30 minutes in the gym - what do you do?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    On A days, I would do a 30 minute run. On B days, I would do a 5 minute warmup, then calisthenics or plyometrics.

But in reality, 30 minutes is really too short for most any effective routine. You should be looking for more an hour at the gym, otherwise, it's almost a waste.

Any time you can use for exercising is better than none, surely? I'm not sure you can define the effectiveness of a routine by whether or not it takes 60 minutes to complete.

OP if I was you, I'd alternate between weights and cardio. Weights will help you retain LBM and cardio will burn calories. Assuming I have time to go to the gym 4 times a week, I'd do half an hour on the treadmill or elliptical twice a week, and a short weights routine, making sure I warm up and cool down, on the other sessions. However like others have said, if you fit cardio into your routine somewhere else, so walking/cycling/dancing/whatever, gym time would be weights time.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    On A days, I would do a 30 minute run. On B days, I would do a 5 minute warmup, then calisthenics or plyometrics.

But in reality, 30 minutes is really too short for most any effective routine. You should be looking for more an hour at the gym, otherwise, it's almost a waste.

Post was ok until the end.

Workout can be a waste due to duration of workout. You sure?
  • stacek4
    stacek4 Posts: 30 Member
    edited May 2015

Disagree. If you're short on time, up your intensity whether it's weights or cardio.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'd alternate one day cardio, one day lifting.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

disagree with that - compound lifts

20 minutes spent doing compound lifts, make the drive to the gym worthwhile?

Remember, 5 minute warmup, 5 minute cooldown. 20 minutes left. In this case, I would just do a routine at home.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member

Its the quality of the session rather than the duration of the session that is more important.
  • coreyreichle
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Workouts at the gym can be waste due to duration of the workout.

Assuming 15 minute drive to the gym, 10 minutes for cooldown/warmup, 15 minute drive back home, and 20 minutes for the routine... You've now spent 3/4 of the time involved in NOT doing a routine.

If you're limited to 30 minutes, there are better ideas than going to the gym.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member

What? No. If you can't work out for an arbitrary amount of time you just shouldn't do it at all? That's silly.

• keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Barbell squats including warmup sets; deadlift including warmup set
  • yopeeps025

Assuming 15 minute drive to the gym, 10 minutes for cooldown/warmup, 15 minute drive back home, and 20 minutes for the routine... You've now spent 3/4 of the time involved in NOT doing a routine.

OK lets use me as the example. What workout could I who has over 7 years of weighting training do at home to effective burn calories since OP talking about it like that. Well I use my calories to create a deficit so calories burn at the gym really don't matter so much. There is nothing I can do at home to have a effective micro muscle tear. That is me though.
  • yopeeps025

What? No. If you can't work out for an arbitrary amount of time you just shouldn't do it at all? That's silly.

When some people give that excuse and they do, it shows the laziness in the first place.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Especially when studies are now showing that for sedentary people, even doing something for 5 minutes every 2 hours can counter the effects of inactivity. I got a similar talk from a trainer because due to an injury I can only lift light on one side -- "if you're not lifting heavy, it's the same as doing nothing." These arguments come from people who either want an excuse for doing nothing, or from all-or-nothing exercise perfectionists.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited May 2015
    Weights. Otherwise, why even go to the gym? Cardio/videos/etc can be done at home without paying for a gym membership.

ETA: unless you need the motivation of a gym environment... Then, I guess do whatever you want?

My vote still stands for compound weight lifting.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member

I do cardio for 30 minutes 5 days a week. I average 265 calories burned during those 30 minutes. Over 1 week that is 1,855 calories burned. Pretty sure that isn't a waste.

I also do strength training some days, but there are days when I only do cardio and it's working for me.
  • coreyreichle
    edited May 2015

OK lets use me as the example. What workout could I who has over 7 years of weighting training do at home to effective burn calories since OP talking about it like that. Well I use my calories to create a deficit so calories burn at the gym really don't matter so much. There is nothing I can do at home to have a effective micro muscle tear. That is me though.

OP didn't state they have a 7 year fitness base...

But on that note, anything done at the gym can also be done at home, given the proper equipment. Or, even very little equipment. Did you know, you can lift heavy things at home too! For micro-muscle tears, try lifting 50lb bags of cement, and loading them onto a truck. Then unload them from the truck. I will bet you will have micro-muscular tears after that :)

Or, if you don't like that idea... Burpees, mountain climbers, pullups, jackknives, and a host of other calisthenics when done at proper intensity will produce good results.

If you've ever seen someone just out of prison who is jacked, you will start to see the alternatives to a gym. I don't think most prisoners had access to much of a gym at all. Likely just a bench, and some weights, if that.
  • yopeeps025

OP didn't state they have a 7 year fitness base...

But on that note, anything done at the gym can also be done at home, given the proper equipment. Or, even very little equipment. Did you know, you can lift heavy things at home too! For micro-muscle tears, try lifting 50lb bags of cement, and loading them onto a truck. Then unload them from the truck. I will bet you will have micro-muscular tears after that :)

Or, if you don't like that idea... Burpees, mountain climbers, pullups, jackknives, and a host of other calisthenics when done at proper intensity will produce good results.

If you've ever seen someone just out of prison who is jacked, you will start to see the alternatives to a gym. I don't think most prisoners had access to much of a gym at all. Likely just a bench, and some weights, if that.

I am sure prisons have barbells.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    a lot of my workouts are around 45 minutes .. so they're pointless in your opinion

oh and I walk to the gym and back

and sometimes I'll do 25 mins cardio followed by 15 minutes weights and 5 minutes stretching

according to you that's pointless?

mindblowing
  • coreyreichle
    a lot of my workouts are around 45 minutes .. so they're pointless in your opinion

and sometimes I'll do 25 mins cardio followed by 15 minutes weights and 5 minutes stretching

mindblowing

le sigh. Please read what I meant again:

• yopeeps025

mindblowing

le sigh. Please read what I meant again:

Assuming. Why are we making stuff up now? You made a claim that a short workout is a pointless workout which is clearly wrong.