not losing weight

Options
I haven't lost any weight over this week even though I've been eating 1000 calories per day and working out every day. any thoughts on why this could be happening?

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Sodium intake, TOM or ovulation, new/increased exercise, stress, sleep...all can contribute to water retention. Weight loss is not linear, and there will always be days or weeks where you don't lose.

You should also be eating more than 1000 calories, and you probably are just looking at your log for today. Read this thread: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101#latest
  • cortesr425
    cortesr425 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Eat more may actually be accurate. 1,000 calories is generally not enough especially if you are working out too. I found out the hard way. Your body will stop losing weight because it is in starvation mode. Eat the required amount everyday and you should see some changes. I know it is counter-intuitive and I only believe it because it happened to me. Good luck.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your logging is probably off. Did you use the recipe builder for that PB sandwich? Do you use a food scale? How accurate are your entries?

Eating under 1200 and exercising on top of that isn't a very healthy or sustainable goal however.
  • malibu927
    Options
    cortesr425 wrote: »
    Eat more may actually be accurate. 1,000 calories is generally not enough especially if you are working out too. I found out the hard way. Your body will stop losing weight because it is in starvation mode. Eat the required amount everyday and you should see some changes. I know it is counter-intuitive and I only believe it because it happened to me. Good luck.

Nope
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight over this week even though I've been eating 1000 calories per day and working out every day. any thoughts on why this could be happening?

Eat enough so that you're creating a 500 calorie deficit daily. 1000 calories plus working out is just not enough; you're probably not even satisfying your BMR. Also, make sure you are accurately tracking and weighing everything.
  • mtringali13
    mtringali13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Nope

so that's not true?
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Possible reasons you're not seeing a loss:
    1. You're not giving it enough time.
    2. You're retaining water.
    3. You're eating more than you think you are.

If you do not have one already, I recommend getting a food scale and weighing everything you consume. This will give you a more accurate view on what you're truly eating. If you are really eating 1,000 calories (an unhealthy deficit for most people, by the way), you will notice a loss eventually.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Nope

so that's not true?

That is not true.

If your body stopped losing weight because it is in 'starvation mode', people in underdeveloped countries wouldn't be significantly underweight.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Based on your food diary, you don't use a food scale to weigh your food. That's your problem. Chances are you are eating much more than you think which is why you aren't losing weight.

Also, 1000 calories is not enough. You need to eat 1200 calories MINIMUM.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    This forum really should disable people from using the words "starvation mode" together.
  • malibu927
    Options

Nope

so that's not true?

No, it isn't. However, you should be eating more than 1000 to make sure you're properly fueling your body and giving it the nutrients it needs. Start logging accurately and change your deficit to half a pound a week, as you have very little to lose.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating more than 1000 calories a day. Weigh your food, and sknt use generic entries in the database. Also, calorie burns are largely overestimated on here. If you eat any back, only eat half.

Is this your first week? Remember, weight loss isnt exact. It's trial and error. Be accurate with logging, log ALL food, and give it a few weeks. If the change isn't in your favor, adjust. Good luck!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Based on your food diary, you don't use a food scale to weigh your food. That's your problem. Chances are you are eating much more than you think which is why you aren't losing weight.

Also, 1000 calories is not enough. You need to eat 1200 calories MINIMUM.

This.

Work on your logging. Weigh all your solids and measure your liquids. A food scale is the best $10 investment you'll ever make.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @mtringali13 check out this link re starvation mode.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • cortesr425
    cortesr425 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Okay, point taken. Won't use those two words together again. Perhaps I misunderstood what my doctor explained to me. No arguing here. At least we all agree 1,000 calories is not enough.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    This forum really should disable people from using the words "starvation mode" together.

I've just posted a suggestion to that effect for the mods. So freaking over reading those two words.
  • 123user456
    123user456 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    c5s46lxxzfe2.jpg
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Most likely its logging inaccuracies. Get a food scale.