Weight loss has stopped/plateaud

Replies

• gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member

No, because eating less sugar doesn't cause weight loss. Eating more protein doesn't cause weight loss. Eating fewer calories than you burn does cause weight loss, and is the only factor that causes weight loss.

Again, I'm giving my opinion on what worked FOR ME. If you don't agree, hey that's super. I don't really care. Instead of focusing on me, why not help out the OP?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    gigglybeth wrote: »

No, because eating less sugar doesn't cause weight loss. Eating more protein doesn't cause weight loss. Eating fewer calories than you burn does cause weight loss, and is the only factor that causes weight loss.

Again, I'm giving my opinion on what worked FOR ME. If you don't agree, hey that's super. I don't really care. Instead of focusing on me, why not help out the OP?

Like I said, it worked for you because it was a coincidence. So the the advice of eating less sugar and more protein wouldn't help the OP. So pointing out something that isn't going to work is helping the OP.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Hoppo39 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have been on my weight loss journey for just under two years. I am 39, female and currently weight 203lbs. At my heaviest I was 308lbs. Most of my weight loss was through eating healthy and doing 6/7 hours of exercise classes. I've recently starting calorie counting using MFP. I am really struggling to lose the last few pounds that I need to lose to get to goal. My goal weight is 180lbs which would be a 'healthy' weight for my height 5ft 11. I've not lost any weight in the past 3 weeks. I'm stuck at 203lbs. I'm quite happy at the moment and I feel fit and healthy. But I'm still overweight! Not really sure what to do to get things moving again.

It's very unlikely you are at a plateau. You are more likely either gaining or losing, and given that you have lost a great deal of weight and are probably still doing all the same things, you are likely still losing. Your weight fluctuates for a variety of reasons and you can go through any three week stretch - or longer - that you have little to no weight loss on the scales that it not attributable to not losing fat. And it's fat loss you are after and not just out of context weight loss
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    If someone is at a plateau, suggesting less sugar and more protein is a perfectly reasonable suggestion, especially given that we can tweak our macro goals in http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals/daily_nutrition_goals
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If someone is at a plateau, suggesting less sugar and more protein is a perfectly reasonable suggestion, especially given that we can tweak our macro goals in http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals/daily_nutrition_goals

Based on what evidence? How do you know how much sugar and protein OP is already eating? Exactly what effects will changing those values have on weight loss?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member

Assuming that calorie intake doesn't change, less sugar won't actually do anything.
  • kshama2001
    My body handles 100 calories of eggs differently from 100 calories of apple juice. In fact, the only time I'm allergic to cats is when I've been eating too much sugar. YMMV.

The OP was looking for suggestions and gigglybeth's was a perfectly reasonable one.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I've lost inches off my waist. Trousers I purchased a month ago are now too baggy

Then you are NOT at a plateau! Your measurements are changing! Positive things are happening!

This, you may not see a loss on the scale but it seems as though you are losing inches. Keep doing what you are doing since it seems as though it is working for you just not on the scale all of the time. Track your measurements too.
    Congrats on your weight loss so far that's amazing!!

• nannyme56
    nannyme56 Posts: 4 Member
    I am on high protein low carb diet dont really exercise much an lose 2-3lb a week. I have complex carbs once a week.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    1. If you opened up your diary people could see where you're at with calories, macronutrients and possible deviations from proper logging. Sliding from proper logging is a very common problem. At the worst you'll need to readjust your calories.
    2. Don't change anything for at least a month. We all go up and down, retain and lose. Three weeks of no weight loss is not the end of the world. Don't change what you're doing yet unless you find you're fudging your numbers somewhere. It could be anything at this point.
    3. Congratulations on your weight loss!
    4. I like lists.
    5. If you're not doing some form of strength training I would suggest it. Ladies classes are generally cardio heavy and weight light. If you're totally set on group exercise look for women on weights, kettlebell and/or boot camp classes that are functional fitness (bodyweight exercises) heavy. The "ideal" in many folks' eyes would be do find a barbell and figure out how to pick it up and put it down.
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member

That's just a coincidence

Because you know my body better then I do? I'm sure the 77 pounds I lost, without your input, were also coincidence.

