Bar code on the phone app!

Options
Sooooo cool, just saw the bar code in the corner on my iphone when entering my breakfast foods and tried it and the product nutritional info just popped up. Pretty nifty app!

Replies

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Awesome little tool I've been using it from the start makes life much easier
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    mwinnett69 wrote: »
    Sooooo cool, just saw the bar code in the corner on my iphone when entering my breakfast foods and tried it and the product nutritional info just popped up. Pretty nifty app!
    Just make sure that when you scan a barcode for an item that you verify that the nutritional information is correct, because the nutritional information is entered by MFP users from the Nutrition Facts on the packaging label and could contain incorrect information. If you find incorrect information, you can help contribute to the accuracy of the Food Database by editing that information.
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/391249-how-do-i-edit-or-change-the-item-found-by-a-barcode-scan-

• mwinnett69
    mwinnett69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do ty :) I have to watch extra careful for my husband cause he is on a strict sodium diet for his menieres.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Just make sure that when you scan a barcode for an item that you verify that the nutritional information is correct, because the nutritional information is entered by MFP users from the Nutrition Facts on the packaging label and could contain incorrect information. If you find incorrect information, you can help contribute to the accuracy of the Food Database by editing that information.
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/391249-how-do-i-edit-or-change-the-item-found-by-a-barcode-scan-

Truth! I found that out when I tried to scan in a box of donuts and it came up as "bakery bread - whole grain." I really would've liked that nutritional information though - it was so much better than reality. -_-
  • danishgirlagain
    danishgirlagain Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am trying to keep my sodium down. 2 slices of lean ham (Kirkland) comes up as 600 mg but the package says 430. big difference! how do I correct it?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    I am trying to keep my sodium down. 2 slices of lean ham (Kirkland) comes up as 600 mg but the package says 430. big difference! how do I correct it?

Either find an entry that matches (there may be multiples in the food database under the same name, which you can find if you type in the search rather than using the bar code), or add it via "My Foods" with the correct values.