Side effects of eating (mostly) clean?

Options

Replies

• Sorchya
    Sorchya Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to have some protein,especially if you are wanting to build muscle...your body needs it.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Note what's going on when these attacks hit. Could be anxiety.
    I have anxiety attacks when something big is going down. It sucks. I thought it was caffeine so I gave it up. That was killer, and then I was STILL having the attacks. When my life calmed down, the attacks went away and I got back to my beloved coffee. hahah

I get them every once and a while still though.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat mostly clean - with all foods made from ingredients and not packaged where possible for almost two weeks. I've found that I'm almost getting "anxiety" attacks with heart racing occasionally - I've looked online and have seen that as I am sort of "detoxing" that things like this, headaches etc. can happen. I never had this particular side effect when I've cut out sugar before. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, did it eventually even out?
    I'm worried that with all my fruit and veg, though I'm eating healthier, there are other things I'm having sugar with that perahps I should cut down on? I know it's not perfect but one step at a time!
    It's too easy to start jumping to conclusions about what your body is doing when you have symptoms.
    The best thing to do is test/measure things. Have blood tests ordered by your doctor to see what is happening with your metabolism...hormone levels, blood sugar, cortisol levels, thyroid function, etc.
    Our body's give us signs via symptoms, but you need to see what is going on.
    I am currently eating only veggies, proteins, fats, and whatever carbs I get from that. I removed dairy, grains, sugar and fruit from my diet at the end of March. At that time, YES I did have symptoms that lasted for a week.
    I am under supervision of a nurse practitioner, and drawing blood samples monthly. I would suggest you do the same, as our bodies can get out of balance and become sensitive, leaving you with annoying symptoms. This way you know what is going on and can adjust your food/exercise to support your body to rebalance.
    Hope you feel better soon!

• mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat mostly clean - with all foods made from ingredients and not packaged where possible for almost two weeks. I've found that I'm almost getting "anxiety" attacks with heart racing occasionally - I've looked online and have seen that as I am sort of "detoxing" that things like this, headaches etc. can happen. I never had this particular side effect when I've cut out sugar before. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, did it eventually even out?
    I'm worried that with all my fruit and veg, though I'm eating healthier, there are other things I'm having sugar with that perahps I should cut down on? I know it's not perfect but one step at a time!

I think the problem here is you are overthinking it and reading into too much hype on the Internet, which is probably the more likely cause of your anxiety. Take it one day at a time. Your body has a homeostasis, in that it adjusts based on whatever you put into it, so if you change anything that your body is used to getting, it will respond with certain symptoms. There is also a behavioural element to change -- you are changing your behaviours and that can affect how you feel as well. Avoid compartmentalizing your foods into categories (clean, good, bad etc), as they can be attached to emotion and cause anxiety. Instead, focus on getting the majority of your diet from nutrient-dense sources and don't agonize over the process.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If this continues I'd consider seeing a doctor or allergist/immunologist. These could be symptoms of a food allergy or intollerance. It's possible to be intollerant to a healthy food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    kshaevel wrote: »
    I believe you are lacking potassium which caused the anxiety feeling. You can't really replace it through supplements, you need to eat some high potassium foods.

This seems unlikely if she is eating a lot of fruit and vegetables.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Eating clean, detox, fear of sugar - I'm impressed. Now you just need to stop eating carbs after 18:00 and avoid gluten and you've got the full set of needless restrictions. You've got this.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of things. First things first, though - how many Calories are you currently eating? How many were you eating previously? How has your activity level (including exercise) changed? I ask because doing too much, too soon, often causes people to crash/bonk/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. It may be as simple as that, or it could be something else. Often, it's the simplest answer(s) that tend to be correct.
  • aburningkiss
    aburningkiss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your body may just be getting used to a different way of living (if it's a drastic change) :)
    As for anxiety I can attest to how *kitten* it is, and you know it only gets worse when you can't pinpoint the source, and then start to speculate what the "source" could possibly be it gets you even more het up (even if there isn't a dang source! Wow. I should say source one more time :P)
    Keep up the good work and eating good and I hope your anxiety/symptoms lessen.
  • cosmicpixie
    cosmicpixie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the people who have left really helpful comments - I really appreciate your time.
    To those that have just come here to *kitten* and moan at me and my question (which I feel is perfectly valid) - keep on walking thank you.
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I get anxiety

