Just creeped your profile ...you rock!
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Yes, prevents me from eating pizza for lunch and burgers for dinner
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Ok well thanks for the positive feedback, didn't ask for no snotty ones but hey ho

Honestly. If you ask a silly question you're going to get some blunt answers. When you phrase your question like that, does it "actually" work, you are displaying -- at best -- your skepticism to a well-proven fact. At worst, you are displaying not just skepticism but hostility to the idea that it works. What result can you expect? Bluntness. Not rainbows and "positive feedback."

If someone "counts" calories but doesn't lose a reasonable amount of weight, it is either because
    1) They are magical unicorns whose bodies never burn calories. Evar.
    2) They are eating too many calories because they've set too small a caloric deficit to achieve results.
    3) They are bad at or lazy about counting.

Most of the time it's Door #3. To be "good at counting" you have to
    • Practice accurate portion measurement. The key point here is accurate. Absolutely no guesstimating, no eyeballing. For most people, it means weighing stuff. Weighing is more consistent than volume-based measuring, because sometimes different amounts of food seem to take up the same amount of space. Some people don't want to meticulously weigh / measure their food. Fine. But then those people don't get to complain that calorie-counting doesn't work. Because they haven't really tried calorie-counting.
    • Count EVERYTHING that actually has calories in it. Depending on the size of the calorie deficit you are targeting, there's actually a bit of variation in what will work for different people. I don't count water. I don't count diet sodas. I do count salsa and mustard, even though the calories in small portions of these are pretty miniscule. I certainly count fruits and vegetables. They have calories and eating them reduces the size of the deficit I am achieving. Duh. Some people don't want to count vegetables. Fine. But then, those people don't get to complain that calorie-counting doesn't work. Because they haven't really tried calorie-counting.
    • Record everything you count. Kind of a subset of #2, but a lot of people make the mistake of not recording "a few bites" of something here and there because they assume that it's negligible. And that might be fine if you are successfully achieving a super-huge deficit and seeing results. Some people don't want to count the 3 M&Ms they ate, and the few bites of an apple, and couple sips of OJ, and those crackers that were just going to go to waste if someone didn't eat them, etc. etc. etc. Fine. But those people don't get to complain that calorie-counting doesn't work.

Is there some variation in people's metabolisms? Absolutely. Do we always accurately know the EXACT caloric value that our bodies extract from every bite? Nope. But this stuff only matters on the margins. Giving a crap about it is a great way to major in the minors. Calculating a reasonable and appropriate caloric deficit, and diligently counting calories as best we can to achieve that deficit works. ACTUALLY.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    yep lost 90 pound since October 2014
    And my husband 13 pound ( he is at goal weight now)

• astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    It works until the number you have to hit to lose weight gets so low that you go insane from hunger.

If it gets that low, I'd say you're done with your weight loss goal and should be on maintenance.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It works until the number you have to hit to lose weight gets so low that you go insane from hunger.

Which isn't something that happens to many.

Yeah, if you're "going insane from hunger" clearly you're doing it wrong.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Or have to learn how to distinguish true hunger from false hunger. I'm not entirely convinced that some of the people who make claims about being terribly hungry all the time are actually, truly hungry.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    CICO is working nicely for me. But I log everything every day. The only time I "indulge" is when my exercise calories allow for it, which for me is fairly frequent due to my high level of activity.

5'5" Female
    Very active lifestyle
    Calorie goal 2300 set to loose 2 pounds a week.
    started out with 100 to loose.

50 days of logging and so far.
    I have stayed at or just under my allowance every day.
    I eat back a small amount of my exercise calories.
    Down 12 pounds since starting MFP and 20p pounds over all since starting CICO.
    Nothing else in my life has changed.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Or have to learn how to distinguish true hunger from false hunger. I'm not entirely convinced that some of the people who make claims about being terribly hungry all the time are actually, truly hungry.

This is a great point-one of the things I had to learn, was what actual hunger was vs being 'hungry' because I was bored, because it was a certain time on the clock, because it was the polite thing to do (parties/dinner events etc). Learning the difference has been a huge factor in why I've been so successful with maintenance :)
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

Agree totally. I have to ask myself, am I Reaalllly hungry or just bored :blush:

• LaurenWilkins293
    LaurenWilkins293 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

No to this.

Yes to calorie counting working. But ya gotta COUNT THEM ALL! Count the ones you ate....count the ones your burned....count the ones you lost by arguing with people on the internets. Count em ALL!

Haha love it! I only found out this app had a forum a couple hours ago and look what iv started
  • LaurenWilkins293
    LaurenWilkins293 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    been doing this a week now and sticking to 1200 calories a day, and doing jillion michaels 30day shred , on the weekend I indulged

Did your indulgence outweigh your defecit? Cos it won't work like that

But yes it works if you stick with it

This.
    Sorry I may look completely stupid , but I am new to this (I never even new there was this forum until an hour or so ago and I got all excited lol!) but I have no idea what you mean by outweigh my calorie deficit ? :/ people can say what they like ... But I'm so in the blue

• forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yes it works. It's the only thing that has ever worked for me, but you do have to log everything accurately all the time. If you guesstimate things and don't weigh your food then you may have some problems.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

No to this.

Yes to calorie counting working. But ya gotta COUNT THEM ALL! Count the ones you ate....count the ones your burned....count the ones you lost by arguing with people on the internets. Count em ALL!

Haha love it! I only found out this app had a forum a couple hours ago and look what iv started

You didn't start anything, just when you ask a question in a public forum people are going to have different view points. Are you saying you are trying to start problems? If so, that is against forum guidelines and you won't be around very long if you keep it up. Just sayin!

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

No to this.

My. Someone thinks very highly of themselves.

To answer your question, yes, calorie counting works. Being in a deficit is the only way to lose weight.
  • deanspools2013
    deanspools2013 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    You're on a website dedicated to calorie counting..........
    Lol, right!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    been doing this a week now and sticking to 1200 calories a day, and doing jillion michaels 30day shred , on the weekend I indulged

Did your indulgence outweigh your defecit? Cos it won't work like that

But yes it works if you stick with it

This.
    Sorry I may look completely stupid , but I am new to this (I never even new there was this forum until an hour or so ago and I got all excited lol!) but I have no idea what you mean by outweigh my calorie deficit ? :/ people can say what they like ... But I'm so in the blue

If your new than start filling in MFP settings
    Start weighing ALL your solid food on a food scale and log them everyday. EVERYTHING you eat or drink that has calories
    Measuring with cups and spoons is only for liquids and dont use the serving sizes on the labels...they are too inaccurate
    Now if you log everything and keep your calorie intake around the calorie numbers MFP gave you you will lose weight

If you excersize ( so burn more calories) log those too and eat back 25% to 75% of those calories on top of your calorie allowance.