Any RNs or pharmacists on right now?

Options
2»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    well, when I've been in migraine territory with nothing stronger available and no alternative, I've taken 800-1000 within an hour or two. But then when I'm in the middle of a full blown migraine the long term (or even short-term) implications to my health are completely irrelevant to me.

But then I know from experience my tolerance and how I react to it. I know my medical history, I know my current meds. Thankfully my migraines are also infrequent.

Sorry to hear you've had to deal with that, sounds miserable :(

In this case it's obnoxious dysmenorrhea with PCOS. Last time I let the pain (and contractions, probably, or rupturing cyst or whatever the hell it was) get bad (because i was waiting out times) I did actually have to go to the ER, which took me an hour because i couldn't walk down the stairs and was vomiting from pain etc. it's not that bad right now but i can feel it going in that direction.

Try hot packs or a hot bath (with Epsom salts, if you have them) and a smaller dose of Advil. The moist heat of a rice pack can offer a lot of relief. If you don't have one, take a long, clean tube sock, fill it with rice, tie the end and microwave it for about 4 minutes.

The dose of ibuprofen that you list is certainly safer than taking a large dose of acetaminophen would be. Don't do it if you have had any alcohol today--that can increase the risk a lot.

When I was in excruciating pain with a tumor growing through my uterus, heat was the only thing that made the pain manageable at all.

Someone mentioned getting a script to have on hand for when this happens again. You probably want something like Percocet. Not matter how much Advil you take, it only does so much.

I'm not an RN or a PhamD, but I hope that you feel better soon. If not...the ER is open all night. In some ways, the middle of the night is the best time to go, if you must.
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    well, when I've been in migraine territory with nothing stronger available and no alternative, I've taken 800-1000 within an hour or two. But then when I'm in the middle of a full blown migraine the long term (or even short-term) implications to my health are completely irrelevant to me.

But then I know from experience my tolerance and how I react to it. I know my medical history, I know my current meds. Thankfully my migraines are also infrequent.

In this case it's obnoxious dysmenorrhea with PCOS. Last time I let the pain (and contractions, probably, or rupturing cyst or whatever the hell it was) get bad (because i was waiting out times) I did actually have to go to the ER, which took me an hour because i couldn't walk down the stairs and was vomiting from pain etc. it's not that bad right now but i can feel it going in that direction.

Talk to your doc about a stronger anti-inflam for those times. Sonaflam is my go-to for cysts that are making their presence felt. But if it's really bad (as in burst) I go straight for the codeine. Then curl up in a ball and cry till it knocks me out.

If I was in this hypothetical situation, I would take the extra ibuprofen. I'd also have a hot bath if I had a tub, and then curl up with a hot water bottle or wheat bag (if you don't have a wheat bag, I highly recommend making yourself one!).

And (((hugs))), cos I know how bloody awful it is.

Thanks very much for your kind thoughts and advice, ladies, and I'm sorry you have the background to offer it :(

I took the ibuprofen, it helped. Feeling better today.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Prescription strength ibuprofen is 800 mg, and scripts were written to take 4 times a day.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I drive down to TJ for 800 mg ibuprofen and take several per day when my back acts up. Not good, but I totally overdosed myself on it for a couple of years after 'the accident' because I had to work so narcotics were out but the pain was too much to function on. But just saying that to overdue it it takes either a concerted effort to OD or a long period of overusage to damage your organs.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    800mg three times a day or 600mg four times a day is standard conservative management for many orthopedic conditions. It's recommended to take 2400 mg over a 24 hour period for 6 weeks.

And if anyone is going to argue that that somehow constitutes "medically managed," these are orthopods. They only know of 3 medications total.

