What else can I reward myself with?

Options
As is everyone, I am short on time, so food is a thing that I can "reward" myself with in the moment that is quick, satisfying and comforting (fast forward 10 minutes after eating and I feel like a bloated hopeless pig!). I use food when I'm stressed, when something good has happened, etc. I'm tired of using food, but need ideas to help me out as this is a big problem for me!

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The feeling of having done something well or accomplished something should be reward enough. As for stress. Talking to a good friend, working out, doing something physical and strenuous are great outlets for stress. Eating only adds to your stress when you then feel bad about eating and your weight. If you don't have time, make time. Most people who say they don't have time actually do.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    For me, the ultimate reward is new socks. I just love them... weird, I know. But... you gotta know what little things you love and socks that have never been washed, I just love them. Other good things: use great smelling lotion only when you "need" a reward, nail polish, flowers, burn a great smelling candle, also... I don't drink soda hardly ever... so a BIG reward for me is a diet rootbeer! Or diet gingerale!!!!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    BOOZE!

Or, I don't know, shoes or something
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    As is everyone, I am short on time, so food is a thing that I can "reward" myself with in the moment that is quick, satisfying and comforting (fast forward 10 minutes after eating and I feel like a bloated hopeless pig!). I use food when I'm stressed, when something good has happened, etc. I'm tired of using food, but need ideas to help me out as this is a big problem for me!

Why do you need to reward yourself?

• Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How about giving yourself 10 minutes to sit somewhere quiet with no distractions, maybe put on your favourite music and just zone out, or better yet, meditate. Meditation is the best thing for stress, there are plenty of guided meditations on YouTube. Or for quick (under half an hour) things you could: have a nice bubble bath (glass of wine optional); get a quick manicure/pedicure/neck massage; telephone a good friend for a chat; chill out in a sunny spot with a cup of tea; play a game with your family; get your hair washed and dried at a salon; buy some new workout clothes; buy a charm bracelet and add a charm each time you reach a goal; if you have kids ask your spouse/parents/friends to babysit for a night and do something for you :-)
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're rewarding yourself for, with and how frequently! I know some people say you should only think about food as fuel but I still reward myself but you've got to make sure it fits in your calories for the day. If it's a hot day or I'm at the beach or park go for an ice lolly instead of an ice cream. Have one biscuit not an entire packet. If you can't handle that just stop buying it.
    If it's celebratory meals just make the right decisions or adjust the rest of your day to stay on track. And exercise.
    What's your living arrangement like? I'm way less likely to snack and forage if my husband's home as I'm embarrassed about being a pig. If we're sharing a bag of popcorn with the kids I'll weigh it out into bowls so I know how much I'm having (less arguing from the kids about sharing too).
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    massage
    new workout clothes
    trip to the sauna
    new shoes
  • breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It sounds like you're using food as a way to deal with various emotions. Overcoming this usually means replacing this destructive habit with one that is more constructive. The hard part is finding something that actually does make you feel better as much as eating your comfort foods does. It might take some time trying different things to figure this out. Personally, I find keeping a box with fruity hand creams, incense, special bath bubbles, meditation cds.. (basically anything you find pleasurable) can be helpful. The links I'm about to post are actually intended for people with BPD as self-soothing techiques but might be useful for you.

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/self-sooth.html
    http://healthofmind.tumblr.com/post/22571448384/self-soothing-sensory-kit

ALSO. Maybe TMI but another way to reward yourself is with an orgasm- enlist a partner or chill out in the bath or wherever with an erotic novel and a toy ;)
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Isn't losing weight and feeling healthier reward enough? I find it strange that people need a 'reward' to improve their health
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    89nunu wrote: »
    massage

This, especially the day after a hard workout when you're sore.

Also, reward yourself with food all you want. Just keep apples and bananas on hand. Also, strawberries with some light whipped cream are yum!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    What do you need to reward yourself for? If you continue in the way you have in the past you will continue to be the same person (probably fat) that you have been. If I were you, I'd think the reward for deciding to get healthy would be enough.
  • XXcookiepussXX
    XXcookiepussXX Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you're coming from! My newest splurge when I want a treat is a flavored seltzer water. Polar makes seasonal offerings. I just had a "Mai tai" flavored water yesterday!
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    An art or pottery class id's a good reward.
    Oh, or a good book in a quiet place outside like a park or field. It depends on what you're into.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

That is a mental/emotional change you need to work on. Those are the hardest habits to break, but also the ones that can really make the difference in a healthy lifestyle. I still struggle with it myself, but I find in moments I start getting that feeling to eat to feel rewarded, I do simple work tasks - do the dishes, work in the yard, or other accomplishment. That compensates for me. Odd, I know.

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for a reward for meeting a goal? Or are you looking for something to turn to for comfort instead of food?

If you're looking for substitutes to comfort food, a hot bath always works for me.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Some things I use for comfort instead of food:
    • Go for a walk, a run or a bike ride
    • Call one of my good friends and laugh a while, or have a good cry, whatever the situation calls for
    • Watch a cheesy movie or guilty pleasure TV show
    • Put a record on the turntable and sit and listen to it for a while
    • Curl up with a good book
    • Make myself a hot mug of tea
    • Go outside to the park on a nice day and people-watch
    • Go see a comedy show
    • Retail therapy (if I can afford it) -- in my case it's usually shoes
    • And the biggie: TRAVEL!!! If I can go, that's the best balm. If I can't, due to lack of funds or time, sometimes if I'm really stressed, I'll plan imaginary trips. Yep, I'm weird, but it works.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Laying on the couch with a heating pad on my back (I work at a computer all day) with my tea, ebook and headphones in, while watching my hubby clean the kitchen. Works every time!
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I really believe that words have power....I'm trying to change some of my language when it comes to food.
    "Treat" no longer means something edible.
    A treat is a professional massage, a pedicure, new shoes, a good book......I adore (hoard) new kitchen gadgets, a treat is browsing the kitchen section in a good store and buying colorful measuring spoons or a fancy tea towel.
    Weird, huh?
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    So I used to be really, really bad about rewarding myself with food. I still do it sometimes (bubble tea!), but lately I have gotten back into reading and am using books and even online clothes shopping as some reward methods :)

The books are particularly enjoyable and relaxing! I like reading em in a hot bath or out in the park on a sunny day.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I missed the short on time. Maybe an audiobook. You can listen whenever you do other things (like driving, working out, chores, etc.)