Giving up soda , for good

Options
124»

Replies

• Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've decided after a trip to the dentist that it is time I give up my diet -coke addiction for good. I've tried to stop before but get headaches after a day or two cold turkey . Has anyone given up sodas ? Do u replace them with another drink? Thanks
    Just keep going....there is withdrawal, but it will soon be over!
    Have you tried kombucha? It's a fermented drink ( it is acidic, though), but it's good for you, and low in sugar/cals

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners are no bueno. They actually mess with your blood sugar! Your brain gets the sweet signal from the tongue, and tells the liver that "sugar is coming, so stop releasing sugar into the blood stream, and start storing it!" So your blood sugar decreases because the drink was devoid of sugar, and you get HUNGRY. This hunger lasts for hours, too.
    So if you drink diet soda, you'll have to remember to ignore the hungry feeling.

No, none of this happens.
    Yes. It does lol

Well, this compelling argument has certainly convinced me. :huh:
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've decided after a trip to the dentist that it is time I give up my diet -coke addiction for good. I've tried to stop before but get headaches after a day or two cold turkey . Has anyone given up sodas ? Do u replace them with another drink? Thanks
    Have you tried kombucha? It's a fermented drink ( it is acidic, though), but it's good for you, and low in sugar/cals

Okay, so you're suggesting a drink that is acidic (i.e. causes that enamel damage you mentioned earlier) and contains calories...but bash diet sodas??
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are no bueno. They actually mess with your blood sugar! Your brain gets the sweet signal from the tongue, and tells the liver that "sugar is coming, so stop releasing sugar into the blood stream, and start storing it!" So your blood sugar decreases because the drink was devoid of sugar, and you get HUNGRY. This hunger lasts for hours, too.
    So if you drink diet soda, you'll have to remember to ignore the hungry feeling.

This is all very incorrect. In fact, I feel fuller after drinking a diet soda. Explain that.
    Ummmm.....your tummy expanded?

Exactly. I didn't have any of the intense sugar cravings you implied. I've never seen scientific proof of your claims.

there WAS a study that showed a slight elevation in blood sugar level, at maximum levels of sweetener, and they believed it had to do with the reaction of gut bacteria.

Personally, at 2 gallons of diet soda a day, my blood sugar levels have always been ideal.

I think this person probably gets their information from some blog or another.
  • Justygirl77
    Options

Okay, so you're suggesting a drink that is acidic (i.e. causes that enamel damage you mentioned earlier) and contains calories...but bash diet sodas??
    So sorry to bash your diet sodas, no offense intended. I don't like them, but you can drink them. And if you offered me one, I would probably join you and drink a little. But if you also had a kombucha, I would be extremely happy about that! They are totally different....acids are not created equal...which is good news because a kombucha really hits that spot that people usually drink sodas for. But kombucha is healthy for you.

• Justygirl77
    Options

No, none of this happens.
    Yes. It does lol

Well, this compelling argument has certainly convinced me. :huh:
    You're welcome!!

• Justygirl77
    Options

This is all very incorrect. In fact, I feel fuller after drinking a diet soda. Explain that.

Exactly. I didn't have any of the intense sugar cravings you implied. I've never seen scientific proof of your claims.

there WAS a study that showed a slight elevation in blood sugar level, at maximum levels of sweetener, and they believed it had to do with the reaction of gut bacteria.

Personally, at 2 gallons of diet soda a day, my blood sugar levels have always been ideal.

Well, no.
  • maidentl
    Options

Probably so! If diet soda radically messed with blood sugar and insulin, it would not be recommended to diabetics.

• Justygirl77
    Options
    Sorry I was feeling feisty. I thought I could find where I read that and jumped the gun with my comment. However, diet soda drinkers tend to be cranky.
  • Sutnak
    Options
    Sorry I was feeling feisty. I thought I could find where I read that and jumped the gun with my comment. However, diet soda drinkers tend to be cranky.

diet soda drinkers are 83% more likely to be cranky about misinformation.

• maidentl
    Options

anigif_enhanced-26297-1391614135-6.gif
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Lots of drinks are acidic. I don't think minor diet soda consumption is a huge problem. Good dental hygiene and genetics play a much greater role in dental health.
  • Justygirl77
    Options

Okay I found the information from F. Batmanghelidj, MD on pp 106-109 of his book.
    Don't be cranky, be happy=-)

• Sutnak
    Options

Okay I found the information from F. Batmanghelidj, MD on pp 106-109 of his book.

isn't that the water cure quack?
  • maidentl
    Options

isn't that the water cure quack?

:laugh:

• bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey on soda like 6 years ago. It was tough. Oddly enough, though, I think the amount of caffeine I was getting when I drank a lot of soda at least kept my metabolism going. After I quit soda and caffeine all together my weight went up considerably. So now I'm moving towards coffee or tea for my caffeine at least.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I love diet coke and diet 7-up and have great teeth

Drink it with a meal

Don't continually snack

Don't brush your teeth within 30 minutes of eating

Use floss and dental sticks and an electric toothbrush and don't rinse out the toothpaste
  • kskinnyperfect
    kskinnyperfect Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Drink it with a meal

Don't continually snack

Use floss and dental sticks and an electric toothbrush and don't rinse out the toothpaste

But how old are you? I know different people have different consequences from soda but you also have to consider someone who has 10 years of soda drinking under their belt will have a lot less damage then someone with 30.
  • maidentl
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Drink it with a meal

Don't continually snack

But how old are you? I know different people have different consequences from soda but you also have to consider someone who has 10 years of soda drinking under their belt will have a lot less damage then someone with 30.

I have over 30. No damage. Only recently got my first cavity but I even question that as I also recently learned my dentist is a rip-off artist.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    There's so many myths in this thread I'm not even going to try to bother correcting them all. If you honestly believe that soda is what makes you have cavities, then don't drink it. I never got a single cavity until I was 22 and it was when my braces were taken off and I had a few cavities around where the brackets were because I was unable to brush in those areas.

Sugar, soda, etc. do not cause cavities, not brushing and flossing properly causes cavities. My mom has been in the dental field for over 30 years and even she will tell you that what causes cavities is allowing any type of food sit on your teeth for too long without brushing.