Giving up soda , for good

Options
I've decided after a trip to the dentist that it is time I give up my diet -coke addiction for good. I've tried to stop before but get headaches after a day or two cold turkey . Has anyone given up sodas ? Do u replace them with another drink? Thanks

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Headaches are probably from reduction in caffeine. You can taper down over time. If you want to keep caffeine even then replace with coffee or tea.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I was never a big soda drinker. I only drink water, tea, coffee, almond/cashew/coconut milk now (oh and alcohol on occasion). Don't miss soda. I'd rather eat my calories.
  • kskinnyperfect
    kskinnyperfect Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I was never a big soda drinker. I only drink water, tea, coffee, almond/cashew/coconut milk now (oh and alcohol on occasion). Don't miss soda. I'd rather eat my calories.
    Same I've always had diet soda , but even though it's 0 calories still know it's messing up my teeth . Ah the struggle
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    If you want the "fizzy" feeling of soda you can always try seltzer water. Depending on your caffeine intake, going cold turkey may give you some headaches. Tapering down may lessen the headaches.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Do u replace them with another drink? Thanks

Pretty much every beverage besides water has stuff in it that will do a number on your teeth if you let it sit there for too long. The solution is the brush them frequently and get it off. Even water + toothbrush will do the trick.
  • chelsmaee7
    chelsmaee7 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My fiancé was able to cut down on soda a lot by replacing it with the mio with caffeine. I cut it out easily but I found that I like lipton diet green tea with citrus when I want something other than water.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet coke when I was pregnant. Sometimes I just really want something carbonated to drink especially when I was eating something greasy. Trader joes has flavoured carbonated water, no aspartame, it's pretty good and worked for me. It's only recently that I've started drinking diet coke again...shame on me I never fully kicked the habit I guess.
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am about a month out from quitting diet sodas. For the first week or two, I made my own "soda" with sparkling water and a splash of juice. It was nice to still have a fizzy drink. Now I just do water and coffee. I had a sip of Diet Dr Pepper the other day and I couldn't stand the taste, and it seemed so thick and made me feel thirstier. Funny now quickly our taste buds can change.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Flavored sparkling or seltzer water helps! Try to increase your water intake to see of it helps with the headaches.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Have you been drinking a lot of Diet Coke? I cut right back but still have one can a day, which is enough to get the 'fix' but not enough to do too much damage. A can really isn't very much - when you pour it into a glass you go 'Oh'.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I tried several times and failed. Headaches etc. Couldn't do it. Then one day, the diet coke gave me up! It started tasting strange. That was about 5 years ago. Still not sure what happened. I still drink tea and coffee though, so my teeth get kind of stained between cleanings. I upped the frequency just to deal with it and the hygienist still complains! It's really my only vice though.

Sorry that I don't have advice for you. I think there is some really good ideas in this thread.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »

I love cashew milk; it's my new best friend! I gave up soda about 6-7 years ago and have not regretted a minute. I hated the bloaty gassy feeling I got after drinking one and I hate belching! Now, if I try to have even a little bit, I can hardly stand it. I drink mostly water, flavored with lemon. I also have a Vitamin Water here and there to satisfy a sweet craving.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've never drank a whole lot of soda, but I would occasionally drink a coke if I went out to eat somewhere. I've now replaced it with diet coke if I want soda but it is still only twice a month or so, I would just rather eat my calories instead of drink them.

I will add that soda itself doesn't mess up your teeth, it is neglecting to brush the sugar off of them that messes them up. An occasional soda isn't going to cause significant damage to your teeth, especially if you brush it off thoroughly.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i love love love coke and dr pepper. i recently started a new medication that makes carbonated beverages taste horrible. i quit cold turkey and haven't looked back.
    i replaced with water and tea.
  • bwp180
    bwp180 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of diet coke - sometimes treat myself with plain coke. Yum. But seriously - it's so bad for you. Not just your teeth. I read that even though it is diet - it makes you crave more or something along those lines. Also read about the dangers of food coloring and yes...caramel coloring isn't caramel ...it's the color. And of course all the other reasons listed by others. So I cut down a lot over the past year and then this year - dropped it all together. No diet coke in 2015. Feel fine and don't miss it. I only drink water and black coffee now. Oh - and wine. I still drink that. Good luck!
  • andreamulhall
    andreamulhall Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to full fat coke a cola for years . When I joined this app In January I gave it up simply because it wasn't worth the calories , I just drink water instead . First week as hard but after that I stopped craving it . Good luck
  • jingerbird
    jingerbird Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I blame full fat coke for me ending up with type II Diabetes. (Well obviously, I was the one who did the drinking lol) I used to drink 2-4 liters every single day, sometimes even more. I just didn't realise back then that it was so bad for me. I have had lots of problems with my teeth and swapping to diet coke only left me with constant upset stomach. I try not to drink it at all now, but when I go out to party, I have diet coke with vodka.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet coke or two everyday...my dentist has never suggested I give it up.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to full fat coke a cola for years . When I joined this app In January I gave it up simply because it wasn't worth the calories , I just drink water instead . First week as hard but after that I stopped craving it . Good luck
    jingerbird wrote: »
    I blame full fat coke for me ending up with type II Diabetes. (Well obviously, I was the one who did the drinking lol) I used to drink 2-4 liters every single day, sometimes even more. I just didn't realise back then that it was so bad for me. I have had lots of problems with my teeth and swapping to diet coke only left me with constant upset stomach. I try not to drink it at all now, but when I go out to party, I have diet coke with vodka.

Coke has fat?
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I've decided after a trip to the dentist that it is time I give up my diet -coke addiction for good. I've tried to stop before but get headaches after a day or two cold turkey . Has anyone given up sodas ? Do u replace them with another drink? Thanks
    Why would diet soda have any effect on your teeth?