Is a High Carb, Low Fat Diet Better Than High Fat, Low Carb?

Options

Replies

• lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    cld111 wrote: »
    There is a lot of scientific support out there for a high-carb, low-fat, whole-food, plant-based diet. (Say that 10 times fast!) People on this board seem to love protein and fat, and I can understand why they rail against Freelee, but please check out these Doctors for more support of the HCLF way: Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Campbell, Dr. McDougall, Dr. Klaper, Dr. Barnard and Dr. Greger.

These are all medical doctors who have either PROVEN to reverse heart disease, diabetes and other ailments, or in the case of Dr. Greger, review peer-reviewed scientific studies and create short videos about them to inform the public.

Sorry, but I haven't seen any Paleo Doctor who's reversed heart disease and diabetes. I haven't even seen one who's been willing to put up their bloodwork for us to see.

Also, plants are good for us. Period.

With that said, it's also a good idea to count your calories.

I totally agree with this ^^^
    I am a type 1 diabetic and have been following a hclf plant based diet now also breakfast and lunch raw with a cooked eve meal for 3 months and I'm loving it!! I'm eating way more than I did before and losing weight steadily....I have loads of energy (which helps running around after my kids!!)....I'm also a runner and my runs are a lot easier now.
    My diabetes is controlled a lot better now although I did have to adjust my insulin regime when I started but now I'm doing a lot less insulin than before and it's a lot more stable.
    I also agree freelee is extreme but I love her!!! And who wouldn't want to look like that lets be honest!! There is a lot of actual evidence as mentioned above which really supports this lifestyle.....I love being able to eat in abundance and for the first time in years I'm enjoying food again and not counting calories!!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I don't like Freelee, she believes that anyone who consumes animal products don't deserve to live. Yes, it's on her youtube channel.

OP, just pick one and try for a while. Personally, I find that carbs are not filling and are a binge trigger for me. This isn't the case for everyone. So I try and limit my carbs and fill up on healthy fats and protein to keep me full and keep my lean body mass. What I prefer might not work for you. Humans have evolved to consume -literally- 99% of what is found in nature. Whale blubbler, bird nests, chicken feet, dandelions, etc. Vegetables are always awesome, whatever you choose, vegetables always have a good nutrient to calorie ratio.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There is nothing legit about Banana Girl. There is a lot of legit behind HFLC, particularly if you have certain medical/metabolic issues. That said, you can't just eat whatever you want...an energy deficit is still required to lose weight. Also, low carbing isn't necessary to lose weight...it's simply a means to an end.

Well put.

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I must have missed the part in the OP where she has heart disease. I mean, it keeps getting mentioned in this thread, so it must be relevant...
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I sent you a personal message with my experiences. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Diets composed mostly or entirely of fruit are dangerous and associated with pancreatic cancer--too much fructose. Steve Jobs was a fruitarian for many years--named his company after his favorite fruit, Apple Inc.---and died of pancreatic cancer. Drinking lots of soda pop is also associated with pancreatic cancer--again, high fructose intake from the high fructose corn syrup with which it is sweetened.

Very high fructose consumption is probably as hard on the body as is consuming lots of alcohol. Actually, both are assimilated in very similar ways and even if you don't get pancreatic cancer, you could get NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) or Type II diabetes, if you are susceptible. Table sugar (sucrose) is 50% fructose and represents the single largest exposure to fructose in the standard diet. A couple of normal servings of fruit per day are just fine, but there are a lot of people who simply cannot deal with the high amount of fructose in a modern processed food diet.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It doesn't matter - You do have to throw away everything you think you know about dieting, every fad, book, personality endorsed marketed rubbish

It's about CICO

and from there it just depends what you can stick to in order to consume fewer calories than you burn

with the exception of certain medical conditions, in which case you should take a registered dietician's advice and not make up your own rules

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Don't overwhelm yourself with details. You tried Keto, you tried raw vegan, now try simply logging your food without rules other than eating the calories allotted to you by MFP. When you've tried it for a couple of weeks think about your experiences. Which diet was easiest for you to follow and caused you the least stress? Take that and follow it. All the different diets are just different routes to the same goal, that is eating less calories. There is no one diet that is ultimately better than another. There is, however, a diet that is better for you. It's the diet you are most likely to stick to.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Also, plants are good for us. Period.

With that said, it's also a good idea to count your calories.

I totally agree. It is possible to do that while eating a diet that is lower or moderate in carbohydrates and moderate in fat. The key is to minimize fruits and grains while eating lots of other vegetables.

