Cleaner Eating and Calorie Counting

Hey!

I've always taken the low calorie route when dieting which is obviously essential with weight loss however lately I've been taking a more healthier approach with my diet. Following recipes from books such as Deliciously Ella and Madeleine Shaw's Get The Glow - these recipes tend to be high in calories but they are so good and actually make you feel fuller for longer. Is anyone else using a clean eating approach or should I say 'cleaner' ingredients with their journey on here? I understand everyone has a different meaning to the term 'clean'. Obviously we could all eat a cheeseburger and a copius amount of Quavers and still be in our daily calorie goal.

x

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    you could also look at skinnytaste.com .. excellent recipes and good calorie counts

got to ask what's unclean about a homemade cheeseburger?

Oh and I've just eaten a pack of Quavers .. 85 calories .. easily accommodated deliciousness with a diet coke

and go...
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm pretty new to mfp but I read this all the time: "clean eating". What does this mean? It sounds like eating like a normal person? If so, why are people packaging it like an "approach", as a new sort of restrictive diet?
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    I'm pretty new to mfp but I read this all the time: "clean eating". What does this mean? It sounds like eating like a normal person? If so, why are people packaging it like an "approach", as a new sort of restrictive diet?

Money. Books and sponsored blogs etc. promoting it, people buying into the latest jargon cos it's fashionable, plus a bit of good old fashioned pseudoscience.

It's pretty simple to have a well rounded healthy diet. But that doesn't sell books or bait clicks or whatever. So the idea of 'clean' eating has been packaged and sold and people are buying (into) it.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    you could also look at skinnytaste.com .. excellent recipes and good calorie counts

got to ask what's unclean about a homemade cheeseburger?

Oh and I've just eaten a pack of Quavers .. 85 calories .. easily accommodated deliciousness with a diet coke

and go...

I love a good cheeseburger...what's wrong with those?

and my miss vickie's chips nom nom...and my protein powder I guess wouldn't be clean either...nor my almond milk ...it's processed and packaged...
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Only clean eating I do: wash my hands before eating, wash fruit/veggies, will actually wear gloves at work to eat if eating something by hand (easier clean up if we get a job while eating- just take of gloves).
  • crystalgulliver
    crystalgulliver Posts: 45 Member
    I'm talking more of a McDonalds. Basically just eating anything that isn't processed in anyway or has additional unnecessary ingredients. (I think, lol). Unless you are making your worth my selling a book promoting this or genuinely dislike chocolate and fast food I thinks it's pretty impossible to completely eliminate all the 'bad' food - wish I could!
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Hey!

I've always taken the low calorie route when dieting which is obviously essential with weight loss however lately I've been taking a more healthier approach with my diet. Following recipes from books such as Deliciously Ella and Madeleine Shaw's Get The Glow - these recipes tend to be high in calories but they are so good and actually make you feel fuller for longer. Is anyone else using a clean eating approach or should I say 'cleaner' ingredients with their journey on here? I understand everyone has a different meaning to the term 'clean'. Obviously we could all eat a cheeseburger and a copius amount of Quavers and still be in our daily calorie goal.

x

Quavers? And you call yourself a clean eater?! Skips are far superior.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I'm talking more of a McDonalds. Basically just eating anything that isn't processed in anyway or has additional unnecessary ingredients. (I think, lol). Unless you are making your worth my selling a book promoting this or genuinely dislike chocolate and fast food I thinks it's pretty impossible to completely eliminate all the 'bad' food - wish I could!

see there is no bad food.

McDonalds isn't the devil. I actually logged an entire day full of it one day and stayed in Maintenance and hit my macros including fat.

and not processed well good luck with that....even organic apple sauce is processed.
  • crystalgulliver
    Hey!

x

In which part of that did I say I ate that? They taste like feet.
  • crystalgulliver
    SezxyStef wrote: »

McDonalds isn't the devil. I actually logged an entire day full of it one day and stayed in Maintenance and hit my macros including fat.

and not processed well good luck with that....even organic apple sauce is processed.

What a revelation!
  • Sued0nim
    Hey!

x

FREAK!
  • crystalgulliver
    Hey!

x

And also when did I call myself a clean eater?! Far from! I'm asking if ANYONE ELSE here is taking that approach
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I disagree, Ronald McDonald is one very scary clown :-p.... Ohh you mean the restaurant itself- yeah, it's not the devil :-).
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    I've never bothered with this so called "clean" eating. I try my best to make meals from scratch at home but if I want to go out and nom a cheeseburger... I will. It won't kill anyone. Eating nothing but Big Macs for the rest of your days might not be so good but in moderation everything is good. Except jelly. That is just rancid and should be banned forever and ever amen.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Hey!

x

And also when did I call myself a clean eater?! Far from! I'm asking if ANYONE ELSE here is taking that approach

I take an everything in moderation approach. I eat a diet that most people would consider to be quite healthy, but now and then? I end the day with some gelato or a cookie or two.

