2 hours of workout straight. Good or bad?

Options
Because I am super obssessed and first day of school is in a month. I am exercising both cardio & strength(toning muscles) (jillian michaels workout videos & others mix) in 2 hours straight(in the morning) but with rest time of 5 mins each workout. Is it just okay? Or super bad?

I'm eating 5-6 small meals a day because it's getting me really hungry throughout the day. Need your thoughts and experiences. - obssessed 21y/o(5"1) girl here. Thank you so much!

P.S. Super hate my fat thighs & muffin top!!!! >.< :((((((

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Sounds unnecessary but I can't say whether it's good or bad. For weight loss, focus on your diet and staying in your calorie deficit. You can do the amount of exercise you enjoy, or enough to allow you to eat a bit more if you like.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Depends on the person and the goals. I average 2.5 hours per lifting session, 4x a week. Up to 3 hours each. Not a big deal for me but I wouldn't recommend that for a beginner. Same for an experienced endurance runner, a couple hours at a go would be part of a normal (longer) run. I can definitely see a cardio + lifting workout taking 2 hours too.

Play it by ear and see how you respond and how you feel long-term.
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I do 2 hour weightlifting 3x week. As long as you listen to your body and know when to back it down you should be fine.
  • 1nspiredgirl
    1nspiredgirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm planning to do this everyday. I don't feel so much hurt anyway so I guess I can do it or maybe take 1 day rest. I do feel very hungry though until midnight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Seems like overkill to me.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You said "obsessed" twice in your first post. Now, in general, I see no reason to limit healthy activity. At my fittest, I did 2-4 hours of activity a day (varying intensity), but I did it because I enjoyed it. I had no goals I was obsessed over; it was just what I did for fun. I also properly fueled my body for that activity.

Think about whether or not you're setting yourself up for injury (if you're doing the same routine daily, it sounds like you might be), and whether or not you've created too large of a calorie deficit to get the energy and nutrients you need. In the end, only you can decide if it's too much activity and/or too little food. Be kind to yourself.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a bit much, but listen to your body and shorten your workouts and take rest as needed.

Try and be more patient too. Fat loss takes time. Plus with the added stress of the long workouts and being "obsessed" you are probably increasing the release of cortisol (stress hormone) which in turns reduces fat burning.

Sometimes my workouts might add up to an hour and a half (30 mins. lifting and a 4 - 5 mile brisk walk - sometimes back to back other times split AM and PM workouts), but I enjoy it.

Are you eating enough to fuel these workouts? Not in frequency, but substance?

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm planning to do this everyday. I don't feel so much hurt anyway so I guess I can do it or maybe take 1 day rest. I do feel very hungry though until midnight.

What are your objectives?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like you're trying to do this much to create as large as a deficit as possible. Probably not the healthiest thing to do.

Right now, I easily spend two hours six days a week training, but I've built up to this level over years, I don't always spend this long training (I'm in peaking cycle right now), I eat at maintenance, and of that two hours, 30 minutes MIGHT be actual work sets.
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Please keep in mind you don't need to go all gungho balls to the wall to lose weight or get healthy/fit. You can do it just as easily with less exercise and just maintaining a calorie deficit.

If you truly enjoy activity, then go for it, but make sure you properly fuel yourself. Don't leave yourself open to injury or burn out by doing too much.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Context determines if a long workout is good or bad. Your word choices here and in your profile ("obsessed" ... "super hate my") throw a few red flags.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    The most I'll do is 45 minutes to an hour of weights followed by 30 minutes of cardio. I don't do that often, and I usually feel drained for the rest of the day instead of energized like I would feel if I just did one of the two. Listen to your body, if you don't have energy for the rest of the day following whatever workout you're doing, then you're probably overdoing it.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss is going to be accomplished by what you eat and staying within a calorie deficit.

And the sad thing is, there's really no way to speed that up. Long workouts aren't going to widen your calorie deficit so much that you make huge gains in the weight loss department.

A lb. a week is normal, safe, effective and there's no time warp for it.

Do exercise you enjoy.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    20 year olds have tons of energy. I think it is okay if you are enjoying and fueling (eat when you are hungry and stay hydrated) your workouts. I would break up any cardio into higher intensity short sessions. Just maintain your rest periods and listen to your body.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Because I am super obssessed and first day of school is in a month. I am exercising both cardio & strength(toning muscles) (jillian michaels workout videos & others mix) in 2 hours straight(in the morning) but with rest time of 5 mins each workout. Is it just okay? Or super bad?

I'm eating 5-6 small meals a day because it's getting me really hungry throughout the day. Need your thoughts and experiences. - obssessed 21y/o(5"1) girl here. Thank you so much!

It seems like overkill to me. I checked out your profile, and you're doing an awful lot-- with a focus on weight loss-- for someone who's starting weight was 115. Your goal of 90 lbs seems dangerously low, in my opinion. I doubt you have fat thighs or a muffin top, considering your height and weight. If you really enjoy working out for that long every day, make sure you're eating enough protein, carbs and fat to maintain your health, or you'll be in a dangerous situation.
  • gypsy_nurse
    gypsy_nurse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse who works with eating disorder kids and this type of behavior (and choice of words) is what I see all the time, unfortunately. This is definitely not behavior I would condone, especially if you are wanting to do this every day.
  • Ninkyou
    Options

It seems like overkill to me. I checked out your profile, and you're doing an awful lot-- with a focus on weight loss-- for someone who's starting weight was 115. Your goal of 90 lbs seems dangerously low, in my opinion. I doubt you have fat thighs or a muffin top, considering your height and weight. If you really enjoy working out for that long every day, make sure you're eating enough protein, carbs and fat to maintain your health, or you'll be in a dangerous situation.

Man, I didn't even see that.

At 5'1 your goal should be to go no lower than 100 lbs. 90 lbs is too little and unhealthy.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Context determines if a long workout is good or bad. Your word choices here and in your profile ("obsessed" ... "super hate my") throw a few red flags.

This.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Fine but: if I do that more than once or twice a week, I get sick or burn out.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've worked out that long before, but not everyday. I think our bodies have a way of telling us how much is too much. The key thing is to make sure you listen.
This discussion has been closed.