It has never been related to food

Perhaps talk to your doctor about your anxiety
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I think the problem here is you are overthinking it and reading into too much hype on the Internet, which is probably the more likely cause of your anxiety. Take it one day at a time. Your body has a homeostasis, in that it adjusts based on whatever you put into it, so if you change anything that your body is used to getting, it will respond with certain symptoms. There is also a behavioural element to change -- you are changing your behaviours and that can affect how you feel as well. Avoid compartmentalizing your foods into categories (clean, good, bad etc), as they can be attached to emotion and cause anxiety. Instead, focus on getting the majority of your diet from nutrient-dense sources and don't agonize over the process.

This sounds right to me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    It could be a number of things. First things first, though - how many Calories are you currently eating? How many were you eating previously? How has your activity level (including exercise) changed? I ask because doing too much, too soon, often causes people to crash/bonk/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. It may be as simple as that, or it could be something else. Often, it's the simplest answer(s) that tend to be correct.

^This was my first thought as well. My anxiety jumps sky high if I drop my calories too low. Anything below 1400 calories for a prolonged period of time and I'm a mess.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Don't give too much heed to the idea of 'clean' foods. There are too many so-called professionals out there who will tell you some foods are good and some are bad. While it's best to eat fruits, vegetables, and minimally-processed foods, everything in moderation is fine and can actually help you adhere to a long-term eating plan, rather than restricting and causing you to binge at some point because your willpower over time gets weak and no one can constantly say no to delicious things. No need to feel guilty about it, just keep track and try to feed yourself quality food.

Side Note: Do not ever listen to anything Food Babe says - ever. She is bonkers. That also goes for any extremist wanna-be food pro telling you certain foods are evil, dirty, or toxic. Odds are they are hocking supplements and making money off of making people afraid of food.

As for your symptoms, if they persist, do go to a doctor. If caffeine or alcohol isn't at play (as far as increasing/decreasing regular exposure), then you shouldn't have extreme fluctuations just because you're eating more fruits and veggies. It may be temporary or even due to some stress in your life maybe you're not realizing. I do hope you figure it all out. Take care.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I read the labels on everything if I can't pronounce the first 5 things I don't buy it- Congrats

wait so your lack of education is dictating your eating patterns? That doesn't even make any sense.

OP- you may just be overly restricting certain things. Double check your macros- double check your calorie counts. If you really are having a serious physical side effects seeing a doctor might be in order.
  • 777luna2014
    777luna2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read the labels on everything if I can't pronounce the first 5 things I don't buy it- Congrats

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks to all the people who have left really helpful comments - I really appreciate your time.
    To those that have just come here to *kitten* and moan at me and my question (which I feel is perfectly valid) - keep on walking thank you.

What you fail to realize, are the snarky comments are the ones that are truly helpful.

Stop trying to set all sorts of rules to weight loss. There's only one rule: Calories in < Calories out to lose weight. To maintain proper nutrition, make sure the CI part of the equation fits your macros.

The headaches and anxiety aren't from "detoxing". Your body detoxes all day, every day, 24 hours a day, irrespective of what you eat. They are likely from too low of calories, electrolyte imbalance, dehydration, or nutrient deficiency. Or, just anxiety, a mental health issue.
  • defectivelemon
    defectivelemon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly what you're taking about. I too get that feeling sometimes... The tightening of the chest, anxious, change in breathing, ultra alertness, often panicky... It's all very uncomfortable and unpleasant. I haven't quite pinpointed what triggers it, but it comes a certain time after eating. I've also found that I can bring on something similar with caffeine, when I drink too much green tea. Food is definitely a factor for me though, so I wish you the best of luck with your tinkering. Let me know if you figure it out!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My heart races sometimes but it's related to my heading in to menopause. There could be multiple causes and it might be worthwhile to rule some of them out with some blood tests.