Now, a "clean" eater wouldn't consider my foods clean... I used boxed low sodium broth and canned tomatoes when I make my lentil stew... but I do scratch cook all of our main meals. I eat cottage cheese and plain Greek yogurt too. And they are processed, but I consider those to be good sources of quality protein. So, I really don't care what a super "clean" eater judges my food to be. I'm eating nutrient-dense food AND treats here and there.

Oh... almost forgot. I'm a vegetarian. I supplement my protein intake with protein powder and bars. They're processed. Don't care. They're delicious. I'm having a smoothie today with protein powder, almond milk, powdered peanut butter, and frozen strawberries. Loaded with protein and vitamins, and very filling.

The irony of clean eating is... really it should be eating stuff that you've grown yourself... which may be covered in soil. Tee hee hee.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    katem999 wrote: »

Money. Books and sponsored blogs etc. promoting it, people buying into the latest jargon cos it's fashionable, plus a bit of good old fashioned pseudoscience.

It's pretty simple to have a well rounded healthy diet. But that doesn't sell books or bait clicks or whatever. So the idea of 'clean' eating has been packaged and sold and people are buying (into) it.

+1
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Hey!

x

FREAK!

You're BOTH wrong.

WOTSITS.

(Also, i can't be bothered with the whole clean-eating thing. Sometimes there is something so satisfying about a Burger King or McDonalds. As long as i stay in my calories and i'm eating everything in moderation, i'm happy. To stay on topic :p).
    Hey!

x

FREAK!

You're BOTH wrong.

WOTSITS.

(Also, i can't be bothered with the whole clean-eating thing. Sometimes there is something so satisfying about a Burger King or McDonalds. As long as i stay in my calories and i'm eating everything in moderation, i'm happy. To stay on topic :p).

Marry me. We can scoff Wotsits and Big Macs and Chicken Royale's for all eternity!
  • lemurcat12
    Hey!

x

I mostly cook from whole foods. I consider that just regular eating, not an "approach." I also try to eat nutritious balanced meals and don't like most fast food (well, depending on how fast food is defined, I'm never sure what counts). However, some say "clean eating" is not eating food that comes in packages and that seems silly. My yogurt and oatmeal and eggs all come in packages, for example. That it's in a package doesn't make it bad for me.

I think the question about what a particular food adds to your diet is separate from whether it's "highly processed."

I suppose if one was eating lots of fast food or store-bought sweets going to mostly home cooking might seem like a big change, but I really don't think it's so uncommon. I also don't think I need special rules about NEVER eating certain things that I eat rarely anyway.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    The following represents my own personal definition based on what works for me and my body - as YMMV there is no need to peck it to death.

When I think of 'clean eating,' one thing that comes to mind is 'cleaner burning fuel.' My body processes bread products made from sprouted grains differently than those from regular flour, which makes me bingy or sleepy. When I recommitted to MFP and losing weight, I also stopped making flour-based baked goods, which I just don't process well and cannot eat in moderation.

Other things that come to mind are additives, preservatives, HFCS, and artificial colors and flavors. So for me, a 'clean' bun would be the sprouted one below.

I might make cheeseburgers tonight. They'd fit my food ethics because the beef and cheese would come from cows not raised on factory farms or given antibiotics and hormones. The bun would be Sprouted Whole Grain English Muffins
    Organic Sprouted Wheat, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Filtered Water, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.

instead of Wonder Bread buns:
    Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Barley Malt, Ferrous Sulfate (Iron), B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid)], Water, Sweetener (High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar), Yeast, Soybean Oil, Contains 2% or Less of Wheat Gluten, Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Dough Conditioners (May Contain Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Tricalcium Phosphate, ethoxylated Mono And Diglycerides, Datem, Dicalcium Phosphate, Mono And Diglycerides, Calcium Dioxide, and/or Sorbic Acid), Vinegar, Soy Flour, Yeast Nutrients (May Contain Ammonium Chloride, Ammonium Phosphate, Diammonium Phosphate, Ammonium Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate and/or Calcium Carbonate), Cornstarch, Wheat Starch, Enzymes, Calcium Propionate (to Retain Freshness), Soy Lecithin.

• Sued0nim
    Hey!

x

FREAK!

You're BOTH wrong.

WOTSITS.

achually .. my new favourites

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Seriously now .. it's a crisp .. with cheese AND bacon

beat that

• Sued0nim
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The following represents my own personal definition based on what works for me and my body - as YMMV there is no need to peck it to death.

