No Judgement: what little things/weird habits to help maintain your weight

Options
Backstory: I've been at my goal weight for approximately 9 months now.
Stats: female, 5'4", 127lbs +/-. Lost 80lbs

I use to have a sweet tooth. Therefore, in order to keep it a bay I don't keep sweets readily available. For example, instead of baking an entire cake or pie I purchase individual slices. I figure out of sight is out of mind...

What are some of the little things you do to help maintain your weight?

Replies

• hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    80 lbs, wow! Great job. One thing I try to do is get on the treadmill around 3 p.m., or try to run an errand around that time. That's the time I'm hungry and start thinking about a snack. Anything to keep me out of the kitchen.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Congrats on your loss, well done!

Keeping stuff out of sight, out of mind, out of mouth - is not a little thing! I do that too, no reason to make things harder than they need to be.

I also eat meals and don't (at least almost never) eat between meals.

I don't drink my calories, except for rare treats (like hot cocoa). I'll have smoothies, but they are creamily think and usually eaten with a spoon, and I consider them meals or part of meals.

I still log my food. (Not here anymore, I've switched to Fitbit.) I plan what I'm going to eat 1 to several days ahead and add needed supplies to shopping list on my phone. That's always with me.

I eat a vide variety of wonderful, delicious, tasty and healthy foods every day, for every meal. I decide what I want in advance, and make it fit in my plan.

I pick my favorite treats when I indulge in lower nutrient foods, but I don't do that often.

Edit: And I am a lot less lazy than before - I run errands more often, and go for walks, and try to walk whenever I don't have to take the bus.
  • KarolJohnson2127
    KarolJohnson2127 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to eat candy in the evening (as a treat, I allowed the calories for it), but it often turned into binging, because sugar just makes you more hungry. I thought i could just eat a little piece and be done, but finally admitted to myself that that's just not gonna happen, so i only eat sweets in the morning now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Moderation on sweets (I have a ton at home but eat one serving at a time), workout out every day, and keeping a deficit all the time to make up for that blasted PMS week where I typically end up 3500 calories over.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing I did when losing. Pre-log the majority of my food. Pre-portion snacks so I can grab them guilt-free. Focus on macros within my calorie budget. I'm still a little nervous about ever going on a trip where I can't log accurately but I guess I'll just need to pack lots of granola/protein bars and pre-portioned nuts and chocolate for those times when my blood sugar crashes from not eating right (it's more a health issue than a diet issue that I've learned to manage through diet since the doctors can't find anything wrong).
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    80 lbs, wow, you lost most of you! Nice! :wink:

I am still losing, but what helps me is intermediate fasting. Some days I eat what I need, or a bit more, and some days when I have willpower I eat (much) less than I need. This creates a net deficit. When I don't have the willpower I can just choose to eat. This has worked well for me in the past, it's been my main method to lose 45 pounds.

When I will go on maintenance I will design my meals to contain a certain amount of calories (and I will also sure that they contain the nutrients/vitamins that I need), so that I know how much I eat. I may do that earlier, but now I am still busy with my studies so I don't want to put too much mental effort into this weight loss project.

But overall I am quite relaxed with food and it works for me. However, I don't buy soda, juice, chips and candy. I guess this saves a lot of calories.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids in the house so there are going to be crisps and snacks, but I try to buy things that they like and I don't in terms of flavours. I have tried to keep a lot of the same good habits, like making most sauces myself (batch cooking is great), and not adding lots of extras like cheese when not needed.
    Meal planning is key because when we are all hungry on our way home that's when it could be tempting to have chips or something, but knowing there is something ready in the slow cooker helps remove the temptation.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I bought 6" pie and cake pans and I always freeze leftover cookie dough so I can cook 2 at a time. ..same thing with frozen Parker house rolls. I thaw just two.

If I want something salty and crunchy I have all kinds of pickled vegatables on hand.

Getting my fiancé on the same page with diet has made a huge difference.

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'm not at maintenance yet but you guys are giving some great tools for getting there and staying there!
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump for when I get there!
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you buy a pie cut it in to pieces and freeze individually. Measure things in zip locks a head so you know the calories. Mark on the pie how many calories it has in it. Keeping it frozen keeps it at bay a bit.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I won't buy things I'll overindulge on either. If I want it, I'll have to go get it. I will however bake things at home, and am pretty good at using moderation there. Its store bought things I have a problem with, especially bulk buys from Amazon. I cut that out.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Fun size chocolate bars are great too - bit of chocolate but usually under 100 cals.
  • blossom015
    blossom015 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    SirJaseph wrote: »
    80 lbs, wow, you lost most of you! Nice! :wink:

I am still losing, but what helps me is intermediate fasting. Some days I eat what I need, or a bit more, and some days when I have willpower I eat (much) less than I need. This creates a net deficit. When I don't have the willpower I can just choose to eat. This has worked well for me in the past, it's been my main method to lose 45 pounds.

When I will go on maintenance I will design my meals to contain a certain amount of calories (and I will also sure that they contain the nutrients/vitamins that I need), so that I know how much I eat. I may do that earlier, but now I am still busy with my studies so I don't want to put too much mental effort into this weight loss project.

But overall I am quite relaxed with food and it works for me. However, I don't buy soda, juice, chips and candy. I guess this saves a lot of calories.

This sounds like a good idea. I do worry about becoming too relaxed with food and diet.
  • blossom015
    blossom015 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I try to use some sort of vinegar based or cayenne pepper on certain foods to boost metabolism and encourage weight lost.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have 1/4 cup of really good ice cream every night - usually with cashews. I started when I was losing. Tastes wonderful. Does everything I want it to do. Completely satisfied with that amount. Oh, and if you put plain yogurt on it, the tart cream flavor is awesome on the sweet - like cheesecake is good with a sour cream frosting. Yum.

Weirdest thing? My kids and husband think I'm a loonbin for counting out the 51 pretzels in a serving or the 22 chips in an oz. What can I say? There are times I want to eat them, but I want to know how much.
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    blossom015 wrote: »
    I try to use some sort of vinegar based or cayenne pepper on certain foods to boost metabolism and encourage weight lost.

That's a myth

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I made derogatory remarks about the office doughnut-bringer's mother. She never offers me doughnuts anymore.
  • thegrimmycrew
    thegrimmycrew Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    sitting here eating my chips....slices of fresh raw yellow squash...crunchy..slightly sweet...lots o vitamin C