Any RNs or pharmacists on right now?

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
Hypothetically, how dangerous would it be for someone to take more than the max daily dose of ibuprofen for an extremely short period of time?

Just for 1-2 days - e.g. 400 mg every 3-4 hours, with food. (Say the person weighs 138 lbs.)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There's a maximum dose for a reason....
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i know. But it's not unheard of for patients in hospitals to take more if it's very bad pain. The safety standards are still significantly under the real (or more likely) limits.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I take 800mg in one shot. Another 8 hours later if I need it.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    if you (they?) are in enough pain to warrant this then perhaps a trip to the doctor would help?

That way you could receive more effective painkillers without potentially giving yourself stomach issues etc.

Beyond that, people can't really advise on here as no one knows your (their?) medical history. Whilst it's an over-the-counter med, it still has interactions.

• tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wow, ok. (re @_dracarys_ )

Here, it's saying 3200 mg daily taken orally is not going to kill a person with RA or OA, for example.

• tomatoey
    Options
    if you (they?) are in enough pain to warrant this then perhaps a trip to the doctor would help?

That way you could receive more effective painkillers without potentially giving yourself stomach issues etc.

I'm sure you're right, but hypothetically, it's silly o'clock in the morning and an ER trip is not ideal for this hypothetical situation.
    Beyond that, people can't really advise on her as no one knows your (their?) medical history. Whilst it's and over-the-counter med, it still has interactions
    True, good point.

Thanks all
  • MonsoonStorm
    Options
    well, when I've been in migraine territory with nothing stronger available and no alternative, I've taken 800-1000 within an hour or two. But then when I'm in the middle of a full blown migraine the long term (or even short-term) implications to my health are completely irrelevant to me.

But then I know from experience my tolerance and how I react to it. I know my medical history, I know my current meds. Thankfully my migraines are also infrequent.

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    i know. But it's not unheard of for patients in hospitals to take more if it's very bad pain. The safety standards are still significantly under the real (or more likely) limits.
    That's because they are in hospital monitored by Doctors who know their medical history. Taking medical advice from random people you don't know on the internet is not advisable speak to a proper health professional
  • tomatoey
    Options
    well, when I've been in migraine territory with nothing stronger available and no alternative, I've taken 800-1000 within an hour or two. But then when I'm in the middle of a full blown migraine the long term (or even short-term) implications to my health are completely irrelevant to me.

But then I know from experience my tolerance and how I react to it. I know my medical history, I know my current meds. Thankfully my migraines are also infrequent.

Sorry to hear you've had to deal with that, sounds miserable :(

In this case it's obnoxious dysmenorrhea with PCOS. Last time I let the pain (and contractions, probably, or rupturing cyst or whatever the hell it was) get bad (because i was waiting out times) I did actually have to go to the ER, which took me an hour because i couldn't walk down the stairs and was vomiting from pain etc. it's not that bad right now but i can feel it going in that direction.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    That's because they are in hospital monitored by Doctors who know their medical history. Taking medical advice from random people you don't know on the internet is not advisable speak to a proper health professional

cheers
  • MonsoonStorm
    Options
    If it is that bad it may be worth talking to your doctor and seeing if they will give you something stronger, perhaps codeine based, to have on hand. They shouldn't have a problem with that if it's only for one day a month.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hypothetically, I have taken far more than the recommended dose on more than one occasion where I have the start of a migraine. If I don't knock it on the head during the 'losing vision and control of the right side of my body' phase, I'm stuck with a dark, silent room and vomiting for 2-3 days. However, as monsoon said, I know my tolerances etc. and wouldn't presume to advise.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    If it is that bad it may be worth talking to your doctor and seeing if they will give you something stronger, perhaps codeine based, to have on hand. They shouldn't have a problem with that if it's only for one day a month.

A different med may be worth pursuing... A previous doctor once gave me ketorolac (still an nsaid i believe), which worked like magic, but my current doc will only give me naproxen, which for whatever reason doesn't seem to work at all. She's not so much a listener. Reason #248347500 I need a new doctor :/

Thanks for your patience and thoughts :)

Pu_239 wrote: »
    Ibprofein is a chemical obviously, all chemicals have a safety data sheet.

Ibuprofen: ORAL (LD50): Acute: 636 mg/kg [Rat]. 740 mg/kg [Mouse]. 495 mg/kg
    [Guinea pig]
    http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924344

LD50 means it kills 50% of the population with that dosage.

Thank you! So, I'm a 62.6 kg human. I should be fine :)
  • louise3uk
    louise3uk Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here is an image from the British national formulary which we use to calculate patients dosages. Although I would not advise taking more than the recommended dose on the box without seeking professional help

7zrhkw8qb1va.jpg
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    What does this have to do with "General Diet and Weight Loss and Help"?
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    louise3uk wrote: »
    Here is an image from the British national formulary which we use to calculate patients dosages. Although I would not advise taking more than the recommended dose on the box without seeking professional help

7zrhkw8qb1va.jpg

Thank you very much :) I appreciate you taking the time to share that.
    What does this have to do with "General Diet and Weight Loss and Help"?

affects motivation
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Hypothetically, I have taken far more than the recommended dose on more than one occasion where I have the start of a migraine. If I don't knock it on the head during the 'losing vision and control of the right side of my body' phase, I'm stuck with a dark, silent room and vomiting for 2-3 days. However, as monsoon said, I know my tolerances etc. and wouldn't presume to advise.

Ach, sorry. Thank you for sharing :) It's similar here, got to get it before a momentum starts :/
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

In this case it's obnoxious dysmenorrhea with PCOS. Last time I let the pain (and contractions, probably, or rupturing cyst or whatever the hell it was) get bad (because i was waiting out times) I did actually have to go to the ER, which took me an hour because i couldn't walk down the stairs and was vomiting from pain etc. it's not that bad right now but i can feel it going in that direction.

Try hot packs or a hot bath (with Epsom salts, if you have them) and a smaller dose of Advil. The moist heat of a rice pack can offer a lot of relief. If you don't have one, take a long, clean tube sock, fill it with rice, tie the end and microwave it for about 4 minutes.

The dose of ibuprofen that you list is certainly safer than taking a large dose of acetaminophen would be. Don't do it if you have had any alcohol today--that can increase the risk a lot.

When I was in excruciating pain with a tumor growing through my uterus, heat was the only thing that made the pain manageable at all.

Someone mentioned getting a script to have on hand for when this happens again. You probably want something like Percocet. Not matter how much Advil you take, it only does so much.

I'm not an RN or a PhamD, but I hope that you feel better soon. If not...the ER is open all night. In some ways, the middle of the night is the best time to go, if you must.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Talk to your doc about a stronger anti-inflam for those times. Sonaflam is my go-to for cysts that are making their presence felt. But if it's really bad (as in burst) I go straight for the codeine. Then curl up in a ball and cry till it knocks me out.

If I was in this hypothetical situation, I would take the extra ibuprofen. I'd also have a hot bath if I had a tub, and then curl up with a hot water bottle or wheat bag (if you don't have a wheat bag, I highly recommend making yourself one!).

And (((hugs))), cos I know how bloody awful it is.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    NSAIDs carry the risk of stomach bleeding and ulcers. Those with kidney problems and/or cardiac conditions need to be careful taking them. Do not exceed the recommended dose on the bottle unless directed by a physician.