When I think of 'clean eating,' one thing that comes to mind is 'cleaner burning fuel.' My body processes bread products made from sprouted grains differently than those from regular flour, which makes me bingy or sleepy. When I recommitted to MFP and losing weight, I also stopped making flour-based baked goods, which I just don't process well and cannot eat in moderation.

Other things that come to mind are additives, preservatives, HFCS, and artificial colors and flavors. So for me, a 'clean' bun would be the sprouted one below.

I might make cheeseburgers tonight. They'd fit my food ethics because the beef and cheese would come from cows not raised on factory farms or given antibiotics and hormones. The bun would be Sprouted Whole Grain English Muffins
    Organic Sprouted Wheat, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Filtered Water, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.

instead of Wonder Bread buns:
    Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Barley Malt, Ferrous Sulfate (Iron), B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid)], Water, Sweetener (High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar), Yeast, Soybean Oil, Contains 2% or Less of Wheat Gluten, Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Dough Conditioners (May Contain Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Tricalcium Phosphate, ethoxylated Mono And Diglycerides, Datem, Dicalcium Phosphate, Mono And Diglycerides, Calcium Dioxide, and/or Sorbic Acid), Vinegar, Soy Flour, Yeast Nutrients (May Contain Ammonium Chloride, Ammonium Phosphate, Diammonium Phosphate, Ammonium Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate and/or Calcium Carbonate), Cornstarch, Wheat Starch, Enzymes, Calcium Propionate (to Retain Freshness), Soy Lecithin.

LOL

19cththprtrp4png.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    edited May 2015
    Is it your position that there is no difference between a Mother Nature additive and one used by Wonder Bread?

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,147 Member
    Hey!

x

To me, when you said the bolded in your OP, I took that as you eat clean.
    Hey!

x

I mostly eat what I want within my calorie goal for the day. Definitely not a clean eater (as in no processed foods).
  • crystalgulliver
    zyxst wrote: »
    Hey!

x

To me, when you said the bolded in your OP, I took that as you eat clean.
    Hey!

x

I mostly eat what I want within my calorie goal for the day. Definitely not a clean eater (as in no processed foods).

Each to their own
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Hey!

x

FREAK!

You're BOTH wrong.

WOTSITS.

Marry me. We can scoff Wotsits and Big Macs and Chicken Royale's for all eternity!

I like your thinking! My boyfriend has one of those people who seems to have no appetite whatsoever. This sounds like a MUCH better partnership!
    Hey!

x

FREAK!

You're BOTH wrong.

WOTSITS.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

beat that

Also.....not a fan. They just taste a bit....i don't know. I can't put my finger on it. Slightly bland and boring but the taste itself....nope. You can keep those :p
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Is it your position that there is no difference between a Mother Nature additive and one used by Wonder Bread?

Is it your position that chemicals aren't always chemicals?

• Sued0nim
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Hey!

x

FREAK!

You're BOTH wrong.

WOTSITS.

I like your thinking! My boyfriend has one of those people who seems to have no appetite whatsoever. This sounds like a MUCH better partnership!
    Hey!

x

FREAK!

You're BOTH wrong.

WOTSITS.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

beat that

Also.....not a fan. They just taste a bit....i don't know. I can't put my finger on it. Slightly bland and boring but the taste itself....nope. You can keep those :p

I will

they are mine

Also Salt & Pepper PopChips with hummous
  • lemurcat12

I think people should eat however makes them feel best, and that includes avoiding foods they have negative reactions to. What I don't like is the "clean eating" term which is unnecessarily confusing and operates only to call other foods "unclean" and suggesting that rules that really have nothing to do with general good health are superior or ought to be followed by others.

For example, my body reacts to flour just fine. I don't eat all that much of it* (well, most of the time, I go through phases and have been actually eating sandwiches this past week, bought from a local place that has good quality bread) and I try to mostly eat whole grain options as I think they contribute more to my diet, but I get no negative reactions to eating non sprouted grains. So while I certainly don't think you should eat them, if you do, I don't get why that would make them "unclean."

*I'm just not a bread person, which is one big reason, along with convenience, why I added it back to my diet. It seemed ridiculous to cut out a food that I'd generally not overeat, and the same goes for pasta. I don't have the "binge on starchy carbs" gene, I guess. When I make ground beef I usually leave out the bun because the extra calories aren't worth it to me, but I don't think that makes my burger "cleaner." I also use beef from a local farm for ethical reasons, but I don't claim that's a weight loss or nutrition issue (I think there are minor nutrition benefits, but that's not why I bother).