6 mos later - in same boat. HOW TO STAY GOOD ON WEEKENDS?!

MickyMo
MickyMo Posts: 48 Member
I can be really good during the week and then the weekend hits and I'm a mess. I purposely started last Wednesday so that I would have 2 full good days before going into the weekend. I didn't do as bad as I usually do, but it still wasn't that good when I have 100+ lbs to lose. :(

Would wearing a tracker on my wrist help?

Replies

• tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    On the weekends it helps me to bring my own snacks. If I am going to the ballpark or something, I bring an apple, carrot sticks, etc. I also try to get in some outdoor activities like walking at the park or yard work.
  • fat2finPaul
    fat2finPaul Posts: 21 Member
    I'm the same at work (trucker) I eat cereal for breakfast and lunch but when at home (days off and weekends) I can't stick to it and then find it hard to get back on track at work.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    You're going to have to want to lose that weight. Weekends are really tough going but you can make the changes necessary.
    Are you weighing and logging all your food? What are your trigger/troublesome foods/meals on the weekends? Where can you make changes at those times?
    For weight loss, it's all about calories. A tracker (I'm assuming exercise or step tracker) would allow you some extra calories to eat on that day but if you aren't losing, I wouldn't eat those calories back.

Track everything carefully for a couple of weekends. Then look back over the weekend and see where the calories are accumulating and make changes there.
  • fat2finPaul
    fat2finPaul Posts: 21 Member
    I use the runtastic apps to log exercise, I only track at times where normally I would be exercising, ie when I walk to shop instead of driving or when purposely keeping busy doing jobs instead off sitting and watching TV it's amazing how it builds up, I try not to eat my exercise otherwise what's point doing it
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    I once read great advice about the weekends: plan for the "special" occasions but eat exactly the same the rest of the weekend as you would during the week. For instance, say you have a special event Saturday night. Fine. You'll have to figure out how to make the best choices at that event, and you may over eat. But Saturday's breakfast and lunch (and possibly snacks) should stay exactly the same as a Tuesday. So if you normally eat a salad for lunch during the week, eat that for Saturday's lunch. If you normally eat oatmeal or eggs for breakfast during the week, stick with that on Sunday morning. In other words, don't use Saturday night's special event as an excuse to totally derail the whole weekend. I hope this helps!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Also, I highly recommend that you pre-log your food. I log mine in the night before (or at least earlier in the day). It's my plan for what I'm going to eat. Then I edit as necessary (because I'm human!). So this Friday night I'll pre-log my eating plan for Saturday (we don't have any major plans, so I'll eat everything at home, similar to what I would eat during the week). Saturday night I'll pre-log Sunday's typical breakfast. It gets tricky with lunch and dinner because we will go to my sister-in-law's house for Mother's Day and I don't know for sure what I will eat, so I won't pre-log that. But the rest of the weekend has a solid plan that I can stick to.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    MickyMo wrote: »
    I can be really good during the week and then the weekend hits and I'm a mess. I purposely started last Wednesday so that I would have 2 full good days before going into the weekend. I didn't do as bad as I usually do, but it still wasn't that good when I have 100+ lbs to lose. :(

Would wearing a tracker on my wrist help?

Why are weekends a mess? What happens on weekends?

For me, weekends give me the opportunity to be a whole lot more active than I am during the week. During the week, I am mainly stuck in an office ... but on the weekends, I can get out and hike, cycle, or do whatever. And that really helps.
  • MickyMo
    I like structure. At work I am a clock watcher. I eat breakfast at the same time, lunch normally at the same time, etc. When I'm home and with 5 kids, I'm all over the place - sometimes literally. But what I've realized is that having a few cocktails Saturday night is making me much more hungry the next day. Sundays become so depressing because all I do is sit home, watch TV and eat. The kids are all out of the house and at their Dad's and I'm left alone, feeling fat and unmotivated.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    So you need to find something to do on Sundays! I struggle with boredom eating too, and need to find things to do. Go for a long walk, call up some girlfriends and get together, do yard work. Keep your mind occupied!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    I like structure. At work I am a clock watcher. I eat breakfast at the same time, lunch normally at the same time, etc. When I'm home and with 5 kids, I'm all over the place - sometimes literally. But what I've realized is that having a few cocktails Saturday night is making me much more hungry the next day. Sundays become so depressing because all I do is sit home, watch TV and eat. The kids are all out of the house and at their Dad's and I'm left alone, feeling fat and unmotivated.

Don't sit at home ... go outside! Go for long walks. Go hiking in the hills. Get a bicycle and go for long bicycle rides.

Or this ... on Mondays, look up what's on in your area the next weekend. Around here, once or twice a month we've got fairs and shows and all sorts going on. And of course there are markets every weekend.

Check with your local Tourist Information place to see if there are guided tours of things in your area ... especially walking tours or other active tours. Some organisations take people on cycling tours. Others take groups out in kayaks. In my area there are several archery clubs which have beginners classes on weekends ... if I ever get a weekend free where I'm not busy doing something else, I want to do that!