OP, you can't treat your own thyroid issues. You need to be seen by a qualified endocrinologist. Untreated thyroid disease can lead to all kinds of very bad stuff, including psychosis. Get it treated.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Month old post, OP isn't even logging anymore, why is this getting bumped?
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I've been paleo (ish) for over 4 years and it really helps with my IBS. (It kinda goes out of the window during PMS though). I was vegetarian before decidign to go paleo. I don't think paleo is really compatable with vegetarianism, in my experience.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I just have to chime in here. . .I know for a fact (have several co-workers who go there) that the biggest, fanciest, most popular weight loss clinic that is attached to a hospital in my medium sized city is staffed with dietitians who mostly put people on a moderate keto diet to lose weight. So if you're really opposed to it as a diet, you might not want to send folks running to the medical profession.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It doesn't matter - You do have to throw away everything you think you know about dieting, every fad, book, personality endorsed marketed rubbish

It's about CICO

and from there it just depends what you can stick to in order to consume fewer calories than you burn

with the exception of certain medical conditions, in which case you should take a registered dietician's advice and not make up your own rules

Agreed, unless you have a specific medical condition you have to eat around, there is no need to skew your marcos towards a particular direction.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    What's a girl supposed to do? I'm 19 years old. I have a goiter and I'm on the borderline for hypothyroidism. I have to take a steroid inhaler for my tracheal disease before doing any exercise harder than a walk. My birth control causes me to retain a lot of water. Both diets claim I can do away with these problems for good but I can't tell which one works and I'm terrified of trying it only to further damage my body.

Does anyone have any experience, success stories, or advice?

Oh my. Please think about this rationally. Who is better equipped to answer your questions. Strangers on the internet, or the physicians who are familiar with your specific medical conditions.

Talk to your doctors!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    What's a girl supposed to do? I'm 19 years old. I have a goiter and I'm on the borderline for hypothyroidism. I have to take a steroid inhaler for my tracheal disease before doing any exercise harder than a walk. My birth control causes me to retain a lot of water. Both diets claim I can do away with these problems for good but I can't tell which one works and I'm terrified of trying it only to further damage my body.

Does anyone have any experience, success stories, or advice?

Oh my. Please think about this rationally. Who is better equipped to answer your questions. Strangers on the internet, or the physicians who are familiar with your specific medical conditions.

Talk to your doctors!

THIS ^ ^ ^

Most doctors will put their patients on a well balanced diet, tweaked for their specific health condition. Very few will put their patients on anything extreme, unless it is necessary and then they will monitor it closely.

My example: I was diagnosed T2 diabetic in Jan 2014. My doctor put me on a reduced carb diet (no more than 180 g daily) and let me decide on the rest, but I had to report back to her in our every three months follow-up visits (I printed out the MFP reports for calories, carbs, protein, and fat for the previous 90 days for her to look at). My a1c was back into normal range and I was off the meds in less than a year.

• s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    As most people here have correctly stated - A reasonable, moderate diet of all macronutrients is not only best for you but its also sustainable which is a HUGE part of keeping your fitness level and weight goals in-tact. Im sorry but Keto, Paleo, Atkins, North beach, Sout Beach, west peninsula, blah, blah diets are all so obnoxious that I cant stand hearing about it anymore. The word "diet" implies something is temporary anyways and fitness shouldnt be temporary it should be forever.

Eat some carbs, eat some fats, and eat some protein. Workout regularly and vigorously. You'll be fine. ;)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of scientific support out there for a high-carb, low-fat, whole-food, plant-based diet. (Say that 10 times fast!) People on this board seem to love protein and fat, and I can understand why they rail against Freelee, but please check out these Doctors for more support of the HCLF way: Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Campbell, Dr. McDougall, Dr. Klaper, Dr. Barnard and Dr. Greger.

These are all medical doctors who have either PROVEN to reverse heart disease, diabetes and other ailments, or in the case of Dr. Greger, review peer-reviewed scientific studies and create short videos about them to inform the public.

Sorry but that's BS. McDougall's name is synonymous with "unfounded claims based on horrible epidemiology." The diet they recommend is effective for weight loss because it's incredibly restrictive. It's based on plants so it's also pretty healthy; I'll give them that.

However, you don't have to eat so restrictively to reap the benefits of eating plants. And your body composition will be a heck of a lot better if you eat more protein then they recommend. And oh yeah, their diet requires B12 supplementation . . . sounds pretty natural . . .

• kamber13
    kamber13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if others have already said this but I eat a low fat-low carb diet while maintaining a calorie deficit. I find I can eat a lot of food and still lose weight.