Abs are made in the kitchen?

Options
I'm not sure I fully understand this statement, can someone give some examples of what i should not be putting in my body versus what i need to have, i have a very lazy way of eating and looking to shred body fat for a work related weight loss/muscle gain thing going on to get healthy and i need some kind of guidance on what to do, thanks in advance

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but weightloss is in the kitchen, muscle definition in the gym.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You see abs when you are at a low enough bf %. You get to this by eating in a deficit.... So you get abs in the kitchen, not by doing a million crunches
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    eat less calories than your body uses and you will lose weight

standard advice is to set stats in MFP and set auto goal to -0.5 to 1 lb per week, or to calculate TDEE and set manual calorie goal to TDEE - 20%. weigh/log all foods. win
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You see abs when you are at a low enough bf %. You get to this by eating in a deficit.... So you get abs in the kitchen, not by doing a million crunches

This! Exactly this.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

This-visible abs come with a low bf%/losing enough weight.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Searched for 'abs' on allrecipes.com. Found nothing.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    jcalicott wrote: »
    I'm not sure I fully understand this statement, can someone give some examples of what i should not be putting in my body versus what i need to have, i have a very lazy way of eating and looking to shred body fat for a work related weight loss/muscle gain thing going on to get healthy and i need some kind of guidance on what to do, thanks in advance

+1 to what everyone above me says, but can you clarify this? Are you eating higher-calorie convenience foods? Maybe taking time to meal prep and plan would help you, or stocking your fridge and freezer with bags of frozen vegetables and precooked meat.

Also, you need to sort out which goal you want--weight loss or muscle gain, or maybe even a slow recomp--and go for that.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Searched for 'abs' on allrecipes.com. Found nothing.

Roasted abs for dinner... hmmm...

hannibal_lecter_fava_beans_and_a_nice_chianti.jpg

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    My abs were made with Fava beans and a nice chianti. And some fairy dust.

And a slight to moderate calorie deficit until I got to around 15-20% body fat.

Twisted minds think alike.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Basically what others have said. You can't see your abs if they are covered by fat.

So to get the abs you see on TV you need to lower your body fat percentage
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Add me if you'd like :) I lost 15-17 kgs without exercise but by changing my eating habits. I lost the last three by exercising more and still eating a deficit. At that point, my body fat percentage had gotten down low enough that I started to see toning results from working out! I was also lazy in eating and prep. I know how hard it is to find a solution with all those crazy diets out there. My simplest advice:

- Cut all sodas, alcohol etc. Drink water.
    - Base all your meals as much as you can around fresh produce (vegs, fruit) and protein (lean meat, chicken, fish, eggs). Add a (smaller) carb element, like pasta, rice or some bread.
    - Learn to avoid pre-packaged food or food with tons of ingredients. For example, make your own pasta sauce based on tomato or passata instead of one in a pot, make/bring your own salad/sandwiches, replace cookies/crisps full of random ingredients with dark chocolate, nuts, etc.

If you find it hard, take it step by step. I started with cutting all the drinks (makes a huge difference in calorie intake!), then added more vegetables and fruit, slowly cut processed foods, etc. etc. etc.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

fewer calories than you burn
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Add me if you'd like :) I lost 15-17 kgs without exercise but by changing my eating habits. I lost the last three by exercising more and still eating a deficit. At that point, my body fat percentage had gotten down low enough that I started to see toning results from working out! I was also lazy in eating and prep. I know how hard it is to find a solution with all those crazy diets out there. My simplest advice:

- Cut all sodas, alcohol etc. Drink water.
    - Base all your meals as much as you can around fresh produce (vegs, fruit) and protein (lean meat, chicken, fish, eggs). Add a (smaller) carb element, like pasta, rice or some bread.
    - Learn to avoid pre-packaged food or food with tons of ingredients. For example, make your own pasta sauce based on tomato or passata instead of one in a pot, make/bring your own salad/sandwiches, replace cookies/crisps full of random ingredients with dark chocolate, nuts, etc.

If you find it hard, take it step by step. I started with cutting all the drinks (makes a huge difference in calorie intake!), then added more vegetables and fruit, slowly cut processed foods, etc. etc. etc.

all well-meaning, if somewhat unneccessary, advice / guidelines

it's about calories and dropping body fat

nothing wrong with carbs, diet sodas, alcohol or packaged foods if you're counting your calories

hit your macros (protein and fats) at a minimum and go with something you can stick to
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

What should you not put into your body: Excess Calories

That is what you should not be putting into your body. Everything else is fine for the purposes of abs.

Anecdotal personal case study:

I went from this gut

6af6814f4b8d380204a69de6f2a6740328f0.jpg

To these abs

6af6a3ed20df969c4726da4cfec8ebdc42dd.jpg

And i did it eating Frozen Pizzas, Poptarts, Chef Boyardi, Taco Bell, and Pepsi[1] without doing a single ab-specific exercise (full disclosure, I'm a runner so there's a lot of non-ab exercise in there)

FOOT NOTE
    [1] I don't eat like that anymore for other reasons (doctors orders -blood pressure, cholesterol, etc (all ok now that diet was changed) that have nothing to do with abs.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While this is often spouted endlessly here, it's really taken out of context and isn't as simple as people make it sound, otherwise everyone would be walking around ripped. You have to have your eating dialed in. Some can do that while eating anything including lots of junk, others cannot. Its also a pretty safe bet that you need to be doing some form of exercise. The average person is not going to just diet their way to a 6 pack without busting thier backside doing some kind of exercise. Again some people will need to do more strength, others may prefer running, and others may do something totally different. There's no single route. Then factor in that some people just aren't going to get there. Genetics can trump all the best efforts. Or at least make it so difficult that its just not worth the effort to many people.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    "The best ab exercise is three sets of stop eating so damn much." ~ T-Nation
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    While this is often spouted endlessly here, it's really taken out of context and isn't as simple as people make it sound, otherwise everyone would be walking around ripped. You have to have your eating dialed in. Some can do that while eating anything including lots of junk, others cannot. Its also a pretty safe bet that you need to be doing some form of exercise. The average person is not going to just diet their way to a 6 pack without busting thier backside doing some kind of exercise. Again some people will need to do more strength, others may prefer running, and others may do something totally different. There's no single route. Then factor in that some people just aren't going to get there. Genetics can trump all the best efforts. Or at least make it so difficult that its just not worth the effort to many people.

Paraphrased:

"You get abs by maintaining a strict calorie deficit and it gets harder as you get closer to showing the abs. For some people, it's easier than it is for other people. Exercise can be used to help with the calorie deficit, but it's not always necessary."