4wycNsucv3ofC.gif
  • nannyme56
    nannyme56 Posts: 4 Member
    TiJoGa wrote: »

That's just a coincidence

Because you know my body better then I do? I'm sure the 77 pounds I lost, without your input, were also coincidence.

4wycNsucv3ofC.gif
    Well done on your weight loss.
  • Hoppo39
    Hoppo39 Posts: 12 Member
    aakaakaak wrote: »
    1. If you opened up your diary people could see where you're at with calories, macronutrients and possible deviations from proper logging. Sliding from proper logging is a very common problem. At the worst you'll need to readjust your calories.
    2. Don't change anything for at least a month. We all go up and down, retain and lose. Three weeks of no weight loss is not the end of the world. Don't change what you're doing yet unless you find you're fudging your numbers somewhere. It could be anything at this point.
    3. Congratulations on your weight loss!
    4. I like lists.
    5. If you're not doing some form of strength training I would suggest it. Ladies classes are generally cardio heavy and weight light. If you're totally set on group exercise look for women on weights, kettlebell and/or boot camp classes that are functional fitness (bodyweight exercises) heavy. The "ideal" in many folks' eyes would be do find a barbell and figure out how to pick it up and put it down.

One of the classes I do uses kettlebells and another one uses 2kg hand weights so 2/3 hours of my training is weight based. The rest is cardio. I love the exercise I do so am reluctant to change anything. Will continue you as I have been doing for now and pay close attention to weighing food and logging.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member

Like I said, it worked for you because it was a coincidence. So the the advice of eating less sugar and more protein wouldn't help the OP. So pointing out something that isn't going to work is helping the OP.

I agree with you on this. I think it's critical that people are allowed to point out flaws in responses because poor advice to an OP is worse than no advice.
  • galgenstrick
    My body handles 100 calories of eggs differently from 100 calories of apple juice. In fact, the only time I'm allergic to cats is when I've been eating too much sugar. YMMV.

The OP was looking for suggestions and gigglybeth's was a perfectly reasonable one.

So you're saying because you think eating less sugar helped reduce your cat allergies that if OP ate less sugar she would break a weight loss plateau? That logic is perfectly sound, right?!
  • Hoppo39
    Hoppo39 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to carry on as I have been doing for a few more weeks. Hopefully it will start to shift soon
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I've not lost any weight in the past 3 weeks.
    Keep on doing what you're doing and give it time. If you've consumed a lot of sodium lately, you may be retaining some water weight. If you'd like to open your diary, we can tell you if there are any incorrect entries (there are some that are wrong in the database).

• RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    edited May 2015
    Congratulations on your success so far. Understand that you are now thinner and more fit. So you are burning fewer calories when you exercise and at rest, so small errors in tracking will have greater impact than they would have 100 pounds ago. I always reduce exercise intensity because I believe that this tool gives me too much credit for calories burned during exercise, (comparing it to estimates I get when I use a heartrate monitor.) So, when I walk 4.5 MPH, I log 4 MPH, when I bike at 15-16 MPH, I log it as 12-14, and when I do a 45 minute Taekwondo class, I credit myself for 30-35 minutes. I also find it helps to look critically at calories assigned to food. Just yesterday, while logging my dinner I was given estimates 100 calories apart for the same food item (pork loin, grilled). My strategy is to use the higher estimate unless I have information telling me the higher estimate is wrong.
  • kshama2001
    edited May 2015

So you're saying because you think eating less sugar helped reduce your cat allergies that if OP ate less sugar she would break a weight loss plateau? That logic is perfectly sound, right?!

My point is that if one is at a plateau, the suggestion to tweak one's macros is perfectly reasonable.