meat. I don't feel a sense of entitlement with my diet. I don't like meat, so I don't eat it. I don't want to eat dead animals, (since you brought ethics into this) so I don't. That doesn't mean I feel better than anybody, or that I look down on someone for what they eat. Frankly, that's silly. It's pretty darn simple.

I don't announce my vegan-ness for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I don't announce it because A. Most of the time it's irrelevant (exceptions being when I'm meeting someone for dinner, going to a family gathering, ect.) and B. because a lot of people have their own notions about what I have to be because of what I eat. I understand that the loudest vegan (I.e. PETA) tend to leave a sour impression in most peoples mind when they think of vegans, but please, don't judge everybody based on a small minority. That isn't very nice.

Also, OP, you are very welcome for the link!
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options

And that is so different as coming to a weight loss forum and loudly declaring your omnivore status. So so different. Pot. Kettle.

Why is that the same thing? The point of being an omnivore is that you can eat pretty much anything put in front of you, as long as it's not generally harmful to human life--and I'd add the restriction that you like it and are not sensitive or allergic to it. What makes being on a weight loss forum so special, when vegans declare their special snowflake status wherever, whenever they are around others who have the ability to comprehend them. The nice thing about being an omnivore is that it represents the majority--so eating as an omnivore does not need any special status or whatever--omnivores are just people eating, the way nature meant people to eat.

oh for god's bloody sake RMFE.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm not sure who you are hanging out with, but there are many vegans who don't bring it up unless it is relevant to the conversation. Many of my co-workers don't even know that I'm vegan.

I really don't see the difference between the behavior you're describing from vegans and your inability to avoid talking about how much you don't like vegans whenever there is a thread about veganism.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Well I've never called myself an omnivore even though I guess I am. But I love food. All food. I announce my love of food every day. It's pretty much what I talk about the most. 2 months ago when I purchased ham at 89 dollars a lb I told the entire world. I guess I'm an omnivore outcast.

Was it Iberico ham or something? I saw a ham that expensive recently and I wondered if it could possibly taste that good. Was it worth it?