Basically ... make a point of getting out of the house and doing different things ... especially active things.

• Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Lots of great advice already posted. The only way to stay good on the weekends is for you to actually want to stay good on the weekends. ;)
  • joe3052
    joe3052 Posts: 28 Member

I know how you feel. I have a lot of family and there is always a family party or event on the weekend with plenty of alcohol and fatty foods. It's really tough to stay focus but you have to try and keep your discipline on weekends. I can't tell you how many times I've felt dumb taking my own snacks and being criticized by family and friends because I'm eating a hamburger wrapped in lettuce. But you need to stay true to your goals. Don't hide it, embrace it. As for cocktails I usually will have a small amount of liquor to relax with friend's or family, ever now and then I'll lose control. When i drink too much i hydrate more then usual the next day and force myself to be active so i can get back on track. And when you feel lonely and depressed get up and force yourself to be active. You'd be surprised what kind of hobbies you'd fall in love with. It doesn't even have to do with exercise. It's all about keeping your mind busy.
  • MickyMo
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Also, I highly recommend that you pre-log your food. I log mine in the night before (or at least earlier in the day). It's my plan for what I'm going to eat. Then I edit as necessary (because I'm human!). So this Friday night I'll pre-log my eating plan for Saturday (we don't have any major plans, so I'll eat everything at home, similar to what I would eat during the week). Saturday night I'll pre-log Sunday's typical breakfast. It gets tricky with lunch and dinner because we will go to my sister-in-law's house for Mother's Day and I don't know for sure what I will eat, so I won't pre-log that. But the rest of the weekend has a solid plan that I can stick to.

EXCELLENT IDEA. This is perfect for me!
  • MickyMo
    joe3052 wrote: »

I know how you feel. I have a lot of family and there is always a family party or event on the weekend with plenty of alcohol and fatty foods. It's really tough to stay focus but you have to try and keep your discipline on weekends. I can't tell you how many times I've felt dumb taking my own snacks and being criticized by family and friends because I'm eating a hamburger wrapped in lettuce. But you need to stay true to your goals. Don't hide it, embrace it. As for cocktails I usually will have a small amount of liquor to relax with friend's or family, ever now and then I'll lose control. When i drink too much i hydrate more then usual the next day and force myself to be active so i can get back on track. And when you feel lonely and depressed get up and force yourself to be active. You'd be surprised what kind of hobbies you'd fall in love with. It doesn't even have to do with exercise. It's all about keeping your mind busy.

"Don't hide it embrace it" - good point! I don't even drink a lot with family, it's just with my ex husband who lives down the street. :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Weekends are why my weigh in days are Thursday. lol
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    joe3052 wrote: »

I like what joe said about being surprised about what kind of hobbies you'd fall in love with. They don't even have to do with exercise. If you don't feel like going outside on Sundays and being active, then try taking up a hobby that will keep your hands occupied, like knitting or crocheting! This way you'll be reaching for a ball of yarn instead of a burger or some other food. You could also be productive with that time and make cute gifts for friends and family! (blankets, scarves, hats, etc.)
  • cblack8
    cblack8 Posts: 42 Member
    I'm completely with redwngs and joe3052 on the hobbies, I like to paint and I've noticed that on nights I'm painting I don't want to eat everything in my apartment like I usually do.
  • joe3052
    joe3052 Posts: 28 Member
    Sometimes I've even re-arranged furniture and cleaned for a few hours. Time flies by when your busy and even if your not do a real physical activity it's still good for your mind and heart. Feel free to follow me, I track my activities and nutrition daily and sometimes I go over but hey we're human. I believe failure only makes you stronger in the long run.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    I don't even drink a lot with family, it's just with my ex husband who lives down the street. :)
    Maybe find a better activity on Saturday night? He's your ex for a reason. ;)

• JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    Yeah, I enjoy drinking on weekends also. I tried to switch to lighter options (vodka and tonic.) It's those tastey beers that get me (love blue moon!)
    I've still been able to take off 22 pounds in the past two months (60 in the past year and a half) with drinking on weekends (I try not to go overboard. )

I like the advice of eating how you would during the week. That has helped me greatly! I try to eat salads and super healthy things all week. Mixing them up with a few different dressings or thin N trim turkey, veggie burger, etc. I did that for awhile till the point where I would believe anything other than it was a treat!

Now on weekends I will make a side of shirataki noodles and some marinaded chicken. Then it feels like it's a reward of sorts because I been eating salads for dinner and turkey sandwiches on wheat all during the week. The good thing about it, is that the reward was still healthy!

I have become pretty accustomed to salads. I think it gets easier and easier the more you practice. It took me a long time to get into the swing of a life change of eating poorly (my parents always made bad things). Fell off the wagon so to speak plenty of times. Especially going out to restaurants with other people! I'm so use to ordering salads now. The only thing that upsets me is when a place says they don't have oil and vinegar dressing (i'm like really.)

Sorry, I'm rambling on, but practice makes perfect! We are creatures of habit. You got this! You're on MFP so you're in the right direction already!