30 minutes in the gym - what do you do?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I don't exercise for weight loss and eat back exercise calories anyway but if I only had 30 minutes in the gym I would alternate between:

30mins cardio of choice. If I wanted a high calorie burn I wouldn't chose HIIT - would work at the highest sustained level I could sustain for 30 minutes (cycle trainer probably, maybe rowing which is close to a "full body" workout). I don't need a warm up or cool down for a short session.

30mins would be enough (for me) to do four compound lifts (upper body push & pull, lower body push and pull) plus some core work. If you alternate push/pull, upper/lower you need very little recovery time.

Wow and I thought I was a quick lifter.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    30 minutes? I'd do 5 minutes on the treadmill, then get in whatever core lift I had scheduled for that day - squat, bench, deadlift, OHP - and get out.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio.

I'd do squats, OHP or bench, and deadlift.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I split my time - weight training first and then cardio.
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I used to think cardio was the main activity for burning calories , but it seems weight lifting is the way to go from what I've been reading.

Nope!
    It's not a big calorie burner at all - but that's not the reason for doing it.

I run 2 miles on the treadmill and weights for about 30 minutes 4 days a week.
  • mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One vote in for compound lifting. My workouts (not including cardio) are regularly about 30 minutes; 2 exercises for arms, 2 for legs, 2 for core
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss then cardio is the best bet because it burns more calories than lifting so it will create a higher calorie deficit which is how you lose weight. Since OP said the goal is weight loss then I would do cardio. If the goal was maintaining or gaining muscle mass, I'd say lifting.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    If your goal is weight loss then cardio is the best bet because it burns more calories than lifting so it will create a higher calorie deficit which is how you lose weight. Since OP said the goal is weight loss then I would do cardio. If the goal was maintaining or gaining muscle mass, I'd say lifting.

A person should want to maintain or gain muscle mass during the weight loss.

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    On A days, I would do a 30 minute run. On B days, I would do a 5 minute warmup, then calisthenics or plyometrics.

But in reality, 30 minutes is really too short for most any effective routine. You should be looking for more an hour at the gym, otherwise, it's almost a waste.

Post was ok until the end.

Workout can be a waste due to duration of workout. You sure?

Workouts at the gym can be waste due to duration of the workout.

Assuming 15 minute drive to the gym, 10 minutes for cooldown/warmup, 15 minute drive back home, and 20 minutes for the routine... You've now spent 3/4 of the time involved in NOT doing a routine.

If you're limited to 30 minutes, there are better ideas than going to the gym.

Logistics-wise, I completely agree with you. It wouldn't be worth it, for me, to make a trip to the gym for only 30 minutes. But who knows, maybe the OP's gym is at her work and she has 30 minutes there in the middle of the day. Or maybe it's next door and she can get there in under 2 minutes. It takes me 2 minutes to roll out of bed, go to the bathroom, get dressed, and end up in my own basement gym. I could get in a somewhat decent workout in 30 minutes fairly easily if I didn't putz around.

And, if that's the case, I would change my statement. Hell, 10 minutes in the gym would be worthwhile.
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My gym is about a 10 minute walk from me, so tend to walk there, do about 10 minutes extra cardio to get heart rate higher, and then 20 minutes of strength training and then walk back.

Just wondered what others would do in the same situation, but seems everyone is different :-)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

and the more muscle you have the more calories you burn just living .. OK it's nominal but it helps in maintenance

Dependent on BF, muscles give you the tight, small, shapely look .. unless aiming for bulk in which case you get the strong powerful look

I think the goal should be preserving as much LBM as possible during weight loss
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Lola2248 wrote: »
    My gym is about a 10 minute walk from me, so tend to walk there, do about 10 minutes extra cardio to get heart rate higher, and then 20 minutes of strength training and then walk back.

Just wondered what others would do in the same situation, but seems everyone is different :-)

THAT

I'd do that
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    30 minutes in the gym? I'd take a nap in the changing room. I never get much time alone. Pmsl
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

If you can go there by foot, why would you waste 10 minutes on extra cardio at the gym? Why not just run on your way there?
  • Lola2248
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

If you can go there by foot, why would you waste 10 minutes on extra cardio at the gym? Why not just run on your way there?

I'm not fit enough to run. ..... yet
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    You have 30 minutes in the gym.
    Your aim is to lose weight.
    what do you focus on - cardio or focus on weight training?

I don't go to the gym to lose weight.

I go to the gym for health and fitness. So I do a warm up and than lift weights and a cool down.

I think OP was just speaking hypothetically.

@jazmin220 okay and? I answered with what I would do but with the fact it's not for losing weight.

Calorie deficit it.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    a lot of my workouts are around 45 minutes .. so they're pointless in your opinion

oh and I walk to the gym and back

and sometimes I'll do 25 mins cardio followed by 15 minutes weights and 5 minutes stretching

according to you that's pointless?

mindblowing

le sigh. Please read what I meant again:
    Assuming 15 minute drive to the gym, 10 minutes for cooldown/warmup, 15 minute drive back home, and 20 minutes for the routine... You've now spent 3/4 of the time involved in NOT doing a routine.

If you're limited to 30 minutes, there are better ideas than going to the gym.

and this is just what??????

Assume nothing. Who cares how long it takes to get there...the gyms in my town take all of 5mins to get to them.

A 30 min workout is great it's better than a 0 minute workout.

• Lola2248
    Options

I go to the gym for health and fitness. So I do a warm up and than lift weights and a cool down.

@jazmin220 okay and? I answered with what I would do but with the fact it's not for losing weight.

Calorie deficit it.

When I said the goal is to lose weight, I mean I am at the stage of needing to lose weight. I am not looking to gain or maintain. I understand that this is achieved through calorie deficit. But I wanted to explain that I am not looking to bulk up in a gym....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Calorie deficit it.

When I said the goal is to lose weight, I mean I am at the stage of needing to lose weight. I am not looking to gain or maintain. I understand that this is achieved through calorie deficit. But I wanted to explain that I am not looking to bulk up in a gym....

you can't "bulk up" without being in a calorie surplus esp as a woman...and without doing some heavy lifting.

regardless of what you want lose, maintain or gain...exercise is for health and fitness.
  • Lola2248
    Options

and the more muscle you have the more calories you burn just living .. OK it's nominal but it helps in maintenance

Dependent on BF, muscles give you the tight, small, shapely look .. unless aiming for bulk in which case you get the strong powerful look

I think the goal should be preserving as much LBM as possible during weight loss

Yes, don't wan to be bulky... LBM is the look Id love!
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Yes, don't wan to be bulky... LBM is the look Id love!

You simply aren't going to bulk up as woman without a huge surplus, structured lifting programme, a lot of time, amazing genetic luck and possibly some steroids

But lifting heavy will make you taut and tight like nothing else will

and there's no greater feeling than feeling strong