And this:
    https://youtu.be/q0S5EN7-RtI
  • Magenta529
    Magenta529 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had a dr. Recently recommend this combo to me and it works almost every time! 1000 mg acetaminophen and 750 mg ibprofin. Taken at the same time, within 30-45 min I see a big difference in pain level or headache or whatever is ailing me. He said there's some kind of science chemical reaction with that combo that he wouldn't bore me with. All I care about is that it works!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    800mg three times a day or 600mg four times a day is standard conservative management for many orthopedic conditions. It's recommended to take 2400 mg over a 24 hour period for 6 weeks.

And if anyone is going to argue that that somehow constitutes "medically managed," these are orthopods. They only know of 3 medications total.

And this:

Ok THAT is hilarious!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Try hot packs or a hot bath (with Epsom salts, if you have them) and a smaller dose of Advil. The moist heat of a rice pack can offer a lot of relief. If you don't have one, take a long, clean tube sock, fill it with rice, tie the end and microwave it for about 4 minutes.

The dose of ibuprofen that you list is certainly safer than taking a large dose of acetaminophen would be. Don't do it if you have had any alcohol today--that can increase the risk a lot.

When I was in excruciating pain with a tumor growing through my uterus, heat was the only thing that made the pain manageable at all.

Someone mentioned getting a script to have on hand for when this happens again. You probably want something like Percocet. Not matter how much Advil you take, it only does so much.

I'm not an RN or a PhamD, but I hope that you feel better soon. If not...the ER is open all night. In some ways, the middle of the night is the best time to go, if you must.

Talk to your doc about a stronger anti-inflam for those times. Sonaflam is my go-to for cysts that are making their presence felt. But if it's really bad (as in burst) I go straight for the codeine. Then curl up in a ball and cry till it knocks me out.

If I was in this hypothetical situation, I would take the extra ibuprofen. I'd also have a hot bath if I had a tub, and then curl up with a hot water bottle or wheat bag (if you don't have a wheat bag, I highly recommend making yourself one!).

Thanks very much for your kind thoughts and advice, ladies, and I'm sorry you have the background to offer it :(

Glad you are feeling better :). I definitely recommend being well prepared for these events. I rarely have cysts really flare/pop (though almost always have some pain at ovulation), but you can bet I have the stuff on hand for when they do! If you have access to a sewing machine do make yourself a wheat/rice bag. The store bought ones tend to be too small, you want one that stretches right across your lower belly, including hip bones.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Glad you are feeling better :). I definitely recommend being well prepared for these events. I rarely have cysts really flare/pop (though almost always have some pain at ovulation), but you can bet I have the stuff on hand for when they do! If you have access to a sewing machine do make yourself a wheat/rice bag. The store bought ones tend to be too small, you want one that stretches right across your lower belly, including hip bones.

Aw :) Wanted also to say, thanks for the hugs, sending them back to you.

That wheat bag is such a good idea! :) Usually I use two hot water bottles, but yeah, it's kind of floppy. Then again, it's not like I'm doing a lot :/ But yours sounds neater :)
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Prescription strength ibuprofen is 800 mg, and scripts were written to take 4 times a day.
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I drive down to TJ for 800 mg ibuprofen and take several per day when my back acts up. Not good, but I totally overdosed myself on it for a couple of years after 'the accident' because I had to work so narcotics were out but the pain was too much to function on. But just saying that to overdue it it takes either a concerted effort to OD or a long period of overusage to damage your organs.

Ahaaaaa. So yes, it's maybe not ideal, but not the worst thing in the world.
    Magenta529 wrote: »
    I had a dr. Recently recommend this combo to me and it works almost every time! 1000 mg acetaminophen and 750 mg ibprofin. Taken at the same time, within 30-45 min I see a big difference in pain level or headache or whatever is ailing me. He said there's some kind of science chemical reaction with that combo that he wouldn't bore me with. All I care about is that it works!

Hunh, interesting! Thanks for sharing. Acetaminophen tends not to help that much, but it's worth looking into, for sure :)

Thanks, everyone, for being so kind.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

And this:

Ok THAT is hilarious!

Hahaha yeah it cracked me up! Lol