Advice truly needed

Options
I'm starting a water fast today where I eat no food at all and only drink water with a one a day vitamin to jump start weight loss and then start eating healthy 1200 calories after the fast ends. I plan on fasting for as long as I can, i'd like to fast for a month or more. Has anyone ever fasted successfully and if so how much weight did you lose and how long did you fast? thanks :-)

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    This is a very bad idea. You don't need to jump start weight loss. Just plug your stats into MFP, which will give you a calorie goal. Eat to that goal, and add in some of your exercise calories. Log consistently, and use a food scale. You do not need to fast!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Trying to fast for a month is a recipe for disaster.

Just enter your stats into MFP, eat to the calorie goal it gives you for how much weight you wish to lose. You can exercise regularly if you want to as well and eat 50-75% of those calories back. I think you are making things harder for yourself than you need to.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    This is a very bad idea. You don't need to jump start weight loss. Just plug your stats into MFP, which will give you a calorie goal. Eat to that goal, and add in some of your exercise calories. Log consistently, and use a food scale. You do not need to fast!

Also, make sure to read some of the stickies posted in the forums. Lots of great info!

• serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You want to starve yourself for a month? Doesn't sound safe to me, why not just eat at a deficit & lose the weight safely?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Your asking how long someone can stay lazy and just eat nothing to lose weight?

Is this a joke thread?

Choose a moderate calorie deficit. Eat that and lose weight. Stop with all these gimmicks. They do not work.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sigh... face in my hands.. :(:(
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh my god.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    OP, what part of that plan sounds logical, healthy or sustainable?
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    By "one-a-day", they don't mean "we have all the nutrients you could ever need in one day right in this little pill". You will be seriously lacking in nutrients and fuel for your body. Do not fast for a month.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have tried fasting. I did not experience any of the benefits of fasting...I was irritable, hungry, didn't have any energy to burn calories, and I lost muscle instead of fat. I fasted for 4 days. Water and vegatable broth once a day. i guess everyone has to learn this for themselves so go for it.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sounds entirely miserable and completely unnecessary, also likely dangerous to your health. I have lost 40 pounds eating at a reasonable calorie deficit and never once starving myself.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely insane. Op don't be shocked if this thread gets deleted because it really is asinine. Starving yourself for a month is a very bad idea. And people that do these extreme diets usually gain back every pound that they have lost, once they return to eating. So you'll make yourself miserable and risk your well being for nothing.
    Why not just eat at a deficit? If you eat at a deficit you'll lose weight. Fasting for a month isn't the correct way to do this. Your risking a lot.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I have tried fasting. I did not experience any of the benefits of fasting...I was irritable, hungry, didn't have any energy to burn calories, and I lost muscle instead of fat. I fasted for 4 days. Water and vegatable broth once a day. i guess everyone has to learn this for themselves so go for it.

Worst advice ever. SMH
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a water fast today where I eat no food at all and only drink water with a one a day vitamin to jump start weight loss and then start eating healthy 1200 calories after the fast ends. I plan on fasting for as long as I can, i'd like to fast for a month or more. Has anyone ever fasted successfully and if so how much weight did you lose and how long did you fast? thanks :-)

Seriously, do not do this. I did this exact "diet" in high school. It is actually just anorexia. I did permanent damage to my heart doing it. My hair fell out and neither my hair nor my fingernails seemed to grow for about 2 years after I stopped.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea young lady. If you start this with your mind set on getting the weight off asap. You will frustrate yourself often and end up giving up or gaining back what you lost as soon as you reach your goal, if you do it by starving yourself.
    Also, not many people are going to be too nice about you going on a water fast.
    Best of luck!
  • king042
    king042 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you're going to fast, try intermittent fasting, eat at a caloric deficit, and exercise. Water fasting for a month straight....not good.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think

a) a month fast is totally unrealistic (as well as unnecessary and miserable) - you are just setting yourself up for failure because eventually you will get hungry enough that you will eat.

b) even if you are "successful", you are going to cause yourself physical (and possibly mental) issues beyond being a bit heavier than you would like.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    wow. so far this is the most unhealthy and extreme thing i have seen on here... and i have seen alot of crazy ideas. this kind of thinking leads to serious eating disorders. please don't
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I think you should talk to your doctor first and see what they have to say about wanting to do this.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the most stupidest idea I have ever heard. As someone who has had their experiences with anorexia, you know what will happen if you fast for as long as possible?

You will become either incredibly angry or incredibly miserable for what feels like no good reason, pass out from exhaustion if you even have the energy to move, or you will end up binging because you are so hungry and can't fight it anymore and probably eat two or three days worth of calories in a couple of hours. And that usually occurs after a fast of two-three days. Any longer than that, prepare for heart palpitations, hair loss and brittle nails along with some heart-breaking mental anguish.

That may sound very over the top, but if you are going to start 'fasting for as long as possible' then be prepared for what that can lead to. Only an idiot would consider it.
This discussion has been closed.