Replies

• fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Meh, I'd give it a shot if it were free. The show I saw said it literally freezes the fat and kills the fat cells. Then over a period of 6 months your body "takes care" of the dead fat cells. Definitely not a weight loss solution, but I suppose it could be used to spot reduce.

• fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If it works...so give it a go and let us know?

I might hang out in the whole foods beer room 30 minutes a day in the mean time.

It works, but it can cause permanent nerve damage. You can only reduce a spot about the size of a stick of butter. So if it is effective, it can leave you with divots and ridges.

You can only freeze a spot the size of a stick of butter? You mean ever, or only something that size per session, or what?

The device they use is roughly that size, probably a little bigger. They place it on the area, leave it on for awhile and then can move to additional areas. The patient could do their whole midsection, for example, if they have enough time and money available.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

I might hang out in the whole foods beer room 30 minutes a day in the mean time.

It works, but it can cause permanent nerve damage. You can only reduce a spot about the size of a stick of butter. So if it is effective, it can leave you with divots and ridges.

You can only freeze a spot the size of a stick of butter? You mean ever, or only something that size per session, or what?

The device they use is roughly that size, probably a little bigger. They place it on the area, leave it on for awhile and then can move to additional areas. The patient could do their whole midsection, for example, if they have enough time and money available.

this sounds worthwhile /nod
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »
    No Vanilla Ice references yet? Disappointed...

Here ya go :)

vanilla-ice-ice-ice-baby-gif.gif
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Has anyone actually tried this? There are things online and "doctors" coming out with services where they using cooling technology to basically melt fat off.

Just curious if anyone has actually tried this.

Oh for goodness sake, don't tell me you feel for this! :D

Seriously, it's a scam to take money out of your pocket.
  • drewlfitness
    drewlfitness Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Has anyone actually tried this? There are things online and "doctors" coming out with services where they using cooling technology to basically melt fat off.

Oh for goodness sake, don't tell me you feel for this! :D

Seriously, it's a scam to take money out of your pocket.

Yeah. I have a feeling it's one of those things where they get you all excited, then you get no results. Like diet pills.

For the record, no, the percentage of me leaning towards doing this is about 10%. Would need a LOT more use cases for me to actually but in to something like this.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

"A while" = hours. It is marketed to be a one time treatment, and like I said, it works, but with one treatment, the results are usually underwhelming.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Is this like the Dr. Oz and Dr. Mercola cold bath recommendation (and I use the term "Dr." loosely here...)?
  • pollypocket1021
    Options
    Is this like the Dr. Oz and Dr. Mercola cold bath recommendation (and I use the term "Dr." loosely here...)?

No. A machine attaches to the body and suctions in the area of concern (about the size of a stick of butter). Then, it cools the cells for hours to kill them.

The overall body temperature stays the same and there is no anticipated change in weight or overall body fat %.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

No. A machine attaches to the body and suctions in the area of concern (about the size of a stick of butter). Then, it cools the cells for hours to kill them.

The overall body temperature stays the same and there is no anticipated change in weight or overall body fat %.

So you're giving your fat cells frostbite? Then what happens? Would your skin suffer also? And wouldn't the fat cells then become gangrenous or something? I mean, what happens to them after they die?
  • pollypocket1021
    Options
    Cells die all the time.

I don't have that device, or any personal experience with it. I have a different device that does a similar thing. Sometimes there are areas of fat necrosis that are hard to the touch and tender. They can take up to a year to go away if they are really big. But usually, the cellular debris is just absorbed by the body.

With regard to skin, I have seen patients from another office with coolsculpting afterwards (generally months to years after their treatment) and no one has ever complained of skin issues. The subcutaneous fatty tissue does have superficial nerves running through it which can be effected. Nerve damage is the major side effect I see.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Don't things have to get hot to melt? Hot being relative to things that are not hot.