Am I the only one who doesn't count or measure?

Options
reading the boards I sometimes feel as though I am the only one who does not count calories or measure my food. I mean I know about how many calories I eat daily but I have never really counted and I never measure or weigh my food. I am not criticizing those who do, we all have our own journeys but I just feel like I'm in the minority.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Don't worry about everyone else if your way is working. Personally I cannot guess and lose weight. I felt like I ate almost nothing the other day when in reality I was WAY over calories.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I didn't in the beginning, but when I got down to my last fifteen or so pounds, I really had to tighten up my measuring. Knowing "about how many calories" I ate per day wasn't enough. Now that I'm down to my goal weight, I don't weigh foods I've weighed a million times every time, but it's because an easy habit and ensures I'm not eating more than I think.

TLDR: being off by a few calories can make a difference and a food scale removes that chance.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    This is a calorie counting site, so naturally most of us count calories...
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I keep a mental tally of what I eat. Logging makes me think of food too much, and pre logging won't log off. I believe whatever works for the individual. If logging helps you lose or maintain, good for you. whichever way works for you all the more power to you, as long as it works. I hope i did not ramble on too much
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Well... you ARE on a calorie counting website? That's kind of like asking a meat-eaters forum why you're the only vegetarian....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I admit, I am curious as to what bought you to this site. It's a tool to count calories, so most ppl here are doing just that. Maybe another site would suit you better?
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »

That may be true but I use this website to log my weight and goals as well as to visit the boards and get support and ideas
  • aprilflower18232
    Options

I admit, I am curious as to what bought you to this site. It's a tool to count calories, so most ppl here are doing just that. Maybe another site would suit you better?

I have been on my weight loss journey for almost 2 years and have been visiting this website ever since. I don't plan on leaving, I was just asking a question
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

This
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

I have been on my weight loss journey for almost 2 years and have been visiting this website ever since. I don't plan on leaving, I was just asking a question

Ah, ok, I thought perhaps if you were new that you got lost somewhere in app-land! Glad to hear you're sticking around!
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've never weighed food in my life and I lost all my weight that way. I've been maintaining for a few months now. That being said... I log everything... But always estimate serving sizes. For meats... I always have lean ground turkey or chicken breast. So I feel like the calories I'm off by estimating aren't a crazy amount. Who knows!! I worked in the restaurant industry for a long time in the past and my boyfriend has worked in the restaurant for almost 20 years. He helped me just eyeball the portion of food I was eating because they always portion everything before they make the restaurant food. So that may help too!

Do what works for you!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »

That may be true but I use this website to log my weight and goals as well as to visit the boards and get support and ideas

Which is a legit use, but at it's heart it is a calorie counting site, so it's hardly surprising that you're in the minority.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I rarely weigh anything, and only measure something about once a day, but since a big reason most people are here is because of the app that counts calories, you won't find many who don't use it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    are you at your goal now? are you happy with how you are doing? are you settling in and not gaining?

If you answered yes to all these question then keep on keeping on...

but if you answered no...re-evaluate what you are doing and what you could change to make those all yes answers.

I've lost weight without counting and measuring but gained it back....and now that I am educating myself about muscle loss etc it's not just about calories for me...it's about nutrients health and fitness.

What I need in my body to help it do what I want it to do...DL 230 lbs...run a 5k....bench my bodyweight...

So counting calories and logging food is not just about losing weight....remember that.

But yes I agree you are in a minority...most here count/measure/weigh and those that stopped have hit maintenance and are happy and doing well.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    reading the boards I sometimes feel as though I am the only one who does not count calories or measure my food. I mean I know about how many calories I eat daily but I have never really counted and I never measure or weigh my food. I am not criticizing those who do, we all have our own journeys but I just feel like I'm in the minority.

If feeling like you're in the minority bothers you, then maybe don't spend time in the forums of a calorie-counting website. I'm actually confused -- are you REALLY surprised? Or are you just dying to start a discussion?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

No you don't.

• aprilflower18232
    Options
    no youre not the only person, there will come a time you will need to do so though.

Why? I don't think it's going to happen, lol